Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

Where to live in DFW area?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 11:05 PM
MongoZ06
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Where to live in DFW area?

looks like my job will be transferring me at the end of the year so I wanted to get some feedback on what areas my vette brothers and sisters would recommend living in. (would be looking for house prices between 225k and 275k).

Thanks
Old 07-16-2012, 11:29 PM
Silver Toy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

First, welcome to DFW you will probably need to be more specific of the area you will be working in to get some feedback on the housing market in that aera. If your working in Dallas, my suggestions in the north Fort Worth/Keller aera would be meaningless due to the distance. Wherever you end up, welcome, there are some good get togethers all over the Metroplex.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:19 AM
ubiquitus
Instructor

If your job is near North Dallas, Frisco, McKinney and Little Elm are great places.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:55 AM
Mikev078
Drifting

Originally Posted by ubiquitus
If your job is near North Dallas, Frisco, McKinney and Little Elm are great places.
I agree. I have lived in the North Dallas area most of my life. Frisco grew extremely fast and is a great place. Little Elm is growing vastly as well. McKinney is a very well established area too with great houses. North Plano and West Plano you'll find some very nice homes as well. Some might be going out of your price range though. However, the communities do seem to have a wide mixture of prices. Might I recommend, Cathy Hahn. She's a realtor that my parents and myself have used a few times with excellent results.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateage...782?source=web
Old 07-17-2012, 10:36 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,193 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

All depends on where you will be working, and what kind of property you like (house, townhome/condo, high-rise, etc). Let us know where your job will be and I'm sure we can give you some great recommendations. Also, if you need I've got a really good realtor that can take care of you.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:42 AM
MongoZ06
Pro

I may be working out of our office in Coppell (really close to DFW Airport) or in Addison (close to the Addison Airport).

Looking for a House, prefer 3 car garage and would like to have space for a Trailer (for towing the car to the track and other needs).
Old 07-17-2012, 11:49 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,193 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Addison is a very nice area, and I know there are also nice areas around Coppell. If there is a chance you will be going back and forth between the two sites, I would probably recommend North Dallas (north of Addison, south of Plano) or Plano area right around where the Dallas Norht Tollway and Goerge Bush Turnpike intersect. Or maybe west of that along George Bush. You want to be careful looking to far west of that area in Carolltom as the ground shifts really bad and causes lots of foundation problems.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:47 PM
Mikev078
Drifting

Coppell has some really nice houses. I have driven through there a few times to visit friends. Also have seen some newly built very nice homes off 121 near Old Denton Rd. I think it might be part of the Lakes and Castle Hills subdivision if I'm not mistaken.

Not sure if you've look at some of the recent weather history in these areas. North Dallas tends to have some pretty nasty hail storms at times. I think the last one that hit Coppell this year had like softball sized hail.

This pretty much is the case in most areas of North Dallas.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:57 PM
milt IV
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going to be by DFW Airport you might consider Grapevine or Southlake. Both very clean cities with nice homes and good schools. Southlake being the "classier" of the two. If you are by Addison airport consider living in Addison, Plano, Frisco, McKinney, Little Elm. Addison and Plano being a little more populated and closer to Dallas. Frisco, McKinney and Little Elm are a little less populated and a little further from Dallas. I would consider all of the above to be great cities to live/raise a family in. I'm sure a realtor could give you a great selection of houses in all of those areas. I recommend making a trip down here for a few days so you can drive around the above mentioned cities and get a feel for them. Good luck with your search.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:01 PM
DFWLCJ
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

There is a wide range of travel-times to consider depending which office you are going to commute to.

If you have an office choice you may want to pick Coppell.

For housing convenient to Coppell, in addition to Coppell ,there are a variety of choices already mentioned in or near that price range ($250K up)

(Grapevine, Southlake) as well as Colleyville, North Hurst, Keller, Flower Mound, Lewisville & Highland Village that offer a wide variety of options.

As prev mentioned, come down and visit & hook up with a good realtor.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:10 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

If you end up working in Coppell then Grapevine / Southlake would be very desirable. I live in Grapevine and rarely leave the "bubble" as I call it....I work off of Main St., I can be at DFW Airport in a matter of *minutes* (yes, the backroads are GREAT!), the boat is at the lake, right by the house, lots of great bars/restaurants, etc...
Old 07-17-2012, 03:21 PM
ZO ZICK
Team Owner

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

I lived in the DFW Area about 12 years ago.

I lived in Las Colinas, but really like Plano and Grapevine
Old 07-18-2012, 12:46 AM
71Pantera
Racer

Originally Posted by MongoZ06
I may be working out of our office in Coppell (really close to DFW Airport) or in Addison (close to the Addison Airport).

Looking for a House, prefer 3 car garage and would like to have space for a Trailer (for towing the car to the track and other needs).
I live in Flower Mound and love it and have a 3 car.

I have a few good agents also if you want suggestions.

The big issue will be finding a 3 car in your price range. Also trailer parking can be an issue with most HOAs.

There are a few really great older established n-hoods in north Lewisville w/o HOAs.

Some areas in L-ville can have issues.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:42 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I would say figure out where your job is first. Then plan around that to some degree first. Drive the roads and see what your travel time is going to be like.

McKinney, Addison, Plano, Allen are all nice area's to live.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:19 PM
jkuzzy
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

I live in Flower Mound as well and really like it here. I have a 3 car and about .4 of a acre so it is really much more private than the norm. It seems to me nowadays that the builders are putting the houses right next to each other.
I work in Irving and it isn't a bad drive at all.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:33 PM
RatRacer
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by DFWLCJ
There is a wide range of travel-times to consider depending which office you are going to commute to.

If you have an office choice you may want to pick Coppell.

For housing convenient to Coppell, in addition to Coppell ,there are a variety of choices already mentioned in or near that price range ($250K up)

(Grapevine, Southlake) as well as Colleyville, North Hurst, Keller, Flower Mound, Lewisville & Highland Village that offer a wide variety of options.

As prev mentioned, come down and visit & hook up with a good realtor.

^^^ This.

I would definitely recommend working in Coppell over Addison. You can find something near your $275k price range in Grapevine, Flower Mound or Coppell. Southlake and Colleyville will be out of that range. Keeping the commute short will save you a lot of aggravation because almost every major freeway in DFW is under construction.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:59 PM
MongoZ06
Pro

Thanks for all the advice and direction on where to look...

My next question is where are all the hangout spots for the Vette crowd through the week?
I'm sure I'll be out that way for work prior to moving so it would be great to meet some of you before hand.

Get notified of new replies

To Where to live in DFW area?

Old 07-23-2012, 04:29 PM
David426
Safety Car

Received 130 Likes on 39 Posts

If you are working in Downtown Dallas.. There are some great deals on houses just 5 miles east of Downtown... I-30 and Dolphin Rd area
Old 07-23-2012, 04:51 PM
Mikev078
Drifting

Originally Posted by MongoZ06
Thanks for all the advice and direction on where to look...

My next question is where are all the hangout spots for the Vette crowd through the week?
I'm sure I'll be out that way for work prior to moving so it would be great to meet some of you before hand.
Collin County Corvette Club meets on Sundays at 7pm. With the occassional other gatherings they do.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sout...area-11-a.html

You could also drop in at LG Motorsports off 1100 Progress, Plano, TX and harass Anthony and Brad
Old 07-24-2012, 09:13 PM
TLTONEY
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
I would say figure out where your job is first. Then plan around that to some degree first. Drive the roads and see what your travel time is going to be like.

I say get a short lease apartment on FM2499 by Grapevine Mills Mall. Then settle into your job, figure out the area, and then you can make an informed decision on where to buy. If you are not careful, you can have a very bad drive to work (20 miles could = 1 hour). Just remember that all the construction in Grapevine is scheduled to be finished by the end of next year.

Quick Reply: Where to live in DFW area?