El Paso / Las Cruces Area Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 10:30 AM
Edmond
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
Edmond - LG Motorsports located in Dallas/Plano area did my Heads/Cam install. Flawless. Zero issues. It is quite a ways out, but they do have closed transporters that will come pick up your car and drive it back to their shop.
I want to do it myself. I have LGM headers so I know they make good products. I want the experience and bragging rights to say I did it myself.

Originally Posted by hxrly
Edmond, I'd gladly help you with your adventures, that way I know how to do it for when my time comes.
That means there will be two of us working on it who are doing it the first time.

Now I need to get those headers in... will probably try again Monday.
I will be there next Thursday and I did manage to get 10 days of PTDY so figure 2-3 days of unpacking and I will have 7-8 free days. If you can wait, I will be able to help you.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:19 AM
hxrly
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edmond
I will be there next Thursday and I did manage to get 10 days of PTDY so figure 2-3 days of unpacking and I will have 7-8 free days. If you can wait, I will be able to help you.
Thanks!

I was able to find rotors (cheap chinese) and PFC brake pads at O'Reillys in Alameda. Just got done installing them and bedding them in. They don't seem to have the initial bite of the stockers, but these pads should hold up much better to track abuse.

I'm all set for the track! Should be a nice day also. I'll make sure to take some video.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:23 PM
hxrly
Racer

Gave the new brakes and tires a nice break-in today.

There were five GT-Rs out there, those Nissans are crazy fast.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:46 AM
hxrly
Racer

Couple vids.

Towards the end of the day I got a bit quicker as I realized I could downshift into 2nd with the new tires.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:42 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Glad you found some replacements for the track! First vid is not really a "Corvette chasing a GT-R".....More like "Corvette catching up to a GT-R after a 0:30 delay..."

Looks like he took it easy to learn the track though. Smart move. When is the next track day? (Minus dust storms?)
Old 04-01-2013, 09:44 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Edmond - Since you are pulling the headers, have you considered a tunnel plate? If you don't have one, I hear they stiffen up the chasis quite a bit and depending on type (Thermal Abs), they cool down the cockpit some, especially around the thighs.

Just a sugestion.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:30 AM
hxrly
Racer

Next track day will be on April 27. Deanslist.us (on Facebook) is also hosting a track day on April, date TBD.

I really want to install those headers and get it tuned for that extra bit of HP. My car was the 2nd slowest of the group that came out last time. I was planning to get it up on jack stands today again but I have stuff to do.

Autocross this weekend both days. I have duty but I'm trying to swap it out to be there.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:18 PM
hxrly
Racer

Having a couple of issues

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...s-jumping.html
Old 04-02-2013, 05:33 PM
Edmond
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Edmond - Since you are pulling the headers, have you considered a tunnel plate? If you don't have one, I hear they stiffen up the chasis quite a bit and depending on type (Thermal Abs), they cool down the cockpit some, especially around the thighs.

Just a sugestion.
Yes, I have thought about it but it was years ago and I never went back to the idea again. The headers and mid pipe are on there just perfect so I didn't want to mess with it.

But I might have to because I'm getting some sort of rattling sound from the bell housing area.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:09 PM
1973 Vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, when you guys get together, let me know, I would be interested getting together if work allows. Seems you guys are Army, so as long as you dont have a problem with Air Force... Im out in Tularosa, stationed at Holloman. Also, as long as you guys are OK with an old C3 that is pretty much stock. A little slower then what you guys have, so the whole racing thing is not so much on my scope, but would take the kids to watch.
Thought about doing the El Paso vette club, but they get together on the weekdays. Anyway, let me know!!
Old 04-03-2013, 04:49 PM
hxrly
Racer

Originally Posted by 1973 Vette
Thought about doing the El Paso vette club, but they get together on the weekdays. Anyway, let me know!!
Maybe because they are all retired and don't work?

I'd like to meet up also, but right now mine is about to go on jackstands to finish installing the headers on my spare time.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:27 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Hey, when you guys get together, let me know, I would be interested getting together if work allows. Seems you guys are Army, so as long as you dont have a problem with Air Force... Im out in Tularosa, stationed at Holloman. Also, as long as you guys are OK with an old C3 that is pretty much stock. A little slower then what you guys have, so the whole racing thing is not so much on my scope, but would take the kids to watch.
Perhaps it's time to upgrade? Or at least, get a WickedC5 for your kids. Mine is up for sale..... Still a two seater, but not so family friendly. But fast enoug to sweeten the time it takes from Holloman to El Paso.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:29 AM
1973 Vette
Advanced

Maybe because they are all retired and don't work?

I'd like to meet up also, but right now mine is about to go on jackstands to finish installing the headers on my spare time.
Let me know when you are done and ready!!
Old 04-04-2013, 11:32 AM
1973 Vette
Advanced

Perhaps it's time to upgrade? Or at least, get a WickedC5 for your kids. Mine is up for sale..... Still a two seater, but not so family friendly. But fast enoug to sweeten the time it takes from Holloman to El Paso.
A C5 would be un upgrade in soooo many ways, but I gotta stick with my C3. Its the car that got me liking cars when I was a kid and I have wanted one since I was at least 9 years old.... Something about them.
Why are you selling your C5??
Old 04-04-2013, 01:56 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

A C5 would be un upgrade in soooo many ways, but I gotta stick with my C3. Its the car that got me liking cars when I was a kid and I have wanted one since I was at least 9 years old.... Something about them.
Why are you selling your C5??
Why am I selling? Bought a brand new 2013 C6 ZO6 at a closeout pricing! Merry Christmas to me and an early "Retirement" present. After 23 years of servitude in the U.S. Army, I deserve it.....And since you are no longer 9 years old, so do you!

The C5 FRC.....

The new ride.....

In the showroom.....

Delivery.....

Home Sweet Home.....

Old 04-04-2013, 11:36 PM
hxrly
Racer

The C5 looks better.

The guy that mentioned the ground connection on the other thread was spot on. This afternoon I tightened the connection and went on a 2 hour drive around EP without issues.

I think I will postpone the header install for May, I have a two week field exercise for which I have to get ready for and plan to work long hours next week.

Let me know if you guys want to meet either Friday evening or Sunday, I got duty Saturday.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:18 AM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Edmond, I'd gladly help you with your adventures, that way I know how to do it for when my time comes.

Glenn, you should come out Friday, the weather looks much better this time. I don't think I will be coming out when the weather start going past 100ºF, so I am taking advantage now with the cooler temps.

Tomorrow I will be getting a custom alignment and I will be looking for front brakes at least, these pads are done!

My tires came in today and Discount Tire hooked me up and installed them for me before they closed. Shipped, mounted, and Road Force balance for $900, good deal!

How r u liking the nt05s? Thats what I am planning on putting on soon. R yours 18s and 19s? Im in EP too and drive a silver C6 as a DD, work on post too.

Get notified of new replies

To El Paso / Las Cruces Area Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 01:25 AM
hxrly
Racer

Originally Posted by S'vette
How r u liking the nt05s? Thats what I am planning on putting on soon. R yours 18s and 19s? Im in EP too and drive a silver C6 as a DD, work on post too.
I see a silver C6 parked in my BN's parking lot (3-43 ADA) every day, but haven't met the owner yet.

You're welcome to come along for a ride to check out the NT05s. They are a bit slippery on some street surfaces, when it's cool out, or when it gets wet. Having said that, they work great on warm pavement (perfect for El Paso) and for the track/autocross. Just don't expect them to last long, because they don't. Mine are 275/40R17 up front and 295/35R18 in the back, so basically stock C5 Z06 sizes.

Anyone wants to meet on Sunday afternoon and go for a cruise around EP? Show some faces and check each other's rides. Maybe Glenn brings out his new Z06 and I finally get a chance to ride in one.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:34 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

I see a silver C6 parked in my BN's parking lot (3-43 ADA) every day, but haven't met the owner yet.

You're welcome to come along for a ride to check out the NT05s. They are a bit slippery on some street surfaces, when it's cool out, or when it gets wet. Having said that, they work great on warm pavement (perfect for El Paso) and for the track/autocross. Just don't expect them to last long, because they don't. Mine are 275/40R17 up front and 295/35R18 in the back, so basically stock C5 Z06 sizes.

Anyone wants to meet on Sunday afternoon and go for a cruise around EP? Show some faces and check each other's rides. Maybe Glenn brings out his new Z06 and I finally get a chance to ride in one.
Its way past my bedtime, but I am up now cause I can't sleep. 11:33 pm. Too bad I don't have the new Z here. But, I can give you a ride to Walmart in my 2001 Yukon
Old 04-06-2013, 12:22 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

I work in BLDG 620 by the 407th AFSBn (by the ID card bldg). Civil Service here but work with all the BCTs and their WIN T equipment.

Quick Reply: El Paso / Las Cruces Area Thread