Southern California Southern California

Road side assistance! Yes, I'm looking.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 12:56 PM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Received 240 Likes on 186 Posts
Default Road side assistance! Yes, I'm looking.

So I have a c5 and often worry about having a blow out or engine not starting, I used to subscribe to AAA and had the basic services that only offered a 7 mile one way tow but now I'd like to have towing services with more towing miles.

AAA said they offer a 200 mile one way tow for X amount of dollars with the premium plan. I'd like to have the best bang for the buck as I'm sure others would to.

Since prices and plans may vary from state to state and I live in California, so it's best I opened this thread here.

What do you guys have and how much are you paying?

Thanks again everyone!
Old 05-03-2016, 02:43 PM
fly a Z06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I've had the 200 mile Premium plan for 15 years. It's about $130. If your 7 mile basic has lapsed, they make you wait a year before you can get the better one, which includes flatbed towing.

Joel
Old 05-04-2016, 01:40 AM
Wildmanht
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

no idea who your insurance company is, but perhaps they have a plan. I am with Allstate that has a plan but I have stuck with AAA
Old 05-04-2016, 10:01 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Had the extended ?? (100mi)for many yrs never really use it.

Except once....120 mi from home 130am blew a trans out in the middle of nowhere (Hemet lol).Didnt have enough water, phone was about dead etc.
Driver was an older gentleman took his own route to save the extra mileage charges, tipped him $40 still saved.

Remember to request a tenured driver, flatbed every time if you have a Vette otherwise they will send anyone with a reg wrecker

Meantime I carry a small air compressor, tire plug kit with pliers...make sure your cig lighter works keep an extra fuse in case. Saved me many a time. Walmart has it all for under $25 for the whole shebang

Last edited by cv67; 05-04-2016 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:12 PM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Anyone use Costco third party roadside assistance?
Old 05-10-2016, 04:19 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I am a AAA client of many years. They have a Nor Cal and a So Cal division for AAA.

I have never had to tow it 150 miles, but will relate one problem. Years ago I was moving frm NorCal to LV, Nv. About midnight on a Saturday and 10 miles West of Baker, Ca (unbeknowst to me as I only knew I was in the middle of absolutely nowhere on I15) I had a tire on the trailer blow out. I was in my Pickup, the 93 Corvette was full of things and on the trailer and my truck was full of crap. My wife was in the Tahoe behind me and called me on the phone when she saw the rear trailer axle throwing sparks.

At any rate AAA was not very much help as they needed a cross street and I was way away from any cross street I knew about. Then after calling several times, I got a rep that told me that trailer tires were not covered. But she did tell me of a couple of their places along my route. Luckily amonst the things I had in my truck were a couple of floor jacks. So off came the trailer tire, the trailer now on jack stands that were also in the truck, and I handed the wheel/tire combo off to my wife who headed East. Luckily one of the places in Baker answered the phone and called out a worker who had a right sized trailer tire and mounted it about 1 am Sunday morning. My wife returned and we got to LV about 3:30 that morning. So even not taking care of me, AAA gave me enough info to get out of my predicament.

To this day every time I pass the Zzyzz Road exit on I15 W of Baker I remember being stuck on the side of that Freeway.

I still keep premium AAA coverage however even though all my race cars and most cars that would crap out on me are gone. Don't forget they can do most everything a DMV can do but only for their members.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:08 PM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

...just don't get a flat...
Old 05-27-2016, 02:51 AM
Odinson
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my insurance gives me 50 miles and its like $2 a month
Old 05-27-2016, 12:55 PM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Odinson
my insurance gives me 50 miles and its like $2 a month
what company?

Just found out my insurance"21st" gives a $75 allowance for a tow. I'm assuming that's only enough for the service call.

I found out Costco has a 100 mile tow and allow 4 tows a year for only $69.99
Old 05-27-2016, 05:46 PM
Odinson
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nurburgring
what company?

Just found out my insurance"21st" gives a $75 allowance for a tow. I'm assuming that's only enough for the service call.

I found out Costco has a 100 mile tow and allow 4 tows a year for only $69.99
my insurance company is usaa. i'm pretty sure they only give plans to veterans and maybe gov. employees
Old 05-27-2016, 07:17 PM
forzav12
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

AAA Premium has saved me multiple times over the years-its the best bargain out there as a two hundred mile tow is VERY expensive. With a new car its not so important, but for any of us with classics, its a must.
Old 05-28-2016, 03:25 AM
Rich_ski4575
Instructor

Default AAA is the way to go for me

AAA premier is the way to go for me. $120ish a year so $10/month 200 mi towing radius once a year and 100 miles 3 times a year and a free rental car for 3 days each time you use it. I am a little biased as I used to be one the roadside assistance worker for a few local san diego tow companies. But I have used the service quite a few times as I was plagued with issues on my pick up for a while.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:12 PM
ClipperFan
Race Director

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

I have triple A premier and never used the long towing but if u ever lock yourself out of the house, call them. They sent me a locksmith about 11pm FREE
Old 06-01-2016, 10:10 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Been many yrs since I had a tow let it lapse, yep flat tire closing time at LACR. Big ol bolt in it
Renewed
Yr later was on my way Back from Hemet at 1am when i puked a front trans seal. Thank god I had it....was 120 mi had 100 mi coverage.

Always ask for a tenured driver this guy rerouted the tow got me within a few mi, charged me hardly anything for them, was totally worth the yrs of not using it. 20+yrs now will never not have it

Just for their DMV svcs alone worth it

IF youre considering buying a used car you can call in with the plate # and check fees, few other essentials.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:01 AM
B y r o n
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Let me start by saying that I do have AAA Plus RV for like 3 decades. Typing that almost made me feel old.

It's necessary if you need help with a motorcycle or RV. One of the things I learned the hard way, as in I was delayed and had to rely on a friend for assistance after AAA refused to jump one of my motorcycles even though I had the cables. According to the driver they were not allowed to jump a motorcycle. I almost canceled them that very day but didn't because they have provided good service several times throughout the years.

Get notified of new replies

To Road side assistance! Yes, I'm looking.

Quick Reply: Road side assistance! Yes, I'm looking.