Fallen Best Friend, Racer and Fellow Car Fiend

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 08:48 AM
mjoacim
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fallen Best Friend, Racer and Fellow Car Fiend

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Those of you who live in the Houston area and maybe even some other areas, may have heard about the fatal crash at Houston Motorsports Park where a driver lost his life on September 28. This man was David Minx, "Mighty Mouse", my BEST friend of 18 years, to be my best man in my wedding in January, an incredible mechanic, driver and role model as a human. He and his family are almost solely responsible for my success in life. Dave was not only a car FIEND, professional drag racer, innovator and mechanical genius (seriously), but one of the most selfless people I have ever met in my 32 years. And jeezus was he hilarious. If anyone wants to hear the story about the time he cut the couch in the living room in half with a chainsaw WHILE IT WAS STILL IN THE LIVING ROOM because it was too heavy for us to move, , just let me know. Dave saved so many people's asses (including mine) so many times it's not even funny. There was NOTHING he couldn't build, fix or dream up. Then build and fix it again, lol. I know it's cliche and that whenever anyone is called home the echoeings of what a wonderful person they were are highlighted. But people, seriously, this guy was a legend. The simple man who just went to work everyday to take care of his wife and 16 year old son had no idea the amount of people he would touch. I gave the eulogy at his services and there were over 400 people there. He was only 34. How is that even possible? Amazing.

So as his family, friends, wife and son trudge forward without their glue that held them together, we will be having a fanastic benefit/memorial race event in his honor at Houston Motorsports Park on November 15th. There willl be a 5.80 class race/grudge race, car show, food, shirts and a live auction. All proceeds go to his widow and 16 year old son. Whom I might add isn't thrilled about his newly assigned responsibility of stepping in as my best man which means he has to wear a suit, lol. Entrance will be $15 at the gate and the car show is $10 to enter. There are details about the event on Facebook as well as a cruise to the event organized by (many thanks to) Sarges Street Meet and Troy Reynolds. Please see the links below or feel free to PM me ANY time for questions.

http://www.chron.com/houston/article...ck-5790706.php

https://www.facebook.com/#!/events/2...ilter=upcoming

Last edited by mjoacim; 10-27-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:13 PM
techvette
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like a worthy cause for a worthy fallen friend, Mike. I will be there.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:20 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry fro the loss of a obviously respected man.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:15 AM
mjoacim
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you, gentlemen. The world lost a one of a kind that night.

Ben, look forward to hanging/drinking at the F1 and seeing you at the benefit. I know some guys from our neighborhood are planning a cruise out to the track for the benefit. If you wanna link up, let me know. I'll be bringing my black '68 Camaro and my silver Z on the trailer to run the 5.80 class and the grudge racing, so I'll already be there.

Get notified of new replies

To Fallen Best Friend, Racer and Fellow Car Fiend

Quick Reply: Fallen Best Friend, Racer and Fellow Car Fiend