Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

I-35 question for someone in Austin

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 05:44 PM
MisterC
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default I-35 question for someone in Austin

I went through Austin this weekend on I35 and my GPS kept me on the lower road. What is the upper road supposed to be used for? I thought it might be kind of an 'express' route through Austin.

Thanks,
Old 11-15-2009, 06:07 PM
JakeC5
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There aren't any exits on the upper portion, but that doesn't mean it's quicker. lol
Old 11-15-2009, 07:43 PM
Milton Fox
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I often take the bottom because the upper is already a parking lot - at least some people are getting off the bottom. Try the toll roads next time if you are just passing thrue.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:20 PM
MisterC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Milton Fox
I often take the bottom because the upper is already a parking lot - at least some people are getting off the bottom. Try the toll roads next time if you are just passing thrue.
I thought about the toll roads, but as I'm not familiar with them I wasn't sure where they would take me.

I appreciate both responses and I think I'll learn about the toll roads before I go next time. Obvoiusly it's been a number of years since I've been down that way
Old 11-16-2009, 08:03 PM
Tex_Vette
Just Passin' Thru

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MisterC
I thought about the toll roads, but as I'm not familiar with them I wasn't sure where they would take me.

I appreciate both responses and I think I'll learn about the toll roads before I go next time. Obvoiusly it's been a number of years since I've been down that way
State Highway 130 intersects I-35 just north of Georgetown. If you're headed south and want to bypass Austin, it's the only way to "fly". At least two lanes each direction, sometimes three. Seventy mile per hour speed limit on the entire length of road (I think). If you stay on SH130 and then the last segment of 45 toll, it eventually will dump you out down around Kyle or Buda, back on I-35. There are various exit strategies for the Austin airport (highway 71 to the west) or to get to Houston (highway 71 to the east or take highway 290) or for Round Rock. I don't know off-hand what the total toll cost is to go all the way around Austin (I've got a TexTag, so I never look at it). Unless your destination is somewhere within Austin or Round Rock proper, my suggestion would be the tollway. Be aware that the state troopers are usually well represented on that road. At dusk the other day, I had one follow me for probably 10 miles at around 78 mph. He finally pulled up just behind and in the left lane, gunned his motor a bit so I'd be sure to notice him, and then passed me. But if you're not playin' the fool, you can "usually" get away with 5-8 over (no guarantee implied).

HTH,
Tex_Vette
Old 11-16-2009, 11:33 PM
Milton Fox
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

We picked up the toll road coming up North from 71/183 from the coast and headed North on a Sunday evening - about 20 cars total the whole way. It was just under $5.00 bucks for that strech alone. They even offered to sell us a toll tag at the last booth for $20.00 bucks.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:05 AM
MisterC
Burning Brakes

Well, 130 seems to be the way to go. We went through going south early afternoon on Friday and I expected it to be congested. We came back north on Sunday morning and altough it was not all that bad, there was a lot of traffic for what one would expect on Sunday morning.

You guys have been a great source of info for me, thanks very much.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:50 AM
AM.MSCL
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Austin, Houston and Dallas Toll Tags should all work in each city. So if you have one then you do not need to get another one for just Austin.

Get notified of new replies

To I-35 question for someone in Austin

Quick Reply: I-35 question for someone in Austin