2008 LS3 A6 Triple Black Vert

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 04:43 PM
Coach G
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 LS3 A6 Triple Black Vert

It’s a long story, but the short version goes something like this:

During the latter part of 2011, my health had started to fail and so I began composing my bucket-list. It was short: either get a new corvette or modify the one with all of the components I had always wanted. The following situation helped me with that decision.

Back in November of 2011, while driving on I-H35, I was involved in something that no one on this forum would want to have to endure. I was in the far right –hand lane when an 18-wheeler started to enter the freeway from my right. Traffic was heavy and as those guys often do, he sped up to squeeze into a space immediately in front of the pick-up (which was pulling a trailer) in front of me. The semi’s left rear wheels rolled over what appeared to be a pile of concrete that had been jack-hammered up earlier in the day and piled up and left to be picked up. The truck in front of me saw what was happening and swerved left to avoid the 18-wheeler and the debris it had thrown up causing his right rear wheels of the trailer to run over the same pile. This caused the cars to my left to slow down, leaving me nowhere to go but to drive through the equivalent of a hailstorm of concrete with some of the chunks being the size of a softball.

Now I would not be able to get what I needed in trade-in without body work, so I opted to use the insurance money to help me start the project of remodeling my baby, a 2008 LS3 A6 Triple Black Convertable. The first call was to Donny Barker at Jeff’s Auto Body Repair here in Austin. They did a superb job of installing the 2011 Grand Sport body kit and repainting the car in its original color (black). Donny managed to fit some ZR1 chrome rims as well as 19” pilots on the front and 20” on the rear into my budget.

As far as my engine modifications go, my car has been in two shops. The first I will not name. The second has been a collaboration of Jason Carter (1BADZR1, research & design through his shop: Aspire Performance Tuning) and Brian Reckert (installation and tuning at his shop: Reckert Performance Tuning (Brian is a contributing forum vendor).

My car is built around the E-force 1591 supercharger. Due to the addition of a 3” pulley, custom grind blower cam, AR long tube headers with high flow cats, and ported and polished heads, it needed a Kenne Bell Boosta-pump and Fast 65 lb. injectors. The lifters, valve springs, push rods, rocker and trunions have all been upgraded. All of the smaller details such as NGK TR6 plugs, MSD wires, 160* have been attended to. ZO6 brakes were added as well.

Brian deserves all of the credit for my car running the way it does (and even running at all for that matter). Time and space do not allow for me to describe how many ways my car was set up to fail and all of the things he did. Right now, people actually have complained that my car is too quiet with the NPPs closed (I had BB Bullets on it, but I took them off because there was too much air screaming through them and it sounded more like a Boeing 747 taking off than a Corvette). It rides and drives smoother than it did before we started and has gotten 19.1 mpg since we finished. Due to the tuning of my A6, the transmission shifts more smoothly and on time than it did before.

So far, the temps have stayed below 212*F for coolant and tranny, and 240*F for the oil. And that is on days where the outside temps have gone over 100*F, driving the car for an hour on the freeway at 70 mph and then pulling off and sitting in traffic for 10-15 min. But, do not be deceived. Give it a half throttle and you had better make sure you have it pointed where you want it to go and have a good grip on the steering wheel. The low end torque people talk about with these blowers is REAL! Heck this car is fun even when not in boost. And Brian said there was more in it but was tuned down for safety of the engine and transmission.

My blower does not look this sloppy, just my attempt at phtoshopping to keep the name of the first shop out of this thread.

Brian even installed the leather wrapped interior from Apsis. Again, time and space do not allow for me to do justice to the quality of work and customer service provided by Mr. Jersey Wu.

In closing let me say that I am fully aware of the things that can go wrong when you start modifying your car. I am also aware that there are some very fast and beautiful cars on this forum. We are not completely through but mine has turned out just the way I wanted it, to this point. If you have any questions about the car or the vendors mentioned, their products and/or their workmanship, please feel free to ask. Lastly and most importantly, I have made some very good friends with some very fine people throughout this process that I never would have met had I not done it this way. For that I am most thankful.

Thanks for looking. Coach

Old 07-17-2012, 06:08 PM
Cozmo
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
CentralTX Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Coach,
Your car looks great! Brian did an awesome job on it.

Congrats,
Larry
Old 07-17-2012, 09:53 PM
OEFastZ06
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Great write up Coach! Your car looks great! I am glad to have met you and become friends. I know you enjoy driving your car. The times we have gone out on runs have been fun! Looking forward to many more.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:00 PM
Coach G
Racer

Default Thanks

Thanks guys.

Larry: you are right Brian is the man!

Oscar: I am ready when you are!

Having that car in the garage is like having a thoroughbred racehorse in the stable. It always seems to be calling me to take her for a very spirited ride.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:47 PM
0Brian@RPT
Former Vendor

I am not one to focus on the bad and only turn those into a pleasurable experience.

Coach: The 08 Vette turned out better than expected and have been honored to help you with this build. That is one stout ride and it is a blast to drive.

This is one of the reasons I am in the business. Working on great cars and meeting great people.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:23 PM
Coach G
Racer

Default Brain Reckert

Originally Posted by Brian@RPT
I am not one to focus on the bad and only turn those into a pleasurable experience.

Coach: The 08 Vette turned out better than expected and have been honored to help you with this build. That is one stout ride and it is a blast to drive.

This is one of the reasons I am in the business. Working on great cars and meeting great people.
Brian you are the man and I will forever be endebted to you.

I also feel honored to call you my friend.

Everyone in central Texas: if you need work on your vette and you have not met this man, do yourself a favor and take the time to at least call him. If you are not to far away and have time, please go by and meet him. There is an environment of trust and honesty (not to mention the knowledge and dedication) towards your car that I do not think you will find anywhere else (IMO, and I have checked out quite a few).
Old 07-21-2012, 07:17 PM
johnbell2
Intermediate

Absolutely beautiful car and yes, Brian is the man
Old 07-22-2012, 12:12 PM
0Brian@RPT
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by johnbell2
Absolutely beautiful car and yes, Brian is the man
We had fun yesterday playing around with the G8 on the dyno
Old 07-22-2012, 09:30 PM
DaveH_RRTX
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coach,

Thanks for sharing the story behind your ride. You have a great car!

Looking forward to hanging out with you again soon at the Cedar Park Saturday car meet.

Dave
Old 07-22-2012, 10:59 PM
Coach G
Racer

Default Hanging out at Cedar Park

Originally Posted by DaveH_RRTX
Coach,

Thanks for sharing the story behind your ride. You have a great car!

Looking forward to hanging out with you again soon at the Cedar Park Saturday car meet.

Dave
Thanks, Dave

Me Two
Old 07-23-2012, 02:53 AM
0Andrew6@TheDoubleAA
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Houston Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12, '14
I believe in the Beer Fairy

sorry to hear about the damages.

Get notified of new replies