Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

Planning trip through the Southwest

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 10:42 AM
flatwater
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Planning trip through the Southwest

My wife and I are planning to take our 07 vert on a three week trip from our home in Knoxville, TN through the southwest in May. We'll be stopping to visit friends in Dallas, Tuscon, and Oklahoma City.

Right now we're thinking of heading out via the southern route (~I-10) and coming back via ~I-40. We'd generally follow those interstate routes, but want stay off the interstates where practical to sample the local scenery/flavor.

We've looked at several of the Rt66 websites and plan to sample many of them through AZ, TX, & OK. Other than that we're wide open. Any suggestions for routes/sites we should see?
Old 01-14-2015, 01:19 PM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Lots of scenery and places to explore in NM; what's your route and how much are you willing to deviate from it? Rt. 66 through some of the eastern towns has some nostalgia, and Central Ave. (Rt. 66) through Albuquerque is, I believe, the longest urban stretch that still exists (some of which is interesting, some not so....)

Last edited by wamara; 01-14-2015 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:21 PM
flatwater
Instructor

Originally Posted by wamara
Lots of scenery and places to explore in NM; what's your route and how much are you willing to deviate from it? Rt. 66 through some of the eastern towns has some nostalgia, and Central Ave. (Rt. 66) through Albuquerque is, I believe, the longest urban stretch that still exists (some of which is interesting, some not so....)
Going west, through NM we're planning to follow the I-10 corridor from las Cruces to Tuscon since we'd be coming out of Dallas on I-20 then dropping down to I-10.

Heading east we're currently planning to stay generally along the I-40 corridor from Flagstaff across NM as we want to stop in Oklahoma City. But that said we're willing to deviate and even spend an extra day or so if there something worthwhile. We've discussed maybe detouring to Santa Fe for a day or so.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:16 PM
U17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

May event ..http://www.lonestarcorvetteclub.com/...dule_id=159533
Old 01-14-2015, 06:09 PM
medic_343
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Las Cruces and depending on how much time you plan on spending here can determine how much you get to see. If you're just driving through there is not much on the I-10 route as far as sight seeing. About 40 miles to the east of Cruces is white sands national monument which is pretty awesome, if you take HWY 285 just before I-20 hits I-10 you can catch Carlsbad Caverns national park which is awesome. Santa Fe won't be much of a detour off of I-40 as it's only about 30 minutes north of Albuquerque. I've made the drive from Las Cruces both to the east and the west plenty of times so if you have any questions feel free to message me. Have fun and enjoy the road trip!!
Old 01-14-2015, 06:14 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Take a look at Tombstone, AZ if you have a chance, Kartchner Caverns, and don't miss the 30-mile trip up Mount Lemmon in Tucson. Twisties and hundreds of turns up a scenic sonarran desert!!
Old 01-15-2015, 06:37 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 774 Likes on 468 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

Tucson - Pima Air Museum, Saguaro Nat. Park, drive up Mt Lemon, go to the Bone Yard at Davis Monthan AFB

Sedona/Oak Creek Canyon

Flagstaff,The Grand Canyon,Meteor Crater, Winslow Az

Albuquerque - The Unser Museum, eat a green chile cheeseburger, go north to Sante Fe and Taos.

After ABQ, put it on cruise control as there ain't nothing else to see.

Last edited by F4Gary; 01-15-2015 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:50 AM
flatwater
Instructor

Thanks for the responses everyone. You've given us some great options to consider. We'll be pulling together our 'loose' itinerary soon. Other than specific dates to visit friends, we're going to try to be flexible and just 'roam'.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:37 PM
Spare Time Toy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you come thru Texas on I10 how far east are you coming before heading north? If coming as far as San Antonio you will go thru Kerrville. Take a half a day and do the 3 sisters long loop. Look at the last couple pages of the 3 sisters run thread for some photos.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...th-thread.html

Last edited by Spare Time Toy; 01-16-2015 at 01:40 PM. Reason: put in the link.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:38 AM
dukecityevo
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I am not sure how far you want to deviate from I40 but there is a nice ride out of Albuquerque.
If you take 550 out of Albuquerque you can take that to Durango CO. It is about 3 ½ hours. If you don’t want to go that far, take 550 to San Ysidro. Take 4 through the Jemez Pueblo and Jemez mountains. 4 also takes you through Bandelier National Monument. Turn on to 502 which takes you through Los Alamos. Turn right on to 285/84 in Pojoaque which takes you through Camel Rock and right into Santa Fe. Out of Santa Fe instead of taking I25 back into Albuquerque, take 14, the Turquoise Trail through Madrid. While in Madrid you have to stop at the Mine Shaft Tavern. 14 continues through the Sandia Mountains. While on 14, you can take a ride up to the top of the Sandia Mountains. 14 will take you back to I40. The ride is about 200 miles and depending how long you stop along the way, it can be done in a day.

If you are taking I10 through Las Cruces, you have to head south on 28 to La Mesa and eat at Chopies Restaurant for some great Spanish food. It’s probably only a half hour south but worth the trip.

I hope this helps you out. If you need any other suggestions, just send me a PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:27 PM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

On your drive east the Petrified Forest National Park is interesting. Stop in Winslow, AZ for your own iconic photo op at the corner, and eat and/or stay at the La Posada Hotel there (famous Fred Harvey Hotel with lots of history and a very good restaurant).
I'll vouch for the Unser Racing Museum in ABQ, and if Al is in town, he's usually at the museum for some part of the day; he genuinely enjoys meeting visitors too.
The "nuclear" museum in Los Alamos has lots of interesting historical exhibits.
The reality is you will have to pick and choose as there are so many places to stop and visit. If I can be of any further help, feel free to PM me.

Last edited by wamara; 01-17-2015 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:32 PM
Blue 396
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flatwater
My wife and I are planning to take our 07 vert on a three week trip from our home in Knoxville, TN through the southwest in May. We'll be stopping to visit friends in Dallas, Tuscon, and Oklahoma City.

Right now we're thinking of heading out via the southern route (~I-10) and coming back via ~I-40. We'd generally follow those interstate routes, but want stay off the interstates where practical to sample the local scenery/flavor.

We've looked at several of the Rt66 websites and plan to sample many of them through AZ, TX, & OK. Other than that we're wide open. Any suggestions for routes/sites we should see?
Should you pass thru Amarillo TX on I-40 be sure and check out Cadillac Ranch west of town on I40 between Amarillo and Bushland not marked and free - the original burial of Caddy's nose first featured in lots of mags and tour guides takes about 20 minutes. Lunch or dinner recommend Country Barn Steakhouse, Hoffbrau Steakhouse or Leal's Mexican food all local right off I40 on west side- if you spend night stay on west side (avoid east side at night) - avoid Big Texan east on I40 tourist trap total Ripoff IMO
Old 01-21-2015, 08:15 PM
66racer
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Default SW Tour

Originally Posted by flatwater

After your stop in Amarillo then 110 miles west on I-40 to Tucumcari named for two Indian lovers Tucum and Cari originally was called Sixshooter Siding then changed. Lots of western history here, 30 painted murals ,[western and automobile related] on buildings Dels has best Mex. food in Southwest , take a few miles along old Route 66 and blow the soot out 66racer
Old 01-21-2015, 08:35 PM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

Heading in the same direction in mid February, thanks for the information.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:00 AM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Do not miss the Oklahoma City Memorial. The place is a breathtaking never forget experience. Murrah Building, I felt the blast from many miles away and the Memorial captures it all. The first heroes of the war on terrorism sprang from there.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:20 PM
wolfman64
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 181 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Silverbullet00
Do not miss the Oklahoma City Memorial. The place is a breathtaking never forget experience. Murrah Building, I felt the blast from many miles away and the Memorial captures it all. The first heroes of the war on terrorism sprang from there.
Absolute must see....Solemn...Breathtaking...Revere
Old 01-27-2015, 04:41 PM
CyberBullet
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Went to Meteor Crater and Winslow AZ myself. Enjoyed the trip. Cruised over there from Flagstaff. If you can get to Sedona, North of Tucson between Phoenix and Flagstaff, I highly recommend it. I have been there twice. Some nice driving and scenery. Plan to spend a day there if you can.

Get notified of new replies

To Planning trip through the Southwest

Old 02-01-2015, 09:38 AM
C4fan
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude '10

Tucsons Sonoran Desert Museum is very interesting also. It's more of a zoo but much more.

and another vote for the Oklahoma City Memorial.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:51 PM
flatwater
Instructor

Looking at AZ west of Flagstaff, two routes look interesting.

Route 10 out of Kingman to rejoin I-40 just east of Needles. And, Route 66 from Seligman to Kingman.

Any thoughts on those two?
Old 02-14-2015, 03:38 PM
gmtech1234
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Rt 10 goes through Oatman, cool old mining town. Wild but tame burros roam the street. This is the old rt66. Also rt66 Kingman to Seligman is good driving. Rt 179 off I 17 north to Sedona to 89A is a must do. Enjoy downtown Flagstaff, lots of shops,bars & food!

Quick Reply: Planning trip through the Southwest