Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

[Texas] I Need a Builder / Tuner - Texas Speed & Performance / Other Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 12:37 PM
R6_C5_CLS55
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default [Texas] I Need a Builder / Tuner - Texas Speed & Performance / Other Recommendations?

Hi everyone.

I am looking for a reputable, reliable, honest, knowledgeable, customer-service-oriented tuner here in Texas (preferably within a 5-6 hour radius of Houston) to help me with a major project build-up on my 2001 Corvette. One of my friends in California recommended Texas Speed & Performance (Wolfforth, TX) to me as really knowing thier stuff and being top notch. I had not heard of them until he mentioned them, so I am asking the forum for additional references with some specifics on what they did for you and how it turned out.

Specifically, I am going to be upgrading my current blower set-up from the ATI twins and P1-SC to the ECS F1R set up with methanol injection. In doing this I am going to need a forged motor built. I bought a LS2 block and C5R head studs and would like to have a 402 CuI forged motor built with AFR 225 72cc heads and installed and tuned, along with several other upgrades to support the new power level and heat load (radiator, oil cooler, rebuilt rear end, new clutch, on-board wideband O2, tunnel brace / heat shield, .

Please let me know what experience you have had with this shop on a medium to major build-up and what you had done. If you have a recommendation on another shop that meets my criteria, please post that as well along with a description of what they did for you and how it turned out.

Thanks a lot,

Sean
Old 07-02-2005, 01:52 PM
stangin4lyfe
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Just curious...since you are in Houston...have you looked into MTI ?
Old 07-02-2005, 03:10 PM
66vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Try Horsepower Enggineering

See Chuck
281-448-1300
66vette
Old 07-02-2005, 03:41 PM
Dugmole
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by 66vette
See Chuck
281-448-1300
66vette
Old 07-02-2005, 04:05 PM
Fleet1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by R6_C5_ML430
Hi everyone.

I am looking for a reputable, reliable, honest, knowledgeable, customer-service-oriented tuner here in Texas (preferably within a 5-6 hour radius of Houston) to help me with a major project build-up on my 2001 Corvette. One of my friends in California recommended Texas Speed & Performance (Wolfforth, TX) to me as really knowing thier stuff and being top notch. I had not heard of them until he mentioned them, so I am asking the forum for additional references with some specifics on what they did for you and how it turned out.

Specifically, I am going to be upgrading my current blower set-up from the ATI twins and P1-SC to the ECS F1R set up with methanol injection. In doing this I am going to need a forged motor built. I bought a LS2 block and C5R head studs and would like to have a 402 CuI forged motor built with AFR 225 72cc heads and installed and tuned, along with several other upgrades to support the new power level and heat load (radiator, oil cooler, rebuilt rear end, new clutch, on-board wideband O2, tunnel brace / heat shield, .

Please let me know what experience you have had with this shop on a medium to major build-up and what you had done. If you have a recommendation on another shop that meets my criteria, please post that as well along with a description of what they did for you and how it turned out.

Thanks a lot,

Sean
Sean, And I thought you had a super fast car now.
Old 07-02-2005, 05:07 PM
R6_C5_CLS55
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dugmole
66Vette and Dugmole,

Have either of you had anything substantial built by HPE (chuck) or are you just going by what others have said? If you have had something built, please let me know what it was and how long you have been running it now and how the service was. I am looking at spending quite a lot on this build and I really want to make sure I get involved with a class act shop that really knows their stuff and knows how to treat their customers.

Thanks,

Sean
Old 07-02-2005, 05:15 PM
GS345
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11

66Vette and Dugmole,

Have either of you had anything substantial built by HPE (chuck) or are you just going by what others have said? If you have had something built, please let me know what it was and how long you have been running it now and how the service was. I am looking at spending quite a lot on this build and I really want to make sure I get involved with a class act shop that really knows their stuff and knows how to treat their customers.

Thanks,

Sean
I have to agree with them on HPE. They built my 396 LT4 and have had zero problems with it. Been in and running for about 7 months now. They do all the machine work in house, nothing was sent out. Very nice shop, drop in and see.

jeff
Old 07-05-2005, 07:28 PM
Dugmole
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16

66Vette and Dugmole,

Thanks,

Sean
Sean

I had HPE build a forged 408. I have had the engine in for about 8 months now. Customer service was great. The engine builder, Eric will spend all the time you want discussing options, advice etc...

I will PM you my cell # if you want to discuss it more.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:55 AM
Dark-Knight
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Contact 21st Cent Muscle Cars in Carolton, a northern suburb of Dallas.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:41 AM
Busa196
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 3 Posts

I am looking for a reputable, reliable, honest, knowledgeable, customer-service-oriented tuner
Good luck with your search Sean.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:28 PM
R6_C5_CLS55
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Busa196
Good luck with your search Sean.
I know it seems like I am asking the impossible based on your and my past experiences, but hey, it never hurts to ask and put the requirements out there. It is a shame that the requirements actually do seem laughable, especially in a city the size of Houston.

I do plan to check out HPE, G-Force, Advanced Engine Dynamics, PSI, and even AutoBahn locally. If I stay in state, I think either LME or TSP will build the motor as I have heard great things about both companies machining and building skills. There is a shop in Austin that I am also going to check out. If I have to go out of state, I think I will contact A&A or ECS. I think either of these shops could meet my expectations and I have heard a lot of good about them here on the forum. It might be well worth the $1,500 shipping fees.

I'll let you know what, if anything, turns up. Maybe I need to buy a piece of land out on the west side, pour a slab, put up a metal building, buy a lift, and get busy. Hmmmm...I will talk with one of my business partners and fellow gear heads about this option. Anyone want to pitch in for a dyno?
Old 07-06-2005, 08:31 PM
wicked 98z
Pro

MTI here. Ive been using them since 98 and love them. Jason has always took care of me and my friends. I did make the mistake of not letting them do my last motor and it blew on the dyno. I dont know if it was the builder or the tuner. (PM me if you want the name of the company)

Chuck with HPE would be my next choice. Eric grad. form SAM so he knows his LSX ****.

ALbert

Get notified of new replies

To [Texas] I Need a Builder / Tuner - Texas Speed & Performance / Other Recommendations?

Quick Reply: [Texas] I Need a Builder / Tuner - Texas Speed & Performance / Other Recommendations?