Southern California Southern California

Should The Block be disbanded?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 07:31 PM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

Default Should The Block be disbanded?

As a very few of you know, last year, an accident claimed some of the Valley's/The Block's favorite people...Ray and Lloyd!

A lot of legal ramifications are going on about those two deaths and, the way it's going, it might affect The Block or any cruise that starts up.

Pat and I have been putting on The Block since 2005 and have never had any type of problem...except for me! Luckily, I was able to redeem myself in the police officer's eyes!!!...31 years with the Los Angeles Fire Dept. really helped!!!

Here is the article and it's mind boggling that the PD would even try to make a mountain out of a molehill.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/c...ce-orange.html

Read it and please post your thoughts. This is the one of the times that Pat and I really need your input...think about it and I hope that your thoughts will steer The Block in the right direction.

All the best,

Sparky
Fearless Leader

Pat
Trusted Sidekick
Old 06-25-2016, 09:43 PM
C6topless
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Sparky -- I would be very cautious about setting anything at the Blockheads typical meeting location for a while. I say this because law enforcement just had to deal with the "Krispy Kreme Tuesday" group on June 14th at the very same location the Blockheads meet.

KKT has a long history of problems with the police. Now that they have visited OC, police are on alert to break up "illegal" car meets. The bad thing for the Blockheads uninformed law enforcement will lump you all in with the KKT group.

http://abc7.com/news/krispy-kreme-tu...mdale/1020755/

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...307586991.html
Old 06-25-2016, 09:49 PM
Junglepeanut
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not enough information in the paper to make me think one way or another. Sounds like people had fun. Accidents happened of the variety no harm no foul. Some people may have been obnoxious but individuals should have only been reprimanded but now the police do what they do...
Individual reprimands are where it should be. If a get together is planning to make trouble and there is proof they are then shut it down. If people are just going to have fun there will always be someone in a group who might get out of line. Not everyone should be held accountable. Obviously there are cases where someone should be account able for the herd but a get together is like this is not imo.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:30 PM
GLmajer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 118 Likes on 91 Posts

Should we stop altogether? Some groups like that KKT at the block was just looking for trouble and makes it harder on the rest of the groups.

But if we continue the cruises then I say no recording of the cruises and certainly do not post any recording on the internet. You are just looking for trouble that way as detectives love looking at social media and watch people just hang themselves with the videos that they post on CF and FB.

Sparky and Pat have served us well for many years and we have had some very memorable times cruising to all parts of So. Cal. and I thank you both.

I would like to see them continue but at the drivers' meetings some ground rules need to be set. But it is up to our fearless leaders.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:44 AM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Received 240 Likes on 186 Posts

I live my life a quarter mile at a time, nothing else matters.

For those 10 seconds, I'm free..
Old 06-26-2016, 01:38 AM
TACTrZO6
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DONT CHANGE A THING!!!!!!!!
Old 06-26-2016, 05:58 AM
arpon
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe a few reminders/rules before the run starts .... But do not disband this wonderful get together ..... I can't always come as much as I would like, but when I know I am going to participate, I anxiously await the entire month...
Keep it going !!!!
Old 06-26-2016, 11:56 AM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

A couple suggestions... First, rather than advertising a specific "run" on the forum it needs to be advertised as a "meet & greet", "breakfast get together" or some such gathering. No mention of going anywhere. Any such activities are then purely ad hoc. No written instructions. From this point forward if we go somewhere it's purely spur of the moment. I agree with Jerry on not posting pictures or videos on social media. As far as the KKT issue, I seriously doubt our little group would garner any attention, particularly on the day and time we meet. I too don't get to come as often as I would like but look forward too them all.

Last edited by ccmano; 06-26-2016 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:19 PM
c6 monkey
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default I haven't been on any of your cruises

But I'd be willing to bet yours are way different than the cruise the white Lamborghini and the GTR went on. I think we need to be aware not just corvette owners are looking at this forum. I appreciate what law enforcement officers do, but I think they are overstepping on impounding those cars like that. I wouldn't disband anything. If rules or guidelines need to be stated to cover butts that might be good. If people show up and put people at risk then they should be told either slow it down a notch or just move on. Keep doing what your doing its too great of a thing to give up. Can't wait to see you all for our well behaved and mild mannered "meet and greet" to Solvang!
Old 06-26-2016, 01:23 PM
What Trust Fund
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Heres what really happen

Wow word gets around fast i suppose i unfortunately was apart of that cruise my car was taken feb 11th 2 days ago we went to court with motions for property releases from 4 attorneys and when the judge found out that the DA still hasn't filed or even looked at the data after 4 months she basically said wtf are you doing theres no need for you to keep the cars so on friday she released all the cars and now i have my baby back Also i feel as if the OCregister doesnt state all the facts so heres another article from the drivers point of view.

http://jalopnik.com/california-polic...ium=socialflow
Old 06-26-2016, 01:40 PM
What Trust Fund
Instructor

Default I know how this forum is

also heres a few pictures of OPD "testing our cars" they claim they were testing the cars to make sure they work properly but according to the business on the other side of the tow yard they were racing our cars and doing 0-60 tests for whatever reason....
Attached Images      
Old 06-26-2016, 06:33 PM
MY03Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So they have had the vehicles since January and no charges? Yea, time to sue. All over a bicyclist who said to the police he was fine on the day he caused an accident? Wow, I would sue to.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:56 PM
What Trust Fund
Instructor

Originally Posted by MY03Vette
So they have had the vehicles since January and no charges? Yea, time to sue. All over a bicyclist who said to the police he was fine on the day he caused an accident? Wow, I would sue to.
Yep and there was nothing we or our attorneys could do cause there's no case and everytime we had asked for an update we would just get the usual oh its under investigation and they couldn't talk about it
Old 06-26-2016, 07:19 PM
c6 monkey
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Did they charge for storage for all that time and if so how much. How much are you out of pocket for everything?
Old 06-26-2016, 07:30 PM
What Trust Fund
Instructor

Originally Posted by c6 monkey
Did they charge for storage for all that time and if so how much. How much are you out of pocket for everything?
well for the first round of cars they charged us all $950 second round was $1250 i believe they stated that we were liable for up to one month of impound fees and after that the city takes care of it. Keep in mind that there has been no charges filled still. Then we had to obtain a police release form which cost another $40. So all together im out about 1k for no apparent reason. + Attorney fees, damages to the vehicles etc....
Old 06-26-2016, 09:42 PM
bob arrowsmith
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by What Trust Fund
well for the first round of cars they charged us all $950 second round was $1250 i believe they stated that we were liable for up to one month of impound fees and after that the city takes care of it. Keep in mind that there has been no charges filled still. Then we had to obtain a police release form which cost another $40. So all together im out about 1k for no apparent reason. + Attorney fees, damages to the vehicles etc....
Judging from what i have read here and the video clips it looks like O C, is taking a stand against the proliferation of the influx of unsupervised street show offs and wanna be racers, this always happens when you get to many of the unorganized free for all attitutes ,especially with the younger set. it gives a bad name to every body weather they deserve it or not,it looks like they are trying to scare off these type of meetings, including well organized and mature groups like the Block, Some of you may remember many years ago the Van Nuys cruise night, the very same thing happened there ,they cracked down on the bad ones and the good ones got swooped up with them. OC is pumping there chest and it looks like they are going to prove there point, legal or not. and judging from the video on previous post i cannot blame them, its only a matter of time and someone will get hurt or worse....
Old 06-27-2016, 01:00 AM
DP Dave
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by GLmajer
Should we stop altogether? Some groups like that KKT at the block was just looking for trouble and makes it harder on the rest of the groups.

But if we continue the cruises then I say no recording of the cruises and certainly do not post any recording on the internet. You are just looking for trouble that way as detectives love looking at social media and watch people just hang themselves with the videos that they post on CF and FB.

Sparky and Pat have served us well for many years and we have had some very memorable times cruising to all parts of So. Cal. and I thank you both.

I would like to see them continue but at the drivers' meetings some ground rules need to be set. But it is up to our fearless leaders.

Kudos to Sparky and Pat for many years of fun!!

I suggest you continue to have fun but remember big brother may be watching!!

Get notified of new replies

To Should The Block be disbanded?

Old 06-27-2016, 02:42 AM
forzav12
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

No reason to discontinue the block drives. Seems like the Corvette folks are behaving themselves and there is nothing in the law that prevents folks traveling together. The drive in question had a lot of other things going on that haven't been fully disclosed. Neither side has been entirely forthcoming with info(and why would the police do so in public forums?).
Let's just say that much of what has been claimed is not as simple as stated.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:12 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Looks like OC likes the cars and wants to keep them. In this era no charges are necessary to take your property forever.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:14 PM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Received 240 Likes on 186 Posts

Id say just relocate your meet.

All those other cars mainly JDM so corvette not even in the picture.

You're totally fine.

Quick Reply: Should The Block be disbanded?