Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

LS6 Valley swap going bad

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 08:02 PM
Spare Time Toy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS6 Valley swap going bad

This is turning into a PITA. I have hit a couple snags and need a little advice.
1. When I was wresteling the little hose off of the water crossovet tube I cracked that black plastic line that runs from the left valve cover area over to just above the water tube and goes in behind the throttle body. What is it and where can i get a replacement for a reasonable amount of money.

2. after I got the intake off and popped the knock sensor covers off i find the rear ones conector has disintegrated andit wasnt hooked up. Can I just get a new conector or do I need to spring for a full harness for one lousey conector?

3. This thing has been sucking oil for a long time I had oil residue to where all 8 intake runners are black. I have carefully cleaned them out with aceatone and lint free raggs as best I can. The intake has so much oil in it Im giong to spray about 5 cans of brake cleaner thru it. It has had enough oil build up it has ran out forward past the throttle butterfly and stained the throttle body. Any better ideas how to clean this mess out?

4. I did pull my cam position sensor and find it to be coated with oil above the O ring so I figure that is my smoking gun for the oil leak down the back of the engine. I stuck a new o ring on and put it back in. Gotta remember to hook it back up...

5. On my intake ports there is like a flashing at the edge of the opening . I have some fine prop files from work should I just go around the edge of the opening and take that off?

6. Please forgive the crappy cell phone photos
Attached Images     

Last edited by Spare Time Toy; 01-15-2015 at 08:13 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 01-15-2015, 09:03 PM
gotjuice?
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

The knock sensors and harness can be purchased anywhere. It is a common issue with them on all first gen ls engines.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:32 AM
Spare Time Toy
Pro

Ok I found a photo that shows the plastic line I broke. In this photo its in the lower left corner just above the mount for the front coil packs. Its got the white plastic lock rings on it. What the heck is it for? It goes to a line running to the back of the engine that has a little green screw on cap.
Attached Images  
Old 01-16-2015, 10:01 PM
CamminC5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18

That's emissions crap. It's a vent to the fuel tank. The motor pulls a vacuum and sucks the fumes from the tank.

You can program it out if you have HP tuners. I believe it's code P1441 (Evap Emission System Flow During Non-Purge).

Maybe you can get it to seal with electrical tape. I'd give you mine, but I trashed it.

Last edited by CamminC5; 01-16-2015 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:16 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by CamminC5
That's emissions crap. It's a vent to the fuel tank. The motor pulls a vacuum and sucks the fumes from the tank.

You can program it out if you have HP tuners. I believe it's code P1441 (Evap Emission System Flow During Non-Purge).

Maybe you can get it to seal with electrical tape. I'd give you mine, but I trashed it.
x2, I removed mine and capped off the port on the intake and the line at the firewall... just have your tuner remove the code and it also cleans up the clutter on the driver side fuel rail
Old 01-17-2015, 09:25 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

That hose can be replaced with fuel line if you are referring to the plastic hose with the 90 degree bend on the forward driver's side of the motor. It just fits on two nipples as I recall. I thought mine was leaking a few years ago and replaced mine. Turned out it wasn't leaking but that is how I found a fuel line will fit just fine.

Not sure if you have a catch can, but it might be worth the investment if you have that much oil getting into the intake.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:45 PM
Spare Time Toy
Pro

Latest set back. Open the box and new part is broken from crap job packing to ship. Vent tube is cracked at cover.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Spare Time Toy; 01-18-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:36 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

damn... I know how that goes, you wait a week to get a part and it is either damaged or completely wrong and then you have to wait another week to get a replacement... maybe you could just have the tube welded back on, that would save you the time of sending it back and getting another one
Old 01-18-2015, 04:55 PM
Spare Time Toy
Pro

Originally Posted by neutron82
damn... I know how that goes, you wait a week to get a part and it is either damaged or completely wrong and then you have to wait another week to get a replacement... maybe you could just have the tube welded back on, that would save you the time of sending it back and getting another one
I'm going to see what they say in the AM. If they will swap it out I may just jump a flight out if they will come to the airport to swap. Easy to do when you work for the airlines. It sucks though I could have been driving and enjoying this great convertible weather.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:58 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

mine is sitting on jackstands too... sucks cause the last 2 days have been super nice
Old 01-18-2015, 05:52 PM
danieloneil01
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who did you buy that from? Please tell me they didn't ship it exactly like that in the picture with nothing in there to protect the part?

Also save money on the multiple cans of brake cleaner and buy mineral spirits and let it soak in that. You don't need to spend a ton of money either but get a catch can before you start driving the car again. What did the plugs look like?
Old 01-18-2015, 06:24 PM
Spare Time Toy
Pro

Originally Posted by danieloneil01
Who did you buy that from? Please tell me they didn't ship it exactly like that in the picture with nothing in there to protect the part?

Also save money on the multiple cans of brake cleaner and buy mineral spirits and let it soak in that. You don't need to spend a ton of money either but get a catch can before you start driving the car again. What did the plugs look like?
I got it from Scrogins /Dickey in Lubbock they go by SDPC on here. Just a part in a box no packaging, bubble wrap, peanuts nothing. Got a extra special hook up for brake cleaner. I cleaned manifold and used Q tips soaked with acetone and cleaned out the ports on the heads. Have not changed or pulled the plugs yet. I plan on valve cover gaskets soon and will do the plugs then when I got the coil packs and wires out of the way.

Last edited by Spare Time Toy; 01-18-2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:40 AM
Spare Time Toy
Pro

Update, yesterday I got ahold of them at SDPC and have sent it back to them FedEx. Once they get it they will ship out a replacement. I am sure it will be packaged with some pading so it doesnt bang around and get messed up. So its all being done ground shipping I figure about a week before I try once more.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:28 PM
Spare Time Toy
Pro

Great service from the folks in Lubbock sent part out Monday afternoon and had the new one at the house at 10 AM today. Got home from work opened it up and set it in place. I already feel like I was ran over by a truck so I am holding off on finishing the install until this rain and cold weather moves out this weekend.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:14 PM
Spare Time Toy
Pro

Ok got almost everything back together. I'll finish it up in the AM push it outside and start it up and check for leaks. If none I'll take it for a spin if it leaks
Old 01-25-2015, 11:11 AM
2003RedVette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spare Time Toy
Ok got almost everything back together. I'll finish it up in the AM push it outside and start it up and check for leaks. If none I'll take it for a spin if it leaks
Just checking on ya. You have a good update report on this issue I hope?
Old 01-25-2015, 01:58 PM
Spare Time Toy
Pro

Originally Posted by 2003RedVette
Just checking on ya. You have a good update report on this issue I hope?
Well it's sort of a good news bad news thing. Got the valley swap done and the lines I messed up fixed. First start I had no throttle. Found a connector on the left of the throttle body some one forgot to hook up. Re connected it all was well ran good no water leaks. Went for a nice test drive came home and washed it and go for a final blow dry run and have a traction controll needs work message. Sits over night dries out no troubles this am. Driving home from church I hit a puddle and got the traction controll message again. So now I have a new project. Another thing I thought I fixed isn't fixed. My friggn oil leak is still leaking. While the intake was off I changed the O ring on the cam position sensor because the top of the engine was coated with oil so I figured that was it.

Get notified of new replies

To LS6 Valley swap going bad

Quick Reply: LS6 Valley swap going bad