Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 01:14 AM
BLW BY
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
I have done stuff like this....

From the looks of that I don't think Corvettes were designed to drive over that on the street or the track.
My guess is it probably needed to be towed.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:09 AM
harryk387
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Update to my decision: After much research and talking to you guys on here, I decided against coilovers and went with the Koni FSD shocks. Had them installed by American Heritage Performance. From what I can tell just from my 30 minute drive home, they drive nice around the less than perfect Los Angeles roads. Real test will be this weekend when I go for more spirited driving and hit the freeway to see how it takes on the washboard sections at speed.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:48 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by harryk387
Update to my decision: After much research and talking to you guys on here, I decided against coilovers and went with the Koni FSD shocks. Had them installed by American Heritage Performance. From what I can tell just from my 30 minute drive home, they drive nice around the less than perfect Los Angeles roads. Real test will be this weekend when I go for more spirited driving and hit the freeway to see how it takes on the washboard sections at speed.
I hope you are pleased with your choice.

A good compromise between smooth road ride and the best possible handling is not really achievable without magnetically controlled suspension the newer cars have. I have found that a good handling car does not need to ride like a kart, but it will never ride as smooth as an old Cadillac El Dorado.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:06 AM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by harryk387
Always been pleased with Konis...they make real good stuff.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:04 PM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

I just read this discussion for the first time today and I was going recommend the Koni Reds or Yellows shocks since your car is a daily grocery getter. I glad that you decided to go with the Konis. The Konis are a lot better for both the street and weekend track events than the other off-the-shelf shock brands. The Bilsteins are usually too harsh for the street.

I don't have any experience with the new FSD shocks but, I have confidence that they are a good product. Koni has been a good shock company for many years. I guess the FSDs are referred to as the Koni Gold's.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:11 PM
harryk387
Pro

Originally Posted by Nokones
I just read this discussion for the first time today and I was going recommend the Koni Reds or Yellows shocks since your car is a daily grocery getter. I glad that you decided to go with the Konis. The Konis are a lot better for both the street and weekend track events than the other off-the-shelf shock brands. The Bilsteins are usually too harsh for the street.

I don't have any experience with the new FSD shocks but, I have confidence that they are a good product. Koni has been a good shock company for many years. I guess the FSDs are referred to as the Koni Gold's.
Yup, so far so good. I've only driven them on the street since I had them installed and I am 100% satisfied. I have yet to get them on the freeway to see how they do over expansion joints at speed or the washboard sections of the freeway, but on the street so far, I'm really liking the comfort they offer over the stock 2004 c5z shocks and the increased cornering ability paired with the Johnny O' Connell front and rear sway bars.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:20 PM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

A good test would be take a run up the Golden State Freeway from the Antelope Valley Freeway junction to Lake Hughes Road and back in the two right-hand lanes.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:23 PM
harryk387
Pro

A good test would be take a run up the Golden State Freeway from the Antelope Valley Freeway junction to Lake Hughes Road and back in the two right-hand lanes.
Haha I'll try that. In the meantime, I just got on the freeway for the first time since installed the Koni FSDs. I have to say I am very impressed with them so far. Very good ride quality, I am 100% satisfied with them.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:17 PM
BLW BY
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

LOL
You really want to test your set-up, take Lake Hughes Rd. up to Lake Hughes on a spirited scenic canyon drive.

Now that's a good test, if you're up for it.

Quick Reply: Coilovers