Southern California Southern California

Should The Block be disbanded?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 12:02 AM
Rixx
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GLmajer
Should we stop altogether? Some groups like that KKT at the block was just looking for trouble and makes it harder on the rest of the groups.

But if we continue the cruises then I say no recording of the cruises and certainly do not post any recording on the internet. You are just looking for trouble that way as detectives love looking at social media and watch people just hang themselves with the videos that they post on CF and FB.

Sparky and Pat have served us well for many years and we have had some very memorable times cruising to all parts of So. Cal. and I thank you both.

I would like to see them continue but at the drivers' meetings some ground rules need to be set. But it is up to our fearless leaders.
Sparky and Pat, thanks for all the good times

Whatever you guys come up with will be respected by all I'm sure. Crazy kids can ruin it for us.

Your, Friends Rick and Jackie
Old 06-28-2016, 08:32 AM
bob arrowsmith
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I agree, i do not think that the block has anything to worry about, but if worse comes to worse a new location is an option.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:50 AM
SDLS1Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

UFSO,

You might remember a group called the Mission Valley Corvettes and Cobras aka The Varmits, from San Diego. About 6 years ago the core members of the group concluded that the runs were too big and some attendees were getting too reckless. Something bad was going to happen. The decision was made to drop off the radar and stop advertising our runs.

Last edited by SDLS1Rider; 06-28-2016 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:45 PM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

To all that have responded...THANK YOU!!! Pat and I have a few items to go over and we'll let everyone know soon.

Take care and enjoy the heat...'cause it's gonna get HOTTER!!!

Sparky
Old 06-28-2016, 07:02 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 453 Likes on 353 Posts

I believe that the police were way more interested in the Krispy Kream group then in a bunch of middle age Corvette drivers.
The only area that I have seen that might be a problem, is trying to keep the group together in congested city areas. Fudging on a few red lights, accelerating to catch up, etc. Not a major issue, and probably impossible to solve.
I really enjoyed the runs that I have been to and I'm looking forward to more.
Perhaps a call to the local PD traffic lieutenant/captain to feel them out?
Thanks for all the work you do, Sparky.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:01 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by arpon
Maybe a few reminders/rules before the run starts .... But do not disband this wonderful get together ..... I can't always come as much as I would like, but when I know I am going to participate, I anxiously await the entire month...
Keep it going !!!!

Might have to let the heat die off.

Last edited by whalepirot; 07-02-2016 at 07:40 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:21 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Dont count on them making special concessions due to age/types of cars these cars they will nail you. If something bad did happen yes everyone gets charged.

Once your cars impounded they can do whatever they want right or wrong. Mine had a blown motor, rearend and parts missing off it when I went to go pick it up;this was back in the late 80s/early 90s
Good luck collecting!

They know people dont go on runs in high hp cars to cruise at 35 and wave at eachother, (lots of leos are car guys themselves) if ya got restraint go for it otherwise

not tryin to be a downer just relating a personal experience

Last edited by cv67; 06-29-2016 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:42 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

I have just about stopped driving my exotic around. People do dumb things around you like the guy looking in his rearview at me while he ran the stopsign almost hitting another car. I'm sure I would get roped into his stupidity with people saying we were racing but we certainly were not. Or the jealous people who throw empty McDonalds cup at you as they pass. In today's economy the minute you drive an exotic you are wrong and people assume you are always speeding and cops don't give you the benefit of the doubt. In 30 years of exotic ownership I have never got a ticket in an exotic. I drive extra careful and extra slow because of dumb people around me. I have had plenty of tickets driving a pickup truck. Go figure.

Every corvette or exotic owner should just buy this and not break the law.

https://www.roadhawk.co.uk/

https://www.amazon.com/Timetec-62RHG.../dp/B00CXB186Y

This data recorder and video recorder are 1/4th the cost of a ticket. It will show video with long and lat G + speed. The minute you have a potentially legal encounter you get your lawyer involved to sequester the data. The data will set you free. It is 2016 the cheap available technology is just the price of owning a fast car. Problem solved.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:32 PM
FasterZ
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, personally I hope this meet-n-greet continues.
I just got my Vette in January and haven't made it to the Block yet.
But of course I understand why we're even talking about it.
Maybe it would make sense to meet at a different location

Last edited by FasterZ; 07-01-2016 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:03 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

It bugs me when citizens get abused and the cops just say, "it's legal" and they are correct.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:08 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

My thought is certainly to avoid the jurisdiction of the KK incident. It is mighty easy for someone to get a nice taste of forfeiture law and be very excited about owning all those exotics for nothing more difficult than a traffic stop. It is a bit like drugs, one taste and you might like it. Remember the authorities do not have to have any reason at all to take your property other than a belief that a crime may have been committed in or with it. That is easily made up. And then you have to hire an attorney and the presumption of proving that no crime was committed with/in that vehicle is on you not the police or other authority. It is the most diabolical of all legal statutes in use now outside of RICO.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:45 PM
heavymetals
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

The CHP's new approach is to use an unmarked car to initiate a chase then murder the driver.
That will put the kibosh on car meets.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...nap-story.html
Old 07-05-2016, 03:54 PM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

The posting by Sparky, was should we continue having the Block get-togethers? Reading the posts, most of the answers were completely off the subject Sparky was referring to. This group was started in 2005 along with Three other groups. Our Block group for the most part is the only group to survive. Our group for the most part is a "cruise" Yes, at times there has been some spirted driving. But for the most part its a cruise. Our Block has been a safe group with no accidents, and only one ticket, and that was while he was catching up to us. We have had zero problems with law enforcement, or the venue where we meet. We are usually out of there by 0900 or 0930, Due to the problems other groups have had not Corvettes, Sparkey, and I were evaluating if we should continue with the Block. I think we have decided to continue with the monthly get-togethers. (unless it drizzles) then it will be canceled. We are talking about some guide lines that we feel should be followed to keep from having a problems. It is for our own good due to the bad press the other groups are having. Lets stay on the subject.

Pat
Old 07-05-2016, 06:43 PM
GLmajer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 118 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by rwpatte
The posting by Sparky, was should we continue having the Block get-togethers? Reading the posts, most of the answers were completely off the subject Sparky was referring to. This group was started in 2005 along with Three other groups. Our Block group for the most part is the only group to survive. Our group for the most part is a "cruise" Yes, at times there has been some spirted driving. But for the most part its a cruise. Our Block has been a safe group with no accidents, and only one ticket, and that was while he was catching up to us. We have had zero problems with law enforcement, or the venue where we meet. We are usually out of there by 0900 or 0930, Due to the problems other groups have had not Corvettes, Sparkey, and I were evaluating if we should continue with the Block. I think we have decided to continue with the monthly get-togethers. (unless it drizzles) then it will be canceled. We are talking about some guide lines that we feel should be followed to keep from having a problems. It is for our own good due to the bad press the other groups are having. Lets stay on the subject.

Pat
Old 07-05-2016, 08:31 PM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

Well gang, Pat and I want to thank all that posted! We have decided to keep The Block where it is with a few special rules and they will be told to all on the day of The Block.

Look for the "NEW" thread announcing the next Block of Orange!

Sparky
Fearless Leader

Pat
Trusted Sidekick

Last edited by ufso; 07-05-2016 at 08:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Should The Block be disbanded?