Southern California Southern California

For You Members That Know Me and Others - I Had A Bad Wreck Roll-Bar Saved My Life!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 09:41 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Default For You Members That Know Me and Others - I Had A Bad Wreck Roll-Bar Saved My Life!!

I am ready to share this here now - because this will save lives, please see the link below -

For many of you that know me - Matt Decker 661-406-7516 AKA madmatt9471

I had a bad wreck a little over a week ago week (12/18/15) and another member did indeed post it - But if there was ever any doubt or you were ever sitting on the fence as to getting a roll-bar in you Vette please see my comments and pictures in post #4

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...bad-wreck.html

Please be safe and look out for those A-holes drivers who always are carelessly driving and don't care for others safety -

Thanks,Matt
661-406-7516
Old 12-30-2015, 10:09 AM
REKCUF
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Glad your ok!
Old 12-30-2015, 10:52 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----

Originally Posted by REKCUF
Glad your ok!
Thank you REKCUF - I appreciate that a lot!

Thanks,Matt
Old 12-30-2015, 11:37 AM
ULEWZ
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Matt, I don't believe we have ever met, but I am sorry to hear about your crash. I drive on the 14 every work day from the Valley to Palmdale and am always Leary of the cars going in and out of the car pool lane. I wish you a fast recovery.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:19 PM
JohnsC5
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, sorry for the loss, but glad you survived. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
Old 12-30-2015, 01:11 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

matt- glad you're okay and wishing a speedy and full recovery.

As a bike rider, too, I am super defensive, but believe the old saying, you never see the one that gets ya! Others' dark tint windows only make it MUCH worse
Old 12-30-2015, 03:43 PM
spiral04
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Holy Sh#t Matt!! Glad you are alive and on the road to recovery. Heal quickly and look forward to your posts in the new year.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:56 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ULEWZ
Matt, I don't believe we have ever met, but I am sorry to hear about your crash. I drive on the 14 every work day from the Valley to Palmdale and am always Leary of the cars going in and out of the car pool lane. I wish you a fast recovery.
Thank you for the kind words and yeah the 14 is dangerous man, people just don't care - I know we will meet up one day!

Originally Posted by JohnsC5
Wow, sorry for the loss, but glad you survived. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
Thank buddy you and I am working on healing up!

Originally Posted by whalepirot

As a bike rider, too, I am super defensive, but believe the old saying, you never see the one that gets ya! Others' dark tint windows only make it MUCH worse
Thank you, I drive I DWP Vanpool and I always constantly look for Bikes in my mirrors and pull left to give them room, as well as when I drive my personal vehicles. My son-in-law is also a Bike Rider and I always worry, but he always wears full gear.

Be safe and I will always will look out for you Bike riders!

Originally Posted by spiral04
Holy Sh#t Matt!! Glad you are alive and on the road to recovery. Heal quickly and look forward to your posts in the new year.
Thank you Spiral! I too am grateful to be alive, I wish I never had to experience it and hope no one ever has to again, but since I did it is my wishes that fellow Vette owners will protect themselves with a small investment and insurance by getting a Roll-Bar (and it is really non-intrusive, you can put your top in the back with the rear bent bars like I had)

Thanks,Matt
Old 12-31-2015, 10:15 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by whalepirot

I really miss riding street bikes (had an 89 springer softail all tricked out) after a few times out I knew it wouldnt last long too many close calls all freak accident type stuff...it was time. Miss riding dirt even more

Good to hear Matts Ok..some are so worried about weight from safety equiptment but sure are thankful when they do their job

x3 on that 14 is a deathtrap used it only to go to LACR before it closed

Last edited by cv67; 12-31-2015 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:21 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
I really miss riding street bikes (had an 89 springer softail all tricked out) after a few times out I knew it wouldnt last long too many close calls all freak accident type stuff...it was time. Miss riding dirt even more

Good to hear Matts Ok..some are so worried about weight from safety equiptment but sure are thankful when they do their job

x3 on that 14 is a deathtrap used it only to go to LACR before it closed
Couldn't say it any better myself, thank you buddy - weight times safety = my life saved! = Invaluable!

Thanks,Matt
Old 12-31-2015, 11:47 AM
bob arrowsmith
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default roll bars

Sorry to hear about your experience, so sad, and happy you pulled through, I have a c4 and will be looking into a roll bar in the near future, also was wondering if a dash cam would have been a help in getting a video of the person that caused the misfortune , get well soon. Bob
Old 12-31-2015, 12:04 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Would you believe my last Corvette I cut out the roll bar I had installed? Now you got me thinking again for my current one. Glad you're okay.

Steve & Karen
Old 12-31-2015, 01:06 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

So glad you're going to be ok Matt, that was FREAKIN scary!!!

Last edited by jbsblownc5; 12-31-2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:02 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

Best wishes for your complete recovery.

Hoping the healing happens quickly, but don't rush it, do it well.

My cousin had a full body cast (motorcycle) for a long time, and when he was finally able to get around, he had to go see his buddies, first thing.
His leg was very messed up, but he couldn't stay off of it during the duration of the healing , so now one leg is shorter than the other, from walking with the cast on too much, with so many bone breaks to heal.

I trust this is a one time deal, and not some kind of avant garde' life style statement .

Don't get down. I once met a man who survived three small plane crashes, and five car wreaks, and was not a stunt driver, just a guy. His wife was in a few of the crashes with him. They were a nice couple in their fifties, said they were a little stiff at times.

I was once talking to a car customizer , Dean Bachelor, who used to be a stunt man. He ran into the very situation others had warned him about. When you start to look forward to the crash and the pain, time to quit. He now makes movie cars. Or used to , it was a while ago. I bought a small pin striping instructional book from him.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:22 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bob arrowsmith
Sorry to hear about your experience, so sad, and happy you pulled through, I have a c4 and will be looking into a roll bar in the near future, also was wondering if a dash cam would have been a help in getting a video of the person that caused the misfortune , get well soon. Bob
It's worth the money - I don't think the dash cam would of survived - but if it did then yes it would of caught at least some of it!

Wolfe makes them for the C4 as well!

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
Would you believe my last Corvette I cut out the roll bar I had installed? Now you got me thinking again for my current one. Glad you're okay.

Steve & Karen
Steve thank you very much and like you and Karen, Tina and I just celebrated our 26th Anniversary - I did not think 27 would be coming around for us!

Re-thinking the Roll-Bar is worth it, it really is!

Please send mine and Tina's well wishes to Karen too!

Originally Posted by jbsblownc5
So glad you're going to be ok Matt, that was FREAKIN scary!!!
Joel,
You are so right and to experience it is a whole other thing. I'm glad to be here and thank you again buddy! It's always good hearing from you Joel!

Originally Posted by strand rider
Best wishes for your complete recovery.

Hoping the healing happens quickly, but don't rush it, do it well.

My cousin had a full body cast (motorcycle) for a long time, and when he was finally able to get around, he had to go see his buddies, first thing.
His leg was very messed up, but he couldn't stay off of it during the duration of the healing , so now one leg is shorter than the other, from walking with the cast on too much, with so many bone breaks to heal.

I trust this is a one time deal, and not some kind of avant garde' life style statement .

Don't get down. I once met a man who survived three small plane crashes, and five car wreaks, and was not a stunt driver, just a guy. His wife was in a few of the crashes with him. They were a nice couple in their fifties, said they were a little stiff at times.

I was once talking to a car customizer , Dean Bachelor, who used to be a stunt man. He ran into the very situation others had warned him about. When you start to look forward to the crash and the pain, time to quit. He now makes movie cars. Or used to , it was a while ago. I bought a small pin striping instructional book from him.
Right on and I "Will" keep it all in mind! Thank you!

Thanks,Matt

Last edited by madmatt9471; 12-31-2015 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:05 PM
c5wolf
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 61 Posts

Matt, I'm so sorry.. You were always tough since you were a scrub.
If there is anything I can do tell me. Say hi to Tina
My dad lives right by you again and I'll tell him what happened as well
Old 01-01-2016, 03:35 PM
heavymetals
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Very glad for you that you made it out alive.

I am glad this isn't an airplane forum.

Get notified of new replies

To For You Members That Know Me and Others - I Had A Bad Wreck Roll-Bar Saved My Life!!

Old 01-01-2016, 11:28 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

From some of the pictures I saw, it looked like the Corvette hoop was not touching the roll bar. Are you saying that the hoop was squished down onto the roll bar and that's why it saved you?

Steve
Old 01-02-2016, 10:19 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
From some of the pictures I saw, it looked like the Corvette hoop was not touching the roll bar. Are you saying that the hoop was squished down onto the roll bar and that's why it saved you?

Steve
Steve,

The Wolfe Roll-Bar goes right under the Halo/Hoop it is literally a 1/16th of an inch away from the plastics inside the Vette -

In the pictures it might be hard to tell because I did not get any close-ups - But like some other bars that DO NOT go under the Halo/Hoop the WOLFE RACECRAFT Roll-Bar does.

IT SITS RIGHT UNDER THE Halo/Hoop interior humps

Here are a few pictures before the wreck:
Attached Images     
Old 01-02-2016, 11:50 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Glad to hear that you are alright. I have a similar question to Steve's.... From the pictures it looks like the stock roll structure did its job and didn't get crushed to the point where the aftermarket roll bar helped. How did the aftermarket bar help? I'm not saying it didn't help, I just can't see from the pictures how it did. More detail would be helpful.

Thanks,
Charley

Quick Reply: For You Members That Know Me and Others - I Had A Bad Wreck Roll-Bar Saved My Life!!