Southern California Southern California

Anyone have the emission recall done on their 08?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 06:40 PM
CorvetteMike68
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anyone have the emission recall done on their 08?

Went to register it yesterday and was told I cant until the recall is performed. Recall 14523 emission compliance. If so how long did they have the car for? Notice any differences in the performance? From what I've been able to find on the forum seems like they reprogram the computer also. I had it tuned 9 nine years ago....damn time flies LoL I don't know how that will effect anything..I'd appreciate any info if anyone has any...thanks Mike
Old 09-13-2016, 08:34 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Had my done by Abel Chevrolet while it was in for its wiggle test last year. Took little time at all. About 4 hours for the wiggle test, reprogram, rocking seat fix and oil change.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:21 PM
Jon2kZ
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 119 Posts

Had mine done about 6 months ago. Call and make an appointment to be sure they have parts in stock before you go in. They'll replace the main cats and swap the mid pipe with the newer style with two additional cats and re-flash the ecm with a new tune. If possible save your current tune before you take it in to reinstall later. The new tune runs fine on my car with no mods. Have them do the headlight recall at the same time.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:41 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

The recall specifically tells the dealer not to replace the cats, but to simply reflash and see if that solves the problem. It did with mine.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:14 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
The recall specifically tells the dealer not to replace the cats, but to simply reflash and see if that solves the problem. It did with mine.
Think you guys are crossing signals. The recall for the early LS3 cars is as described above...new cats, new 2012/13 mid pipe which has a second set of cats, and a reflash. It's not for a problem....i.e. there's no SES light or performance issue. It's purely emissions related and in fact voluntary in other states. Only here is it required. It doesn't apply to LS7 cars unless a new recall has been issued I'm not aware of.

Good thread here

Last edited by 96GS#007; 09-15-2016 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:42 AM
HP JNKEY
Drifting

Originally Posted by CorvetteMike68
Went to register it yesterday and was told I cant until the recall is performed. Recall 14523 emission compliance. If so how long did they have the car for? Notice any differences in the performance? From what I've been able to find on the forum seems like they reprogram the computer also. I had it tuned 9 nine years ago....damn time flies LoL I don't know how that will effect anything..I'd appreciate any info if anyone has any...thanks Mike
I'm taking mine in today. It took the dealer about a week to get the parts. I had my tune saved in case the new flash sucks.
Will let you know how it goes.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:38 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
Think you guys are crossing signals. The recall for the early LS3 cars is as described above...new cats, new 2012/13 mid pipe which has a second set of cats, and a reflash. It's not for a problem....i.e. there's no SES light or performance issue. It's purely emissions related and in fact voluntary in other states. Only here is it required. It doesn't apply to LS7 cars unless a new recall has been issued I'm not aware of.

Good thread here
Drive in with two cats, drive out with four. That sucks...
Old 09-19-2016, 11:32 AM
HP JNKEY
Drifting

Originally Posted by HP JNKEY
I'm taking mine in today. I told the dealer about a week to get the parts. I had my tune saved in case the new flash sucks.
Will let you know how it goes.

The recall really sucks, idles at 500, poor throttle response, really quiet, just feels lazy.

Coming from headers/tune the car now feels like its missing 40hp.

I have 3:15 gears and the GM flash wiped out my revised speedo tune so now when I go 70 the speedo is showing 82.

Can't wait to reflash back and go with LS7 parts.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:43 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Drive in with two cats, drive out with four. That sucks...

not to mention replacing them if they go bad with anything less than GM cats youll be getting codes and replacing them sooner than ya want. Ask me how I know-
Old 10-03-2016, 11:44 PM
Rob08C6
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalytic Converter Reprogram

Originally Posted by CorvetteMike68
I had mine done with original program. I looked at the program and just a few tables were changed for warm-up temperature and closed loop mode. No big deal for original program. If you had a Tune this would put you back to Factory program.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:02 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Most comments are that the car is a little quieter, but I don't know first hand.

One thing I can confirm is that I didn't have to do it on mine because my '08 has federal emissions and wasn't part of the recall. This year was a smog year and the renewal said nothing about getting the recall- just to get the smog and send the money as usual.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:53 PM
ILLUSHN
Safety Car

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

I had my '08 done on Thursday at Rydell in Northridge. They ordered the parts about 3 weeks ago. I also had the air conditioning serviced. They did the jumper wire in the fuse box recall as well, even though I had replaced the fuse box some time ago. It runs fine and sounds the same to me. I have B & B Fusions on mine, so stock exhaust may sound different. Smog test and AAA on Monday.

FYI...I hate the 405! Where are all these people going?
Old 10-18-2016, 04:34 AM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by ILLUSHN
I had my '08 done on Thursday at Rydell in Northridge. They ordered the parts about 3 weeks ago. I also had the air conditioning serviced. They did the jumper wire in the fuse box recall as well, even though I had replaced the fuse box some time ago. It runs fine and sounds the same to me. I have B & B Fusions on mine, so stock exhaust may sound different. Smog test and AAA on Monday.

FYI...I hate the 405! Where are all these people going?
Hey Jeff!!!
Hope all is well... If your in the area stop by and chat sometime.

Last edited by American Heritage; 10-18-2016 at 04:35 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone have the emission recall done on their 08?

Quick Reply: Anyone have the emission recall done on their 08?