family vacation spots in Texas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 09:24 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default family vacation spots in Texas?

Hello all,
I'm thinking of taking my family (myself, wife, a 14 year old and a 16 year old) on a family vacation to Texas. We would like to have someplace to spend a lot of time sitting on the beach watching the ocean. Of course, having the kids with we may like to find some other entertainment for a day or two as well. Not looking for any high rent 5 star resort or anything. A nice little town with some things to do nearby and a little bungalow with a kitchenette on the beach would be great. I used to go to McAllen every year growing up and am not all that keen on going back down that far again. We are in NE South Dakota so I don't want to kill too much time driving down there.

Can any of you locals help me out? I talked to a guy in Vegas this fall that said Galveston is the place for me to be. Any suggestions or opinions on that?

Thanks,
Justin
Old 12-09-2014, 10:42 AM
Navybluevette
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Dalannex
Hello all,
I'm thinking of taking my family (myself, wife, a 14 year old and a 16 year old) on a family vacation to Texas. We would like to have someplace to spend a lot of time sitting on the beach watching the ocean. Of course, having the kids with we may like to find some other entertainment for a day or two as well. Not looking for any high rent 5 star resort or anything. A nice little town with some things to do nearby and a little bungalow with a kitchenette on the beach would be great. I used to go to McAllen every year growing up and am not all that keen on going back down that far again. We are in NE South Dakota so I don't want to kill too much time driving down there.

Can any of you locals help me out? I talked to a guy in Vegas this fall that said Galveston is the place for me to be. Any suggestions or opinions on that?

Thanks,
Justin

I would check out the Corpus Christi area.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:04 PM
AWOL
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=Dalannex;1588443799]Hello all,

When do you plan on doing this. Galveston is nice with many things to do besides the beach such as the pleasure pier, Moody Gardens, etc. the Houston Space Center is just a half hour drive up the road towards Houston.
If you are planning on doing this trip in the winter, the weather can be dicey. It can be the low 80's one day and the next 40.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:09 PM
Spare Time Toy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you go to the Houston area do take in NASA. They have rockets outside you can see and get next to. I never knew a Saturn 5 was so huge. You take the tour and see where the moon rocks are and watch them train in a huge pool.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:45 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

I would suggest going to South Padre Island south of Corpus Christi. The beaches and water are nicer then Galveston. Not as much to do as in Galveston though. Enjoy your trip.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:41 PM
David426
Safety Car

Received 130 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Street Rat
I would suggest going to South Padre Island south of Corpus Christi. The beaches and water are nicer then Galveston. Not as much to do as in Galveston though. Enjoy your trip.
Galveston is a dump.. Just my opinion, I've been up and down the Texas coastline, on most every beach.. Born and raised here in Texas. You can break the trip up on the way down to South Padre, or on the way back home.. San Antonio or San Marcos are both great places to stay for a night or a day.

Last edited by David426; 12-10-2014 at 10:49 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:22 PM
DFWLCJ
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by David426
Galveston is a dump.. Just my opinion, I've been up and down the Texas coastline, on most every beach.. Born and raised here in Texas. You can break the trip up on the way down to South Padre, or on the way back home.. San Antonio or San Marcos are both great places to stay for a night or a day.
Like David says....Head to So Padre for a few days...then back to San Antonio area.. .. see the Alamo & Riverwalk, then New Braunfels area and float the river, go to Schlitterbahn.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:31 PM
TX Torch
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by David426
It is fun to see what international trash washes ashore in Galveston
Old 12-13-2014, 01:32 AM
David426
Safety Car

Received 130 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by TX Torch
It is fun to see what international trash washes ashore in Galveston
Cruise Ships dump that Trash in the Water.. Its against the law but not enforced .. Cruise Ships are Giant Trash Cans on Water..
Old 12-13-2014, 03:32 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

South Padre Island, or the Alabama, NW Florida Gulf Coast.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:17 PM
Ret.NavyGTO
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DFWLCJ
Like David says....Head to So Padre for a few days...then back to San Antonio area.. .. see the Alamo & Riverwalk, then New Braunfels area and float the river, go to Schlitterbahn.

My wife and daughter liked San Antonio so much when I was in the Military they forced me to move back here.

The Botanical garden, wild life safari ranch, San Antonio Zoo and the Japanese tea garden next door to it are nice too.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:20 PM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 881 Likes on 572 Posts

I'd say either Port Aransas or South Padre. You are looking at about 2.5 hours difference in driving time. South Padre is more touristy. The pace in Port A will be a little slower and I suspect the prices a little more moderate.

In Corpus you have the USS Lexington and the Aquarium. I'm sure there will be other stuff going on, just not sure what.

Good suggestions for stopping in San Antonio. If you are going this time of the year, the River Walk decorated for Christmas is pretty spectacular.

The water will be too cold for river rafting, etc. At least for me, I grew up in Corpus.

Rockport is an interesting little town as well. Has become an art colony of sorts and is a short drive from Port A.

Wherever you go, be safe, have fun.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:54 AM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Definitely go to south padre over Galveston. The river walk and six flags in San Antonio would also be nice things to do with your family.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:36 AM
Milton Fox
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Based on your not wanting to go down as far as McAllen and if you want things for the kids to do then Galveston/Houston would be your best bet. I would suggest the Crystal beach area though for better beaches and clearer water. It is to the NE of Galveston Island on the Bolivar Penisula - access by ferry from I 45 is best. If you go to Galveston be sure to check out the Strand area as well. Kemah has a boardwalk and is not far from NASA. If you are coming down on I 35 I would suggest a day at Hutchinson, Kansas to see the Cosmophere and Space museum! A day or two in either Dallas or Fort Worth would be a lot of family options for you as well. There is the OKC Bombing and the Cowboy Museums in OKC. Be sure to hit a Buccees (gas station) in Texas - an experience in and of itself!

Last edited by Milton Fox; 12-29-2014 at 12:41 AM.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:48 PM
acheman8
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree with what most everyone says about Galveston -- not really very nice beaches. In fact, if you are really adamant about a beach setting, I would probably not pick Texas.

However, if you are adamant about a Texas beach destination, can't do much better than South Padre Island. I also agree with a swing through San Antonio (SeaWorld, Fiesta Texas, Alamo / River Walk) and New Braunfels (Schlitterbahn, float the Comel river.)

When we do a driving beach vacation, we typically go to either Destin or Orange, Alabama.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:42 PM
noel48
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Other than the main strip Corpus is a dump.Pan handlers everywhere.The ship is nice and the aquarium is ok.Like others said South Padre with stops in SA and Houston is a good idea.You can also see Gas Monkey Garage in Dallas
Old 01-02-2015, 07:29 PM
mysloride
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Milton Fox
Based on your not wanting to go down as far as McAllen and if you want things for the kids to do then Galveston/Houston would be your best bet. I would suggest the Crystal beach area though for better beaches and clearer water. It is to the NE of Galveston Island on the Bolivar Penisula - access by ferry from I 45 is best. If you go to Galveston be sure to check out the Strand area as well. Kemah has a boardwalk and is not far from NASA. If you are coming down on I 35 I would suggest a day at Hutchinson, Kansas to see the Cosmophere and Space museum! A day or two in either Dallas or Fort Worth would be a lot of family options for you as well. There is the OKC Bombing and the Cowboy Museums in OKC. Be sure to hit a Buccees (gas station) in Texas - an experience in and of itself!
I agree... Crystal Beach is the best beach in the Houston area. Call Sweads rentals they can hook up up

Get notified of new replies

To family vacation spots in Texas?

Old 01-02-2015, 07:40 PM
acheman8
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mysloride
I agree... Crystal Beach is the best beach in the Houston area. Call Sweads rentals they can hook up up
Yeah, but saying the "best beach in the Houston area" is kind of like saying "prettiest girl in an ugly contest." No Houston area beach is worth more than a 45 minute drive IMHO...
Old 01-02-2015, 10:31 PM
smitty1966
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Galveston beaches are dirty since they get all the debris that flows out of the Mississippi River. And sometimes there is tar on the beach from oil wells. Best beaches by far in Pensacola. South padre is pretty good, all condos down there.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:42 PM
Marconi7
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by acheman8
Yeah, but saying the "best beach in the Houston area" is kind of like saying "prettiest girl in an ugly contest." No Houston area beach is worth more than a 45 minute drive IMHO...
LOL I live in Houston and I agree with that statement.

For the OP, the farther away from the Mississippi the better. The silt flows toward Galveston and the Texas cost. So the farthest south on the Texas coast or to the east of the Mississippi you'll see better beaches (white sand).

There are things to do in the area. The Strand, the Elisa, NASA, Moody Gardens, Pleasure Pier, Kemah boardwalk and Schlitterbahn come to mind. The history is interesting. Food is great too.

South Padre is the best for the beaches in Texas. I have not been there in quite a while so I'm not sure if there is a lot to do there.

Texas is a pretty big state.

Quick Reply: family vacation spots in Texas?