corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Kingman, AZ info please

"Tired of the cold" retired Michiganders here planning to move to the area. My wife has relatives in Golden Valley and Bull Head City but those areas are a bit too hot for us in the summer. We have visited the area a few times while in Vegas and like what we have seen so far. Looks like Kingman is a bit higher in elevation and has a cooler climate but no deep snow in the winter.
Anything to avoid? Any high crime areas? Any Realtors you recommend or ones to avoid?
Looks like lots of places to cruise to if we lived there.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:11 AM
Coc5
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
"Tired of the cold" retired Michiganders here planning to move to the area. My wife has relatives in Golden Valley and Bull Head City but those areas are a bit too hot for us in the summer. We have visited the area a few times while in Vegas and like what we have seen so far. Looks like Kingman is a bit higher in elevation and has a cooler climate but no deep snow in the winter.
Anything to avoid? Any high crime areas? Any Realtors you recommend or ones to avoid?
Looks like lots of places to cruise to if we lived there.
Golden Valley is "Golden" because of the dust at sunset, avoid.
Ft Mohave, Bullhead, LHC, all DAMN HOT in the summer for sure.

Look at N. Stockton Hill Rd area north of Northern, past the city limits, just past the cattle guard or south of town. The NE part of Kingman and the "Birdland" streets are low income.

I will say this, I have seen one other than one white person and no illegals there which surprised the hell out of me! The drive throughs and restaurants have white people working there and your orders are almost always correct!

Also watch out for property that is water haul. Be VERY specific if you do NOT want that type of property. Realtors will try to push that on you. You will be surprised by the many, very nice properties that are water haul if you do look at those types.
Also, cash is king. If you can pay cash, close in a week, you are boss.

Crime? Not aware of it. MANY people carry and MANY people open carry. There are a lot of gun shops there, and people for the most part are conservative. Damn Liberals are NOT welcome and ran out of town.
Also be aware and don't be surprised on the roads. if you get passed by a ATV or side by side as they are legal to tag and drive on the street.
Many people just drive their side by sides to town and around town.

Yes, I have been almost everywhere.

Last edited by Coc5; 09-27-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:25 PM
firemon
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 34 Posts

Williams is Quite nice and only a 20 min drive to Flagstaff
Old 09-27-2014, 10:09 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII

Thanks! We have been to Williams and I actually have a coffee cup from there.
Conservative US Army veteran of Vietnam and Desert Storm here. My Pennsylvania relatives live in a rocky area where they collect rain water for showers and laundry and bring in their drinking water. It is a pain in the ****!
Old 09-28-2014, 03:32 PM
Coc5
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by firemon
Williams is Quite nice and only a 20 min drive to Flagstaff
Yes it is and so is Flagg and The North rim.
Williams is at nearly 6,800 ft! SNOW! Then don't ask about a well. They are DEEP. When you check on property to develop, you learn a lot about areas.
The thing is, they get snow and cold. Most people leaving the snow and cold do not want snow and cold, especially in AZ.
That is the reason I lived in Paradise Vally, Phoenix and Tucson. No SNOW.
Kingman has a hell of a LOT more to offer than Williams. Lake Mohave is just 30 minutes away, great boating, fishing and next to Bullhead, Lake Havasu just to the south and Vegas is just 1.5 hours north.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:24 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII

Looking at reservations for Vegas for mid January and going to spend a couple of days in Kingman to peep around.
Prices of existing homes are lower there than in my area according to Realtor.com
We took the train from Williams to the Grand Canyon a couple of years ago. They explained about their "Christmas Train". We no likee snow such as they have during that time of year.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:36 AM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,030 Likes on 670 Posts

Sounds like you're leaning towards Kingman, but have you checked out Prescott?
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Old 10-02-2014, 03:03 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet65te
Sounds like you're leaning towards Kingman, but have you checked out Prescott?
Mike T - Prescott AZ

Much more of a community feel to the town and just a short distance to excellent medical and airport in Phoenix - - and the beautiful pines north in Flag . . .

Old 12-02-2014, 01:27 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

I left the so. cal mountains about this time last year living at 7000 feet and while it was so. cal, it was still cold in the winter and averaged about 8 feet of snow over the course of the winter.

I did come to Lake Havasu for several reasons. Crime: Almost none as this is mostly a retirement community with many police and fire retirees as residents.

Boating: I love boats and this is the best place for it whether on the speed boat or on the kayak! No place beats Lake Havasu. 80 miles of waterway from Laughlin, Nv to Parker Dam and many other lakes around too.

Heat: Yes it gets hot here. This was my first summer here and while it was hot it was not near as bad as i expected. The house is air conditioned, my cars are air conditioned and the stores are air conditioned. As I need to worry about is walking through a parking lot. I also have a pool, a boat, kayak and lots of lake water! We had 2 days of 116, the rest were in the 110-112 range. We had 2 months of humidity which was the worst time but again, swimming pool 10 feet out my back door!

Cars: I love cars and havasu is a big car town with events going on all the time. Route 66 is nearby, Laughlin is 1 hour away, Vegas is about 2.5 hours away!

As a retirement community there are lots of medical facilities and there are many veterans here.

Kingman while a bit higher in altitude can still be 110 but there is no water there and driving around kingman is usually a nightmare due to lots of traffic especially in the winter time. Dont know what there is to do there other than Route 66. Bullhead...seems to be a fair amount of crime there, mostly drug usage according to the news. Laughlin is across the river from Bullhead. Bullhead does have the river but you can't get the big boats out there as the river level fluctuates too much.

Someone mentioned Prescott. You are used to the snow and Prescott does get snow but its usually mild and does not stay long. Prescott and the surrounding communities are very nice. Drawbacks in my opinion: No lakes for boats other than kayaks and small fishing boats. Housing is nice, expensive though in the nicer areas of Prescott. They do host a real nice corvette show in sept. as I recall. Lots of hills there and there are acreage property available but mostly in Prescott Valley where the wind can blow. Lots of grassland which I did not want to be around because of fire issues. Lastly, I was going to buy in Prescott before I decided on Havasu. I decided against Prescott because of the fire potential from very dry, half dead forests which is what we had up in Big Bear Lake in So. Cal. Every year they have big fires near that area and I was tired of dealing with it in So. Ca. Second, no boating in Prescott. Crime is low and its pretty there too.

When you fly into vegas, give a shout and maybe you can come out to Havasu and see what we have here. I'll show you around. For now, I have 7 cars, a large boat and a backhoe tractor in my garage. I could not find anything in Prescott to store my toys whereas Havasu is full of massive rv/toy garages. In fact, City of Havasu has a city motto like many cities do. Ours is "play like you mean it" and we do out here. Lots of 4 wheeling, atv's, shooting, cars, boats (I'm talking big boats). When its hot hot, you stay inside just like you do when you have the nasty winter weather. Here, its 10 months of awesome weather, 2 months of hot awesome weather!
Doug

Get notified of new replies

To Kingman, AZ info please

Quick Reply: Kingman, AZ info please