Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

El Paso / Las Cruces Area Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 06:48 PM
medic_343
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by insertclevername
Renting Arroyo Seco road course for a whole day (I don't yet know what a whole day is) is $100 a car no minimum but I think the cut off is five cars. I'm attempting to find out which of those days works best for those wanting to go. If I don't hear from those soon I'm going to rent on May 11, because I'll be on vacation, so I may rent more than once (this will be my first time there). This will keep the cars on track to a minimum so we can really take the time to learn the line, and narrow in on tire pressures etc. This won't be a race event, just a few of us driving our car to our limits. I do find it really fun to keep track of lap times, I use Racechrono and a 5/10hz bluetooth gps on my Android, it's very accurate.

Eric
This sounds like something I would definitely be interested in. Any of those days would work for me, I work weekends.

Is there anything special I would need to prepare for this? This would be my first time at a track other than a drag strip. Either way you can count me in!
Old 04-18-2015, 08:51 PM
insertclevername
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by medic_343
This sounds like something I would definitely be interested in. Any of those days would work for me, I work weekends.

Is there anything special I would need to prepare for this? This would be my first time at a track other than a drag strip. Either way you can count me in!
At bare minimum, Snell SA2005 or newer helmet, if you need to buy one you'll only find SA2010, they are good for 10yrs. Get dot 4 high temp brake fluid, I use ATE Typ 200, it's great, cheap and never let's me down. If you can swing it get a good set of pads, at minimum Hawk street/track pads are good but dusty and noisy for everyday use. I like them because you can drive to and from the track on them (temp range is 100-1200*). Give your car a good inspection for leaks, alignment, fresh oil, torque your wheel lugs and empty all loose items from the car. I'm not sure what the clothing standard is at ASR, but normally long pants and shirt. I'm going to find out Monday and book for May 11.

Eric
Old 04-20-2015, 08:02 PM
medic_343
Instructor

At bare minimum, Snell SA2005 or newer helmet, if you need to buy one you'll only find SA2010, they are good for 10yrs. Get dot 4 high temp brake fluid, I use ATE Typ 200, it's great, cheap and never let's me down. If you can swing it get a good set of pads, at minimum Hawk street/track pads are good but dusty and noisy for everyday use. I like them because you can drive to and from the track on them (temp range is 100-1200*). Give your car a good inspection for leaks, alignment, fresh oil, torque your wheel lugs and empty all loose items from the car. I'm not sure what the clothing standard is at ASR, but normally long pants and shirt. I'm going to find out Monday and book for May 11.
Eric
I plan on getting a brake fluid flush done so I'll just take the fluid off my choice for them to fill with. Silly question I know but even though the reservoir says DOT 3 you can use DOT 4 because it exceeds the requirements right? I'm not sure I'll be able to swing getting a new set of pads by then so I'll have to work with what I got.
What about payment? The 100 will be collected at the track or ahead of time?
Old 04-20-2015, 08:08 PM
hxrly
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't do it on the weekend? I just took leave, it may be hard to get that Monday off, unless it's a DONSA.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:27 PM
insertclevername
Instructor

I plan on getting a brake fluid flush done so I'll just take the fluid off my choice for them to fill with. Silly question I know but even though the reservoir says DOT 3 you can use DOT 4 because it exceeds the requirements right? I'm not sure I'll be able to swing getting a new set of pads by then so I'll have to work with what I got.
What about payment? The 100 will be collected at the track or ahead of time?
DOT 4 is interchangeable with 3, DOT 3 is manufacture preferred because the change intervals are longer than DOT 4. DOT 4 absorbs moisture faster than DOT 3, but I flush my brakes about every 2 track events or 6 months. On the pads, make sure you have 1/2 pad or more left.
I was told to call them on May 9 to confirm day(s) and they have not asked me for money yet, I'll let you know after the 9th. So far I know the 100 is good for 1-5 cars after 5 cars they need to carry insurance and the cost per car goes up.

What car will you be bringing?

Eric
Old 04-20-2015, 10:32 PM
medic_343
Instructor

DOT 4 is interchangeable with 3, DOT 3 is manufacture preferred because the change intervals are longer than DOT 4. DOT 4 absorbs moisture faster than DOT 3, but I flush my brakes about every 2 track events or 6 months. On the pads, make sure you have 1/2 pad or more left.
I was told to call them on May 9 to confirm day(s) and they have not asked me for money yet, I'll let you know after the 9th. So far I know the 100 is good for 1-5 cars after 5 cars they need to carry insurance and the cost per car goes up.

What car will you be bringing?

Eric
Ah I see. So the DOT 4 I bought for my clutch fluid will work. Thanks for that. I'll take a look at my brake pads and see what needs to be done there. I'll be bringing the car in my profile, an 07 C6 z51 6spd. It's my DD.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:37 PM
insertclevername
Instructor

Originally Posted by hxrly
Can't do it on the weekend? I just took leave, it may be hard to get that Monday off, unless it's a DONSA.
No can't, I'm taking that week off and don't feel like spending the extra on the weekends. Plus it's harder to get a weekend because they have events more often for motorcycles etc.

It would be great to see you out there!

Eric
Old 04-20-2015, 10:39 PM
insertclevername
Instructor

Ah I see. So the DOT 4 I bought for my clutch fluid will work. Thanks for that. I'll take a look at my brake pads and see what needs to be done there. I'll be bringing the car in my profile, an 07 C6 z51 6spd. It's my DD.
Yes it will work for your clutch, that's why I asked about the car. I was going to recommend you flush the clutch fluid with DOT 4 if you have a manual.

Not all DOT 4's are equal, what do you have?
Old 04-23-2015, 08:06 PM
medic_343
Instructor

Yes it will work for your clutch, that's why I asked about the car. I was going to recommend you flush the clutch fluid with DOT 4 if you have a manual.

Not all DOT 4's are equal, what do you have?
Just based off what I read in here, I went with Prestone Dot 4.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:50 PM
hxrly
Racer

Just based off what I read in here, I went with Prestone Dot 4.
That's what I use; easy to find locally and it holds up fine for a little track work. As long as you don't have a dedicated track car, or plan to do 30 minute sessions, it works just fine. I end up flushing the brake fluid after each track day anyway. At just $7 per quart, it's cheap insurance.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:18 PM
insertclevername
Instructor

I agree, I'm used to FL. and the humidity, here I suppose the dry helps eliminate the need for a high wet boiling point. I've boiled fluid before, so I go with what has worked for me time after time since. I've done 20+ minute sessions at Sebring, Daytona & Homestead in my '13 Boss 302 without issue using ATE.

If it doesn't rain Sunday I'm going to ASR.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:40 AM
Xfactors
Instructor

Originally Posted by Xfactors
I've heard good things about Resler Automotive. I took my car there once, and was very happy with their service. Arturo Segura is the manager there. He's the guy to talk to. I think he's honest. Ph# is (915)833-5661. Their website is http://www.reslerautomotive.com/ I was very impressed with Arturo Segura.
Well, after my 4 free oil changes run out this Oct, 2015, I may use Resler Automotive to change my oil. I don't yet know what Viva and Rudolph will charge me to change my oil, but I'm guessing Resler will be cheaper. I have a 2014 C7 with Z51 so it's going to be expensive wherever I take it. I'm not looking forward to it when I have to start paying for these oil changes.

You guys have any suggestions on where I should get my oil changed?

hxrly, I see you took the plunge and got a C7. I've been away from this forum for awhile, so I didn't know.

I got my 3rd free oil change at Rudolph today. My first 2 free oil changes were at Viva. I'll get my last free oil change at Viva this Oct, then I'm on my own for oil changes.

I got my car Nov 1st of 2013 and it now has 1,360 miles on it.

When getting oil change, I think it takes 9.2 quarts of Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5W-30 Dexos 1 specification, if you have the Z51 option.

Last edited by Xfactors; 04-28-2015 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:41 AM
hxrly
Racer

Originally Posted by Xfactors
hxrly, I see you took the plunge and got a C7. I've been away from this forum for awhile, so I didn't know.

I got my car Nov 1st of 2013 and it now has 1,360 miles on it.
I got mine in November last year and it already has 12k+ and counting.

As far as the oil changes, mine has not seen the dealership; I do every oil change myself. The Z51 takes 9 quarts to stay at the bottom of the range on the dipstick, any more than that and you risk getting oil on your intake. I should be doing my next oil change this weekend, if you want you can swing by to see how I do it. It costs me about $50 for the oil and $10 for a filter.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:59 AM
Xfactors
Instructor

Originally Posted by hxrly
I got mine in November last year and it already has 12k+ and counting.

As far as the oil changes, mine has not seen the dealership; I do every oil change myself. The Z51 takes 9 quarts to stay at the bottom of the range on the dipstick, any more than that and you risk getting oil on your intake. I should be doing my next oil change this weekend, if you want you can swing by to see how I do it. It costs me about $50 for the oil and $10 for a filter.
Hey, thanks for the offer, but I really don't want to change the oil myself. I might get my hands dirty.

The dealerships around the country are still confused about what oil to put in new C7 corvettes. GM put out a bulletin to only use Mobil 1 in C7 vettes, but many dealerships haven't taken notice. I took my 2014 vette with Z51 into Rudolph yesterday for free oil change. I told my service advisor my vette needed Mobil 1. He responded back to me with, "No it doesn't. It needs dexos 1." I guess the mechanic knew better because he put in Mobil 1. At least that what it says on my invoice. Hope the invoice is correct.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:16 AM
Xfactors
Instructor

Originally Posted by Glen e
Fumoto 107s with snap off sl10 adapter.....the other vid above i would stay away from, that's the first one I tried , and the threads broke off as I tightened it, cheap foreign pot metal instead of the fumoto which is brass. 6000 miles later and no leaks.
Glen e is advising to stay away from EZ Oil Drain Valve

Last edited by Xfactors; 04-29-2015 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:48 AM
Xfactors
Instructor

Hey guys, I waxed my vette yesterday. I got some wax on the wheel trim I couldn't get off. I then used Blue Dawn liquid dish washing soap, and it works. It got the wax off. I also tried using peanut butter and that works. It got the wax off. So remember those 2 products if you get wax on part of your car that you can't get off.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:54 PM
medic_343
Instructor

Default arroyo seco

Any updates on the track day next week?!

Get notified of new replies

To El Paso / Las Cruces Area Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 02:33 PM
insertclevername
Instructor

Any updates on the track day next week?!
They told me to contact them on 5/9 to confirm. As soon as I talk to them I'll post the times. Here is what Roger emailed me last.

At this point, call me on the 9th and confirm the dates.

There is a limit of 5 cars at $100 each on a private day unless we do trackday insurance which runs $700 per day.
Shirt and pants is fine, along with a helmet.
Rental hours are reg from 9-5 but can be adjusted to 8-4 or 10-6.
end quote.

Eric
Old 05-05-2015, 03:13 PM
dbhajek
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats a smoking deal, if I lived closer I would be joining you guys.

Bud

They told me to contact them on 5/9 to confirm. As soon as I talk to them I'll post the times. Here is what Roger emailed me last.

At this point, call me on the 9th and confirm the dates.

There is a limit of 5 cars at $100 each on a private day unless we do trackday insurance which runs $700 per day.
Shirt and pants is fine, along with a helmet.
Rental hours are reg from 9-5 but can be adjusted to 8-4 or 10-6.
end quote.

Eric
Old 05-05-2015, 04:59 PM
insertclevername
Instructor

Originally Posted by dbhajek
Thats a smoking deal, if I lived closer I would be joining you guys.

Bud
That would be great if you were closer. I'll come over your way since you have all the tracks over there.

Quick Reply: El Paso / Las Cruces Area Thread