Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

Planning trip through the Southwest

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 05:29 PM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,347 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverbullet00
Do not miss the Oklahoma City Memorial. The place is a breathtaking never forget experience. Murrah Building, I felt the blast from many miles away and the Memorial captures it all. The first heroes of the war on terrorism sprang from there.
At the moment of the blast, I was four blocks away and driving towards the exact area. I will never forget that day.

Also, the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum is in OKC. It is a world class museum, and includes world class art, artifacts, guns, etc. Cool place.

Visit the websites of either of the above for an idea of what may interest you.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:56 PM
CyberBullet
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by flatwater
Looking at AZ west of Flagstaff, two routes look interesting.

Route 10 out of Kingman to rejoin I-40 just east of Needles. And, Route 66 from Seligman to Kingman.

Any thoughts on those two?
If you come across I-40 from Kingman get off the freeway at Williams. I spent a couple of days there. took the train to the Grand Canyon Lodge. Williams is a neat place at night. Small town with some good food and bars.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:43 AM
SWO vette
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Stay overnight in Fort Stockton texas on I-10. Go south to Big Bend National Park and take the river road from Terlingua to Presidio. This road is a excellent motorcycle road and a great vette road. It runs along the Rio Grande and as such the Mexican border. Great views and it never get old. From Presidio go north thru Marfa and Fort Davis. Big telescopes and a old army fort there. Take 118 up to I-10 and stay at van horn or continue to ElPaso - to me Van Horn is safer as there is nothing there outside of a Hampton Inn and a good steak place. There are several redone historic hotels in Marfa, Alpine and fort Davis if you are into that. Some great art work in the one in alpine. Already planning a trip down in April or May.

For sure do the old 66 thing from Kingman to Williams.

Also in Elk City Ok and Clinton Ok there are good Route 66 museums. One concentrates on Oklahoma and the other the entire route- can't remember which is what.

One must stop in Adrian Tx and take a photo of the midpoint sign of old Route 66. It is located west of amarillo and just east of the texas-NM border.

Last edited by SWO vette; 03-01-2015 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:09 PM
ICU2TV
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

if you are interested in Route 66 you should make a stop in Gallup, NM, Flagstaff, AZ, Sante Fe, and Albuquerque NM. It is a great drive and Gallup is better than most in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Planning trip through the Southwest