Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

Anybody go racing in Central Texas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 02:51 AM
TheTinMan
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Anybody go racing in Central Texas?

I'll be going back to Fort Hood in April and so far from what i've seen most of the local Corvette groups are just car shows and Sunday drives. Anybody get out for HPDE/road racing events? I'm not into drag racing much anymore, got boring after a while. I've been doing Autocross here and been to Barber and Talladega a couple of times. Just looking for the fun group out that way.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:27 PM
Gearpuller
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

The Cen-Tex Corvette Club out of Waco does some auto crosses, though I am not a member have gone to watch a couple of times. They were doing it on the tar mac at TSTC if that has not changed.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:21 PM
bstedman
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default re: tracking in central Texas

check out thedriversedge.net. they run events in multiple places: COTA, Texas World Speedway (College Station), Houston MSR, and MSR Cresson (south of Fort Worth).

Originally Posted by TheTinMan
I'll be going back to Fort Hood in April and so far from what i've seen most of the local Corvette groups are just car shows and Sunday drives. Anybody get out for HPDE/road racing events? I'm not into drag racing much anymore, got boring after a while. I've been doing Autocross here and been to Barber and Talladega a couple of times. Just looking for the fun group out that way.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:17 AM
GS_DAN
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Lookup Harris Hill Road in San Marcos. Its a pretty nice track, no COTA but can usually get on much cheaper. TWS in College Station is unfortunately about to be torn down. Never got to race on it.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:44 PM
ysb02
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

If you find anything let me know! I want to get out before the 100F+ temps happen.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:22 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

TinMan: check out http://www.trackjunkies.org/ - great group of folks. Mostly DFW / Houston area but there are some Austin/San Marcos folks...and they run H2R. If you are ever up in the DFW area there is Eagles Canyon Raceway (ECR) and Motorsports Ranch Cresson (MSRC).
Old 02-19-2015, 08:29 PM
TheTinMan
Racer

I'd be willing to drive up to DFW for some weekend racing.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:41 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Next true racing event in the DFW area is at MSR Cresson on March 14 & 15, in addition to racing there is also HPDE / TT:
https://www.nasaproracing.com/events/2051

The next open track day at ECR is this Saturday, February 21:
http://eaglescanyon.com/ai1ec_event/...stance_id=1964
Old 02-19-2015, 10:44 PM
TheTinMan
Racer

I wont be there for March. Mid April at the earliest i'll be available. Next question is do you have to get a track license for these tracks or do they do open track days? I know Barber you have to go through their classes and get a license to run on your own, but Talladega just hosts open track days where you pay and anybody can run.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:17 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

No license requirement for ECR Open Track Days or track day events held at MSR (MSR is rented by groups such as Apex, The Drivers Edge, etc - you then pay them to run, they have good events)...they will start you in Green / with an instructor - if you are more advanced than that they will quickly move you up to a higher run group, solo, etc....unless you have a comp/racing license, etc...when in doubt, call/email them for clarification.

Hallett Motor Racing Circuit does have a school/licensing program from what I recall - for their track days - called High Speed Touring. I have yet to run there but will soon.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:50 PM
TheTinMan
Racer

I appreciate all the info. Look forward to running out there.

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody go racing in Central Texas?

Quick Reply: Anybody go racing in Central Texas?