Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

Broken transmission help (OKC)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 06:34 PM
bp92gsr
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Broken transmission help (OKC)

Just here to get some opinions on what this could be and what the fix is. After driving the car last night around town for 30 min or so The wife and I decided to head home. As we came up to the last stop before the entrance to our neighborhood I decided to stall it up for a couple seconds and the take off like I would at the strip. Car spun hard like normal and i let out of it to slow down in time for the entrance to our addition. Check engine light came on right after I floored it and let off. I took it easy to the driveway which is only a couple hundred feet from the neighborhood entrance. If you can imagine a driveway with a slight incline to get the the garage that's how our is and I avoid taking it at anything faster than 1-2mph to keep from taking my bumper off. Upon stopping and then accelerating again to get into the driveway car hesitated (like the converter or clutches were slipping severly) to make it over the bump. She still had enough forward driving power to get over but it took way more throttle than usual. Usually I can just let my foot off the brake and it goes right over. This time it needed me to throttle it up (approx 2k rpm).

So needless to say I got curious after work today and backed the car out into the driveway just to make sure it wasnt some fluke deal. Car acted the exact same in all forward gears but perfectly normal in reverse and neutral ( I used drive and shifter mode for specific gear selection to try to pinpoint issue to only 1st gear)

As some of you know I just got the car back on the road last week after having minor electrical problems. She lasted all of two weeks back on the road with the new wheel and tire setup before breaking again. Smh. I guess im super hard on cars.

What are your thoughts. I have not had the codes pulled yet for the CE light but I will hopefully soon. The fact that it still moves forward and reverse under its own power leads me to believe it's not a serious break. Could it be something minor?

Car is a 06 Base 6L80 car with a fully built LS2 (previously ran high 10s) 58k miles. Rear diff is a RPM stage 1 and a yank 3600 stall converter.

Anyone near OKC want to help pull a trans soon ;-)
Old 09-16-2014, 10:50 AM
sxeC7
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'09-'10

You've gotta quit watching "Street Outlaws"
It sounds like the computer has the engine in "limp mode" rather than a tranny problem.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:45 PM
bp92gsr
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Took the car out yesterday for a short cruise and it felt fine. Went into all gears like normal which has me believing it is strickly a input speed sensor issue that will likely arise again sometime soon. Needs to be replaced.

Get notified of new replies

To Broken transmission help (OKC)

Quick Reply: Broken transmission help (OKC)