Southern California Southern California

Registering a car in a smog exempt county

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 11:36 PM
HellaciousA
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Registering a car in a smog exempt county

I know that you can't use a PO Box, but is it possible to use a UPS store mailbox? They have an address that looks similar to an apartment address that has a unit number.

If I change the registration to an address in a smog exempt county is the state going to ask for proof of residency in that county? I can easily have the mail forwarded to another address so I'm not driving far away to pick up mail.

Or is my only option to buy property in an exempt county and register the car there instead?

Thanks to anybody who has done this before.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:20 AM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 78 Posts

Last edited by skyavonee; 05-17-2019 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:27 AM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 78 Posts

Last edited by skyavonee; 05-17-2019 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:01 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Postal Plus also does this forwards mail too doesnt show as a po box accepts pkgs
Old 08-02-2016, 11:55 AM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I used a friends address
Old 08-03-2016, 05:00 AM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

It seems an honest law abiding citizen needs to stand up here.

Theses laws were created by the people, for the people. I saw them getting signatures, at first only a list of interested people on notebook paper , citizens using democracy to effect change.

I feel these laws are valuable even if you take issue with them, because they are a working principle of democracy.

THese laws were created by the people, for the people. I respect that principle quite a bit, that is the only reason I speak up here. I offer no judgements on any one mans personal decision to break the law , although those decisions are reflected in the reality of my opening superior sounding statement. I wish I could explain it better.

I know full well I am not the judge .

, A man makes his own decisions in the end, .

To my thinking, one can disagree with the law all you want . Breaking it is another deal, because then you just crossed your neighbors. I am a buy it , don't steal it guy. Although I would not hesitate to take a pellet gun to the street light out front if the right telescope showed up.

Again, I am not the judge. Good thing, huh Do not think I lack personal judgement, well probably at least to an almost normal level.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:56 AM
2009CSR #45
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The smog laws may have good intentions but they were written with disregard as to what actually contributes to the problem. The visual inspection portion can be failed for having a different air intake system on the car without a CARB sticker or replacement exhaust parts that don't have a manufacturer's stamp of origin. I think that's pretty harsh considering a stamp or missing CARB sticker isn't present. If a car passes a sniffer test WTF cares what kind of catylists or air intakes are on the car? The goal was to reduce emissions not squeeze out aftermarket parts.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:36 AM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

like CA gun laws? especially new ones just signed?

Originally Posted by strand rider
It seems an honest law abiding citizen needs to stand up here.

Theses laws were created by the people, for the people. I saw them getting signatures, at first only a list of interested people on notebook paper , citizens using democracy to effect change.

I feel these laws are valuable even if you take issue with them, because they are a working principle of democracy.

THese laws were created by the people, for the people. I respect that principle quite a bit, that is the only reason I speak up here. I offer no judgements on any one mans personal decision to break the law , although those decisions are reflected in the reality of my opening superior sounding statement. I wish I could explain it better.

I know full well I am not the judge .

, A man makes his own decisions in the end, .

To my thinking, one can disagree with the law all you want . Breaking it is another deal, because then you just crossed your neighbors. I am a buy it , don't steal it guy. Although I would not hesitate to take a pellet gun to the street light out front if the right telescope showed up.

Again, I am not the judge. Good thing, huh Do not think I lack personal judgement, well probably at least to an almost normal level.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:19 PM
flashback
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

what are the smog exempt countys?
Old 08-05-2016, 04:55 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Default Basic & Enhanced

Originally Posted by flashback
what are the smog exempt countys?
There are six counties that require smog certifications within certain Zip Codes only. These counties are:

El Dorado, Placer, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, and Sonoma.

http://smogcheck.ca.gov/pubwebquery/...ZipLookup.aspx

I know on Imperial County, Inyo, Mono, Lassen and others you do it with change of ownership.

Last edited by PLRX; 08-05-2016 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:07 PM
bob arrowsmith
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default smog legal

This topic is something i have been wondering about and has had me worried , i do not have to worry about it this year but my 96 will require a smog check next year, i have been told that my 383, hot cam, with 1.6 rr s will not pass because of more stringent emission testing, some say it can be tuned to pass but get conflicting opinions on that, so lets say worst case scenario is if it cannot be tuned to pass then i will have to replace the cam of different spec s or sell it to someone in another state. any opinions or advice would be appreciated...Ps. when i built this earlier this year i was told i would have no problems,, go figure,,,very confused.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:30 AM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by bob arrowsmith
This topic is something i have been wondering about and has had me worried , i do not have to worry about it this year but my 96 will require a smog check next year, i have been told that my 383, hot cam, with 1.6 rr s will not pass because of more stringent emission testing, some say it can be tuned to pass but get conflicting opinions on that, so lets say worst case scenario is if it cannot be tuned to pass then i will have to replace the cam of different spec s or sell it to someone in another state. any opinions or advice would be appreciated...Ps. when i built this earlier this year i was told i would have no problems,, go figure,,,very confused.
I have all that plus more, and I pass smog test with 91 octane, and cats at operating temperature. If the Vette is taken care of, clean, and good gas in the tank it should pass. I use the OEM catalysts, What do you call hot cam? Do you have the LT4 upgrade or something bigger?

Here is my SMOG results for 2016

Old 08-08-2016, 10:50 PM
bob arrowsmith
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Plrx, i have i believe is the gm lt4 hot cam 218, 226, 525 525 lobes seperation 112
Old 08-12-2016, 04:21 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

The smog laws were made by the same F$#&#! liberals that made the gun laws... Boxer, Feinstine, moonbeam himself... I love California... but the left wing liberals that seem to be in power need to be shot. love to see a concealed carry state, and any car over 30years exempt form smog. And if you pass the sniffer... you should be good to go... 100 round mags for me baby!

And no, we did not vote these laws in, they were shoved down out thought by bleeding hart libs.

GO TRUMP!

Last edited by pauldana; 08-12-2016 at 05:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
whalepirot (08-15-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 07:14 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Plrx, i have i believe is the gm lt4 hot cam 218, 226, 525 525 lobes seperation 112
Your challenge is that the 96 was built to pass a several hundred ppm HC limit and there was no NO limit at all in the 90's. So even dead stock you have a tight problem on the HC and the NO. Both of my 93s pass but right on the number that is used today.

Feel free to take this to pm and we can talk further.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:35 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by pauldana
The smog laws were made by the same F$#&#! liberals that made the gun laws... Boxer, Feinstine, moonbeam himself... I love California... but the left wing liberals that seem to be in power need to be shot. love to see a concealed carry state, and any car over 30years exempt form smog. And if you pass the sniffer... you should be good to go... 100 round mags for me baby!

And no, we did not vote these laws in, they were shoved down out thought by bleeding hart libs.

GO TRUMP!
Politics aside, you are wildly misinformed. I strongly resent your recasting of my normal good information as lies.

I regret the personal attacks on your spelling.

Last edited by strand rider; 08-31-2016 at 04:17 AM.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:30 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by strand rider
Politics aside, you are wildly misinformed. I strongly resent your recasting of my normal good information into lies.

It is depressing that a person voicing such strong opinions is ignorant of basic spelling . Perhaps english is a second language. If you are an adult , mastering the language should come first, willful ignorance of your native language detracts from your ability to advance your opinions. Well, beyond the ignorant, of course.

There used to be a thing called surfers cough, when guys took up surfing, they developed a cough, you could taste the air back in those days. One can still see a light brown cloud of smog drifting down from L.A. when in the water in San Diego. Or you could check the AQMD records for the medical records of todays kids and permanent smog damage.

People used to solve problems with ballots in America, they worked together, yet thought differently.
AAAhhhh... The spelling ***** are out Must be voting for Hitlery Rob'em Cliton. The radical left wing idiots like the Sierra Club, Boxer, Feinstein, Brown and the rest of the bunch can go hike to h3!!.. yes, this is my political view... These people, and people like them, have taken a good point/view so far to the left that it is no longer even reasonable. .. And if you want to knock up my education.. lets do that,, yea,, my spelling is atrocious:-) That being said, I have a General contractors license, a pilots license, a electrical engineering degree specializing in R.F. communications, 3 teaching credentials in industrial technologies (not English:-)) and ran very successful business in communications and telecommunications, as well as import and export.. Ever use a mag stripe card in a slot machine? Every had a colored pager case in the day? Both of those were mine..So... Mr perfect spelling... what ya got??

And what you see as normal good information, i see as left wing liberal BS... You must me a climant changer, hear your friend Gore needs a buddy.. lol!!!

OP, keep your cams duration at or below 225, unless you split the exhaust and intake.. Then you can get a little longer duration on exhaust.. Like maybe 230 max.. and you should pass the smog *****... lift does not really matter, so get as much as you can..
But you can not get away with long tubes ether

AND... Saw your topic in OT... about haters... did not go well for you there ether did it!! lol
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-haters-2.html

Last edited by pauldana; 08-30-2016 at 07:03 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Registering a car in a smog exempt county

Old 09-01-2016, 12:26 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Gee wonder if we didnt had a few MILLION illegals driving around how the air quality would be.

Nope cant attack that, it would hurt some feellings WAHHH!

These smog laws are a joke
Sure my 67 stinks to high heaven but since Ive owned it in 95 bet it has less than 2k mi on it.

I have an 02 Silverado thats had ghost codes for 6 yrs runs perfect burns fine. Nope, no pass for me. Who cares whats under the hood.
I
Remember the laws passed on leaf blowers, they ignored it. That defiance...oh well dont get me started

Paul how the hell do you pass that sucker?

-Looking at getting the hell outta here this next year.
Ca is a haven for welfare recipients..if you have money you can still live Ok but its getting tough.

Best of luck on the smog.
Postal plus forwards mail and doesnt show up as a po box. Just hope they dont ask you for a utility bill.

Anyone hear about the "pilot program" (BS) by caltrans to propose to tax by the mile? Why do you think your ins agent asks you your mileage these days? Its on a "volunteer" basis for now. Ive had enough.

Yeah Im a bitter bitch LOL;such a great state gone to pot

Last edited by cv67; 09-01-2016 at 12:36 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by cv67:
MTPZ06 (09-01-2016), MUKAK (09-09-2016), whalepirot (09-04-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 07:34 PM
Bobs 07 ZO6
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an 89 Turbo Trans Am (bought new) and watched the HC go from 140 ppm MAX to MAX of 76 ppm through the course of a twenty year ownership. Even after performing full maintenance on the car it had failed on multiple occasions. Adding E85 to the tank ~40%, cut the HC's in half from 80-90 to the low 30's. Might be worth a shot.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:37 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobs 07 ZO6
I had an 89 Turbo Trans Am (bought new) and watched the HC go from 140 ppm MAX to MAX of 76 ppm through the course of a twenty year ownership. Even after performing full maintenance on the car it had failed on multiple occasions. Adding E85 to the tank ~40%, cut the HC's in half from 80-90 to the low 30's. Might be worth a shot.
I had an 89 TTA as well...owned it for 7 years back in the 90's. Loved that car...still miss it, but I was never done with it. Always tweaking something...

Quick Reply: Registering a car in a smog exempt county