Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

Texas Emissions question

Old 12-04-2009, 02:10 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Texas Emissions question

I currently have an SD tune on my '99 and the car (big cube modified NA motor), is running pretty well. I have a P0103 DTC code showing as "current" but have no check engine light nor any other codes.

Question: Does anyone know if this code by itself will prevent me from passing the state emissions check in Houston (Harris County)?
Old 12-04-2009, 08:14 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Hello,

I am not in Texas so I can not give you a definitive answer, but as the Mass Air Flow sensor is a major emissions related component I can not imagine it passing showing this DTC.

Go get the puter retuned for the test. You can adjust the freq limits that set this code and with likely a larger than stock MAF your tuner should have done so. No harm yet, simply get the parameters reset in the puter and than clear the code and drive it a bit to reset the monitors (in fact you may need to do a search for the drive cycle and perform it so you don't need to drive 500 miles to hit all the parameters it is looking for, particularly the long smooth coast down cycle.)

You will be good to go.

I suppose an appropriate question is what does Tx use as an OBDII test cycle. In Az and Nv (my states) it is OBD II compliance, no codes and all monitors (well it can have one not completed in Nv) completed. In Ca it is a sniff test.

All this means I could run an absolutely mondo cam in my 98 and have little to concern the test so long as my puter is saying what they want it to say. For driveability I don't but it would be possible.

Pkincy
Old 12-04-2009, 10:21 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by pkincy
Hello,

I am not in Texas so I can not give you a definitive answer, but as the Mass Air Flow sensor is a major emissions related component I can not imagine it passing showing this DTC.

Go get the puter retuned for the test. You can adjust the freq limits that set this code and with likely a larger than stock MAF your tuner should have done so. No harm yet, simply get the parameters reset in the puter and than clear the code and drive it a bit to reset the monitors (in fact you may need to do a search for the drive cycle and perform it so you don't need to drive 500 miles to hit all the parameters it is looking for, particularly the long smooth coast down cycle.)

You will be good to go.

I suppose an appropriate question is what does Tx use as an OBDII test cycle. In Az and Nv (my states) it is OBD II compliance, no codes and all monitors (well it can have one not completed in Nv) completed. In Ca it is a sniff test.

All this means I could run an absolutely mondo cam in my 98 and have little to concern the test so long as my puter is saying what they want it to say. For driveability I don't but it would be possible.

Pkincy
I was thinking I may have to go back and get a MAF "tune" for purposes of the OBDII test until I ran across this while searching the Texas DPS website on the subject:

Remember Effective October 15, 2008:

........For vehicles year model 1996 - 2000, we allow two (2) non-continuous monitors to be Not Ready and still pass the test, but three (3) or more Not Ready's will cause the vehicle to fail."

One of my problems is, look though I may, I cannot definitively find out if this section applies in my case. The DPS website defines "Ready" and "Not-Ready and points out that the "Readiness Monitor Status" is NOT (their "caps", not mine) the same as Diagnostic Trouble Codes.

Another thing I haven't determined yet is whether an alternate testing method can be used if I so desire, or am I just stuck getting the OBDII test by virtue of my year model. I would be willing to get a "sniff" test, but don't know if I can or not.

Grrrrr.

Get notified of new replies

To Texas Emissions question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Texas Emissions question