Thinking of Touring the Grand Canyon

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 11:33 AM
x88
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Thinking of Touring the Grand Canyon

Hello everyone!
I have two weeks off from work and as a driving enthusiast wanted to explore something new. I have narrowed touring the Grand Canyon as the best option this time of year considering we are sitting at 26 degrees here in NJ right now and Phoenix is in the 70s (if I am not mistaken).

Are there any tips any of you may have to offer for a felolow Vette owner while I am down there? Some great sights to see, great bars/venues to check out while I am there? Or any tips at all, such as which company to rent a nice car from, or any scenic roads to hit up?

I found a place that will rent a 911s for 300 a day (100 mile allowance per day). So far that seems like the best option but I am still researching. It would be between Dec 26-30th. I am 26 years old and likely to be travelling alone.

I did a trip simular to this to Germany last year in an audi TT and got to tour the whole country, including of course, the Nurburgring It was a blast and I am looking forward to this trip as well!

Thanks in advance for any advice
Old 12-09-2014, 04:01 AM
GL10DR
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Two places that we enjoyed while visiting the Grand Canyon

Petrified Forest National Park
http://www.nps.gov/pefo/planyourvisit/hours.htm

Sunset Crater Volcano
http://www.nps.gov/sucr/index.htm

Enjoy your trip, there are probably more places but these are the two I know about.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:20 PM
XLR8TIN
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by GL10DR
Two places that we enjoyed while visiting the Grand Canyon

Petrified Forest National Park
http://www.nps.gov/pefo/planyourvisit/hours.htm

Sunset Crater Volcano
http://www.nps.gov/sucr/index.htm

Enjoy your trip, there are probably more places but these are the two I know about.
http://azrt66.com/rte66/
Old 12-10-2014, 06:42 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 774 Likes on 468 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

We stayed in Flagstaff, good food and a couple of brewpubs. Drove NNE out of Flagstaff and then cut west towards the GC. You can stay at the south rim.

There is also a train out of Williams, which is just west of Flagstaff, that goes up to the GC and stops.

Depending on how long you want to stay in the area, you can head down towards Sedona via Oak Creek Canyon.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:37 AM
Wisdom
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The_Ruski_Driver
Hello everyone!
I have two weeks off from work and as a driving enthusiast wanted to explore something new. I have narrowed touring the Grand Canyon as the best option this time of year considering we are sitting at 26 degrees here in NJ right now and Phoenix is in the 70s (if I am not mistaken).

Are there any tips any of you may have to offer for a felolow Vette owner while I am down there? Some great sights to see, great bars/venues to check out while I am there? Or any tips at all, such as which company to rent a nice car from, or any scenic roads to hit up?

I found a place that will rent a 911s for 300 a day (100 mile allowance per day). So far that seems like the best option but I am still researching. It would be between Dec 26-30th. I am 26 years old and likely to be travelling alone.

I did a trip simular to this to Germany last year in an audi TT and got to tour the whole country, including of course, the Nurburgring It was a blast and I am looking forward to this trip as well!

Thanks in advance for any advice

If you fly into Phoenix, the Grand Canyon South Rim is several hundred miles north. You're closer if you fly into Flagstaff. But if you follow the weather and ski reports, you'll find that Flagstaff is a good ski area for a reason. Also note that the GC South Rim is at 6000 feet elevation, and since this is winter, you'll find temperatures from the high 30's to the teens or lower. The backpacking and temperatures are nice during the winter if you go inside the canyon, but you need to obtain a backcountry permit for that. But it can still get cold.

So my recommendation is this: if you are trying to escape the cold, make it a trip to Las Vegas instead. If you want to see the GC in winter, then fly into Flagstaff and go to the South Rim and take in the views. Just east of Flagstaff there's Meteor Crater which is worth seeing at least once. Then in May, before the Memorial Day airfare increases, fly into Las Vegas and drive to the GC North Rim for a vastly different feel for the canyon. Then you can go drive over to Zion National Park (hike Angel's Landing) and see that area before spending a few days back in Las Vegas. Take someone with you.

- Wisdom

Last edited by Wisdom; 12-11-2014 at 12:41 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:13 PM
x88
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks for all the replies gentlemen! Seems like I may be better off pushing this trip to the spring time. Always good to have extra time to prepare, and it looks like I have a lot of reading to do
Old 12-17-2014, 09:09 AM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 881 Likes on 572 Posts

Some good suggestions made. If you get to Phoenix, drop by the Penske museum. There are also some fun roads going northeast from Phoenix up into the mountains.

If you are going when the weather is warm, then Lake Powell is a do not miss. IMHO, most of the better driving roads in that area are in central/southern Utah.

As mentioned, the Oak Creek Canyon drive is a good one. Sedona is a red rock tourist trap any time of year. Jerome is interesting and the drive from there towards Prescott is fun.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:09 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

If you fly into Las Vegas it will be cheaper than the other airports and you can rent any type of car you want. Grand Canyon is probably4.5-5 hours but I'd recommend staying in Williams, Az at "The Lodge". Its walking distance to the train if you decide to take the train in to the park and its pretty central to the town. Its also just a couple of blocks to Southrims Beer and Wine Garage. This place was an old garage way back but had been closed down for quite a while. New owners came in to make a Wine place and when they tore up the floor they found an old car hoist under the floor. they restored it and currently park a 65 black GTO on a hoist. Food and service was great.

While traveling from Vegas you can pass by Hoover Dam then come out to Kingman, Arizona and take Route 66 through several old towns such as Hackberry, Peach Springs, Seligman (which you must stop at Sno-Cap) for lunch. Stop in at the Grand Canyon Caverns and take an elevator several hundred feet underground to explore the huge caverns. Depending on the time that you have, drop on down to Sedona, beautiful red rocks and canyons. If you like old western towns swing over to Prescott!

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking of Touring the Grand Canyon

Quick Reply: Thinking of Touring the Grand Canyon