Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

Driveway Austion May 16 Event

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 12:55 PM
racer778
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Driveway Austion May 16 Event

DRIVEWAY AUSTIN (Sorry didnt Proofread the Title) Moderator can you Correct the Title, Posting this FYI from the Camaro site. the Camaro guys got togerther to have a private Track day at Driveaway Austin and have invited us Vette folks. I am attending with my ZO6 and two other C7's. If youre interested let me know or register for the event. Also maybe we can meet and drive up there in a group. information below. this does conflict with the COTA event May 16/17 but decided a one day event was my best option for now. Hope to see you there. The Camaros have met the 10 person min to make it a private event.

Plan one:

MINIMUM 15 drivers - MAXIMUM 25 drivers

With a minimum of 15 drivers we will use the FULL CIRCUIT for all drivers!

There will be a mix of lead/follow as well as some laps done with a professional driver in the right seat coaching you. They are professionals, not just someone that's done a couple track days and thinks they can teach professionally. Generally speaking, sessions will be in 20 min blocks. This track is over 2 miles long and has it's own corkscrew like the one at Laguna Seca! You have to see this course to appreciate it. Awesome falls short by a long shot.

This is that course:

Description off of the Driveway Austin website:

Grand Prix Course

The Grand Prix Course is the ultimate experience at Driveway Austin. This is the full course with all of the dynamics rolled into a full experience lap. As an extension to the Short and Elevation Course, it adds the element of speed with a 2500’ straight away that emulates the winding straights of the Nurburgring in Germany and the “dogleg” experience from Imola in Italy. At the end of both straights, a prepared car can reach speeds in excess of 130 mph. This circuit is the training ground for mass momentum delay, vehicle degradation at high speeds and most importantly, “Driver Perception”.

In the event we only get about 10 people signed up........

For those of us which have already been to Driveway Austin and have our Foundations license, we will be set up to run the upper courses (Elevations & High Speed put together) while the new guys will be running the short course. Toward the end of the day, Bill indicated everyone will get the chance to run the full course. The way that would probably be worked out would be by running one group while the other is in class.

Both event types will have lunch provided.

Helmets are required to run the upper tracks (Elevations & High Speed) They have loaner helmets for free if you don't have your own.

CONVERTIBLES ARE OKAY TO BRING TO THE TRACK DAY!!

In order to make this a private day 10 people need to be paid in full no less than 30 days prior to the event. Since we are on the calender for May 16th, that means the deadline is April 16th. Day after tax day! Put that tax return to good use! LOL

The cost is: $400 Per Driver.

If you think about that, it works out to $50 bucks an hour for you to be on a track with a professional coach/driver.

Here's a link to the website to signup: http://www.drivewayaustin.com/events...hw_attendees=0

Either way, you will learn a lot about your car and yourself all while having a great time. We all had a great time on our first time out. There was plenty of driving and learning, no one felt short changed at all.

I also stopped in and talked to my Chevy dealer about them sponsoring this event. They seemed up beat about the idea and want me to get them an email with the details. I suggested bringing cars out for test drives too. Never know.... This is going to be great!

Something I think is worth reiterating is this is not going to be your typical rally cross type event, nor is it "open" track time. This is a structured event with professional race car drivers instructing you in the art of high speed racing. They will make you a better driver and the entire day will be a hoot!!

So, there is no comparison to another "track day" which "only" cost a couple hundred bucks. Those are not instructing you with professional drivers riding with you, classroom time, AND lead/follow laps.

Another big thing is after you finish this training day you will have earned your FULL TRACK LICENSE! It even has your picture on it. LOL That license allows you to come back on any day they have open track time and run OPEN TRACK TIME for cheap.

Upper Course (Short Track) practice sessions $25.00 for 20 minutes, or monthly unlimited sessions for $199.00

Full Grand Prix course practice sessions $100.00 for 30 minutes, or monthly unlimited for $399.00

I've done practice time and there's nothing cooler than getting out there when there's no one else on the track and doing your own thing.

People interested at this point: --Current Count: 21 -- (If you're not already on the list I'll still put you on there if you want. Remember, your only interested until you are PAID then you are a Driver/attendee.)

Last edited by racer778; 04-20-2015 at 12:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Driveway Austion May 16 Event