Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

Texas: New combined inspection/registration sticker.....emissions

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 11:53 PM
Z06ish
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Spare Time Toy
I have the same basic issue with my truck. I just renewed my tags and my sticker is up in march. You Must ahve your inspection no more than 3 months before you get your tags I'm trying to get an answer as to if the first go round they extend the sticker time for my inspection or if I need to get an inspection when I expire then another one within the 3 month window.
Twostepsonesticker.com explains it pretty well. 2015 is a transition year so you are good until your current registration expires this year regardless of when your inspection expires during 2015. My understanding is that you will only have to get one within the 90 days before you register.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:52 AM
TX-Techman
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06ish
Twostepsonesticker.com explains it pretty well. 2015 is a transition year so you are good until your current registration expires this year regardless of when your inspection expires during 2015. My understanding is that you will only have to get one within the 90 days before you register.
Yes it does, the only thing that is a little gray is if the registration expires in Feb 2015 and inspection Feb 2015 or later. It specifically states that March registrations and later in the year inspections can wait until next year for inspections. But in the case of one car I have in which registration expires in Feb, I am going to take chance and pull the inspection sticker when I apply the new registration.

http://twostepsonesticker.com/#collapseThree

I bet the car inspection stations are really happy about the lost revenue this year.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:06 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TX-Techman
Yes it does, the only thing that is a little gray is if the registration expires in Feb 2015 and inspection Feb 2015 or later. It specifically states that March registrations and later in the year inspections can wait until next year for inspections. But in the case of one car I have in which registration expires in Feb, I am going to take chance and pull the inspection sticker when I apply the new registration.

I bet the car inspection stations are really happy about the lost revenue this year.
Buy the sticker in January. You inspection will still be valid.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:26 PM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

Anyone know the state fee cost for inspection that is now getting tacked on the registeration? The one that we won't have to pay at the inspection station anymore. Just curious how much the cost of inspection will decrease at the station.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:53 PM
bcarp
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's see if I underst this correct. I renewed my tags in February, my inspection was out. Since I already have my new tags/registration do I remove my expired inspection and not have to get it inspected again until February ??
Old 03-02-2015, 05:26 PM
Ken Erickson
Racer

Originally Posted by Not4spd
Anyone know the state fee cost for inspection that is now getting tacked on the registeration? The one that we won't have to pay at the inspection station anymore. Just curious how much the cost of inspection will decrease at the station.
If I understand the new the process - you still pay for the inspection at your favorite location which is then entered into the state's computer database. You then go to your local county tax location and pay for your registration. Same as before. The only difference is that inspection station don't install the "old" inspection sticker on your windshield. The only thing I'm not sure about is where you install the new sticker. I saw what I was told was the new two-in-one sticker last year which looked like it was to be mounted on the tag - the front tag.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:04 PM
zdeckich
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 231 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year

Got mine done yesterday. the inspection cost me $25.50. Then you have to go to the courthouse, dmv, online etc. to get it registered. They will also charge you $39.95 and what ever your registration cost. Seems to me like we are getting screwed out of $25. I also have a big cam, headers with cats, tinted tail lights, but had no problem passing.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:48 PM
frodo84
Uneducated overachiever
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken Erickson
If I understand the new the process - you still pay for the inspection at your favorite location which is then entered into the state's computer database. You then go to your local county tax location and pay for your registration. Same as before. The only difference is that inspection station don't install the "old" inspection sticker on your windshield. The only thing I'm not sure about is where you install the new sticker. I saw what I was told was the new two-in-one sticker last year which looked like it was to be mounted on the tag - the front tag.
Are you saying they're going back to putting stickers on the plates again?
Old 03-03-2015, 10:13 PM
TX-Techman
Racer

Originally Posted by frodo84
Are you saying they're going back to putting stickers on the plates again?
No, the registration sticker design has not changed.
Look under miscellaneous - http://twostepsonesticker.com/resources

Also the fee schedule is listed on this link and it has not changed. The total fee is the same as last year $39.75 total in my county.
http://twostepsonesticker.com/motorists

There is lots of confusion, I have called a few agencies including the local PD and sheriff and they are not sure. The registration was due on one car in Feb, I peeled the inspection and registration stickers off and put the new registration sticker on today based on what I was told and also information available on the Texas DPS website.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:02 PM
Navybluevette
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by zdeckich
Got mine done yesterday. the inspection cost me $25.50. Then you have to go to the courthouse, dmv, online etc. to get it registered. They will also charge you $39.95 and what ever your registration cost. Seems to me like we are getting screwed out of $25. I also have a big cam, headers with cats, tinted tail lights, but had no problem passing.

According to the state website you should have paid the station $31.50 and when you register the car $8.25 is added to the registration fee.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:17 PM
bcarp
Pro

Originally Posted by TX-Techman

I didn't think this was clear either so I called dps. One vehicle I have the registration expired in February and inspection in March. They said I need to get it inspected within 90 days of my registration expiring in 2016 and I could remove the expired inspection.
The other also had the registration expiring February 2015. I purchased the new sticker in February, the inspection expired on it several months ago I asked if I needed to get it inspected or wait until February 2016, again they said remove the expired inspection and get it done before the registration expires in 2016.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:25 AM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

If you click on the link posted above there is a box on the right that tells you what you need to do. You plug in your registration and inspection months. My registration is August and the inspection is July. It says that I need an inspection before I can register the car. If I swap the months around the inspection is still current so I do not need an inspection until 2016.

Last edited by spdkilz911; 03-04-2015 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:31 AM
Torch Rot Z
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I still don't see why it should be an issue. You get your car inspected at the same places that do it now, you just don't get a a sticker, you receive a "pass" paper. Then you take that where you get your registration and get your sticker. At least that's how I saw it. Am I missing something?
Old 03-05-2015, 09:22 AM
Navybluevette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Torch Rot Z
I still don't see why it should be an issue. You get your car inspected at the same places that do it now, you just don't get a a sticker, you receive a "pass" paper. Then you take that where you get your registration and get your sticker. At least that's how I saw it. Am I missing something?
Thats the way I see it, there's no difference in the cost ($39.75) its just split up between the station ($31.50) and the state ($8.25) now.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:29 PM
zdeckich
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 231 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year

Originally Posted by Navybluevette
According to the state website you should have paid the station $31.50 and when you register the car $8.25 is added to the registration fee.
I have no idea lol. Ill try and post a pic of it when I go back down to my car, but it was $25.50 and here is what it cost for me to register it.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:15 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

So, my registration doesn't expire til 12/15 but my inspection is currently expired. Does this mean I get a pass until I have to renew at the end of the year?
Old 03-05-2015, 04:26 PM
Navybluevette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
So, my registration doesn't expire til 12/15 but my inspection is currently expired. Does this mean I get a pass until I have to renew at the end of the year?

I believe you get a free pass until next years registration is due.

Get notified of new replies

To Texas: New combined inspection/registration sticker.....emissions

Old 03-06-2015, 11:16 PM
TX-Techman
Racer

Originally Posted by bcarp
I didn't think this was clear either so I called dps. One vehicle I have the registration expired in February and inspection in March. They said I need to get it inspected within 90 days of my registration expiring in 2016 and I could remove the expired inspection.
The other also had the registration expiring February 2015. I purchased the new sticker in February, the inspection expired on it several months ago I asked if I needed to get it inspected or wait until February 2016, again they said remove the expired inspection and get it done before the registration expires in 2016.
Yeap, that is exactly what I did. The little check utility on their website does not really tell you this information and lot of folks are paying for inspections that are not needed. At this point as long as your inspection is valid one month past the expiration of your registration you do not need to get an inspection this year. Just peel both old stickers off an put your new registration sticker on.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:22 PM
TX-Techman
Racer

Originally Posted by Navybluevette
I believe you get a free pass until next years registration is due.
Not until next year, you will have to have a valid Inspection to get your registration the end of the year but you can do that anytime. In 2016 you will need an inspection within 90 days of registering you car.

Be sure to peel your expired sticker off, you will not get another inspection sticker but may need to provide the inspection certificate to get your registration in late 2015.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:23 PM
danieloneil01
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So glad I live in OK now.

Quick Reply: Texas: New combined inspection/registration sticker.....emissions