Southern California Southern California

NASA Western States Championship ST2 Race at Buttonwillow Raceway

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 06:32 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Default NASA Western States Championship ST2 Race at Buttonwillow Raceway

It has been a long time since I have posted race video.

Here is my in-car race video from the NASA Championship race on October 16, 2016. It was great ST2 racing at the front of the pack with the three Corvettes of Chuck Mathews, Adrian Wlostowski and Oli Thordarson. I was leading the race with some good nose to tail racing up to the point we came across the gnarly crash of Bob Kahn's ST1 Corvette and the AI Mustang of Paul Wimmers exiting "Riverside," the fastest turn on the track. Chuck made the ballsy move (at minute 12:30 of the video) of flying into it and he took the lead just before the standing yellow flags and pace car came out. It turns out that was the defining moment of the ST2 championship race. Kudos to Chuck for some great driving and overcoming some car issues in the two prior days, and to young Adrian who made the longest haul of any racer to come from New York.

PS. There four different waves of Green Flag starts to accommodate the 39 cars and different classes. That is why you see lapped cars so soon. The wave right in front of our ST2 cars are the ST1 cars. We also ended up with a dust-storm on race day during the race as you will see.

Quick Reply: NASA Western States Championship ST2 Race at Buttonwillow Raceway