Looking for advice on driving @ MSR Houston

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 11:52 PM
DFW_C7
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Looking for advice on driving @ MSR Houston

Hey all -

I have the opportunity to drive my C7 on the full course at MSR Houston next month and was looking for advice from people who have driven the track.

I've driven the shorter course at Motorsport ranch several times but looking at MSR it looks like a much faster track. Any advice on speeds, how to approach turns, things to watch for and just general advice on the track to get me acclimated quickly would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 09-24-2014, 09:41 AM
NealB
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DFW_C7
Hey all -

I have the opportunity to drive my C7 on the full course at MSR Houston next month and was looking for advice from people who have driven the track.

I've driven the shorter course at Motorsport ranch several times but looking at MSR it looks like a much faster track. Any advice on speeds, how to approach turns, things to watch for and just general advice on the track to get me acclimated quickly would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I drove the track CW last May in my Spec Miata

I read this before and it helped

http://www.trackjunkies.org/topic/62...w-track-notes/

should be lots of UTube vids out there

if you are running with an organization like NASA, get a ride with an instructor first

if you are running as a guest of a member, ask the front desk if you can get a ride -- I did that with James Rogerson, the manager at the time

don't know if he is still there since I've heard there has been an ownership change
Old 09-24-2014, 11:19 PM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DFW_C7
Hey all -

Thanks!
Which organization is running the event are you participating in? Which direction?

Yes, the straights are longer than the MSRC 1.7 circuit with slow turns at the ends (T 4-T5 & T16-T17). This is tough on brakes. Avoid the curbing in the Bus Stop (T8 - T9) it regularly eat wheels, splitters, anything it can catch. The transition into the front straight from either direction CW (carousel) or CCW (T16 - T17) is intimidating because of the pit wall. Other than that there is ample run-off room anywhere else on track.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:16 AM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Here is a video from running CCW a few months ago in my C5Z, might be a decent starting point as our lines should be similar.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:24 AM
smurfkiller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the most important thing is have fun. and dont crash your car or anyone elses. i would imagine youll have a instructor in the car with you listen to what they say and enjoy.

MSR Houston was the only track i got to run my car on before i sold it. for weeks after i was contemplating selling one of my kids so i could go back every weekend.

Last edited by smurfkiller; 09-25-2014 at 11:27 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for advice on driving @ MSR Houston

Quick Reply: Looking for advice on driving @ MSR Houston