Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

Antique registration in Texas

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 12:19 PM
nate99
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Antique registration in Texas

Has anyone done this recently? The state website mentions a "safety inspection" prior to being registered as an antique, however, it combines the points about antiques and custom/kit cars.

My '81 was registered normally in a non-emissions county by the prior owner, but I'm not so lucky there. It has not needed current tags over the last three years while I have been working on it.

If it has to pass the non-emissions part of the regular inspection, I will have to get the parking brake sorted out, and who knows what else, but so much the better if I do not have to bother with that.

Does anyone know the current protocol for the Antique registration?

Thanks.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:18 PM
WhiteKnight
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I registered my '72 earlier this year with antique plates. All I had to provide was title and proof of insurance. They gave me one rear plate that is good for 5 years. No inspection required before or during the 5 years.

Call your local tax office to see if laws are different for your particular vehicle. A later year might require a smog check.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:04 PM
U17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is this the website you went to???.. http://www.txdmv.gov/vehicles/licens...ng/antique.htm ...
Old 12-29-2011, 06:57 PM
nate99
Race Director

Originally Posted by U17
Is this the website you went to???.. http://www.txdmv.gov/vehicles/licens...ng/antique.htm ...
I didn't run across that one, this is more helpful than what I found.

Thanks.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:12 PM
nate99
Race Director

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
I registered my '72 earlier this year with antique plates. All I had to provide was title and proof of insurance. They gave me one rear plate that is good for 5 years. No inspection required before or during the 5 years.

Call your local tax office to see if laws are different for your particular vehicle. A later year might require a smog check.
Thanks. I did note that anything older than 25 years is smog exempt, but they are supposed to do a "visual inspection" to see if the equipment is there for a normal registration. My '81 has no emissions equipment remaining at all.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:16 PM
nate99
Race Director

Originally Posted by C6-CYa
It used to be that if you registered as antique, then no inspection was required. If you went with current plates, or unique plates, then you need inspection.
Looks like I will go with antique for at least a while. I'm only going to be driving it on the weekends, so I shouldn't get hassled by cops too much, though I understand that few people ever have problems so long as you stay away from the little towns that treat police and their traffic tickets as a profit center.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:44 AM
Milton Fox
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Your insurance coverage may have an interest as well. Are you going with classic or antique with them or regular coverage?

Get notified of new replies

To Antique registration in Texas

Quick Reply: Antique registration in Texas