Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

21st Century Muscle Cars - Addison

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 01:57 PM
BlakeSS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 21st Century Muscle Cars - Addison

I've been out of the game for about 8 years (car wise) but I decided to call 21st to inquire about dyno days (whether or not they do them). Speed shops around Dallas used to host them all the time... but as the years have gone on most of the old shops have closed down. The performance market just isn't what it was and I understand that.

However, the answer I was given by the gentleman that answered the phone caught me by surprise... "no, we don't do dyno days. They cost us money and it's just not something we're interested in". Yes, I understand you could be working on customers' cars that day instead, but wasn't the whole point of dyno days "customer appreciation"?

I mean, what ever happened to the days of serving a few hot dogs and talking to a few friends? If you're worried about money you could always charge $10 per car or something, but being a Lingenfelter shop I don't think that's an issue.

I don't know... they just rubbed me the wrong way with that response. But then again I guess it's just a sign of the times.

Blake
Old 05-04-2015, 06:51 PM
Spare Time Toy
Pro

What's the one up in McKinney that had a synonym day not all that long ago.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:54 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I haven't heard of one around OKC in quite a while either now that you mention it.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:43 PM
Spare Time Toy
Pro

Just remembered the name. It's True Street Motorsports.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:09 PM
zdeckich
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 231 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year

I have nothing bad to say at all about 21st, they have done a lot of work for me on my C5Z and do great work and Matt is one hell of a tuner, that being said I get why they don't do dyno days like most shops don't do anymore. Just because it will cost them time and money. But call or ask SPEEDTEK in Haltom City to see if they still do dyno days. Or even SNL performance.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:12 PM
0Bailys Hyperformance
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would love to host a dyno day for everyone. I just got done with one for the dfw Mopar club.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:57 AM
21STCENTURYMUSCLECAR
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BlakeSS
I've been out of the game for about 8 years (car wise) but I decided to call 21st to inquire about dyno days (whether or not they do them). Speed shops around Dallas used to host them all the time... but as the years have gone on most of the old shops have closed down. The performance market just isn't what it was and I understand that.

However, the answer I was given by the gentleman that answered the phone caught me by surprise... "no, we don't do dyno days. They cost us money and it's just not something we're interested in". Yes, I understand you could be working on customers' cars that day instead, but wasn't the whole point of dyno days "customer appreciation"?

I mean, what ever happened to the days of serving a few hot dogs and talking to a few friends? If you're worried about money you could always charge $10 per car or something, but being a Lingenfelter shop I don't think that's an issue.

I don't know... they just rubbed me the wrong way with that response. But then again I guess it's just a sign of the times.

Blake
Sorry you feel that way but the employees do work 6 days a week and we have been in business for 14 years, with our work load we need all 6 days to try to keep up.

We did sponsor the Runway Rivalry 2 this weekend and are a major contributing sponsor of The Lone Star Corvette Classic at TMS May 15th-17th (most all proceeds for the event go to children's charity),
both of which cost us quite a bit of time and $$ to do. We have sponsored many Dyno Days in the past and I am sure we will do more at the appropriate time.

We do "appreciate" our customers very much and try and meet deadlines and exceed expectations for every customer's car.
I have many customers that come by and hang out regularly
but I feel that customer service and ultimately having the customers car completed in a professional and timely manner is most important.

Customers or potential customers are always welcome to come by for a shop tour and we always have snacks, sodas and beer on hand and on the house!

Best Regards,
John Page
21st Century Muscle Cars

Last edited by 21STCENTURYMUSCLECAR; 05-05-2015 at 08:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GeorgeR_Zed06 (10-31-2021)
Old 05-05-2015, 10:35 PM
zdeckich
Safety Car

2016 C5 of the Year

Originally Posted by 21STCENTURYMUSCLECAR
Sorry you feel that way but the employees do work 6 days a week and we have been in business for 14 years, with our work load we need all 6 days to try to keep up.

We did sponsor the Runway Rivalry 2 this weekend and are a major contributing sponsor of The Lone Star Corvette Classic at TMS May 15th-17th (most all proceeds for the event go to children's charity),
both of which cost us quite a bit of time and $$ to do. We have sponsored many Dyno Days in the past and I am sure we will do more at the appropriate time.

We do "appreciate" our customers very much and try and meet deadlines and exceed expectations for every customer's car.
but I feel that customer service and ultimately having the customers car completed in a professional and timely manner is most important.

Customers or potential customers are always welcome to come by for a shop tour and we always have snacks, sodas and beer on hand and on the house!

Best Regards,
John Page
21st Century Muscle Cars
Another reason why I keep coming back, need to talk to you soon John about some new cylinder heads
Old 05-06-2015, 10:32 AM
21STCENTURYMUSCLECAR

Originally Posted by zdeckich
Another reason why I keep coming back, need to talk to you soon John about some new cylinder heads
Let us know when you are ready, we usually have 2 sets of each type on the shelf.

Thanks for your biz!

Best Regards,
John Page
Old 05-06-2015, 01:27 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 142 Posts

Dyno days here in Houston are never free but normally reduced pricing. Some are smart enough to even generate friendly competition by offering awards/prizes for top #'s in various classes (e.g NA, FI, stock, etc).

Any shop that says they do it for customer appreciation is not being entirely forthcoming. Yes its a great way to give previous and potential customers the opportunity to receive a service at a discounted rate but the shops primary reason for doing it is to generate traffic to their shop and increase potential sales. Go to any dyno day and that shop operator will ALWAYS "volunteer" sample of other dyno results from other customer's cars to motivate you to make modifications.

"Her ya go, your car made 385hp to the rear wheel stock but look at this run where the same model with headers and a custom tune make 425hp to the rear wheel and with a nice linear torque/HP curve and flat A/F ratio.

How much you ask? Why we can knock that out for you for $1,500 ..."
Old 05-06-2015, 09:41 PM
Dugmole
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by BlakeSS

Blake
Blake,

I like a lot of others here I'm sure are confused by your post.

So your out of the "game" your words so out of the blue you pick one shop to call and then go on your self appointed tirade about what you feel should be a response etc...

Maybe you should take the proceeds from your parts sales here on the forum and invest in a shop and a dyno. Then you could instruct your staff to work the weekend for hot dog money.

Your intent to anyone with a brain is clear here, get lost.

Sincerely.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:29 PM
kjmj
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best Regards,
John Page
21st Century Muscle Cars

Classy response. Cool to see you also support a children's charity. We need to understand companies are in business to make money. If not, we would not be able to afford the "toys" we have. I like free stuff as much as anybody, but don't want to see a quality resource like this go away because they are missing customers due to events like dyno days. In the long run they will get better customer retention by servicing the customers they have in house. Word of mouth is very powerful, and their reputation in the metroplex speaks for volumes. Keep up the good work John. I just might stop by for that beer.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:24 AM
Mojo 97 Vett
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

I have driven multiple times to come see John from Lufkin Texas about a 4 hr one way trip! John is as stand up as they come and a hell of a cool car enthusiast. There shop does kick *** work.

21st century muscle cars for life

Old 05-11-2015, 02:46 PM
zdeckich
Safety Car

2016 C5 of the Year

Originally Posted by Mojo 97 Vett
I have driven multiple times to come see John from Lufkin Texas about a 4 hr one way trip! John is as stand up as they come and a hell of a cool car enthusiast. There shop does kick *** work.

21st century muscle cars for life

^^^ This!
Old 05-18-2015, 10:25 AM
Move Over
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best Regards,
John Page
21st Century Muscle Cars
You not only met but you also beat my expectations, John! My jet stream blue Grand Sport got broken in very nicely Sunday at TMS. Of course, as promised I was sporting your 21st Century t-shirt. Another gentleman noticed my shirt and asked if John or Matt did the work on my car. Good word gets around!

What's this about free beer? I didn't see that in the cooler

Cheers!
Mike
Old 05-18-2015, 05:41 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,192 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

True Street does dyno days once or twice a year, and Quality Motorsports did one last year. As John said most shops are buys enough already and dyno days really don't make much for a shop (might loose money), but I really don't see that as a big deal. John/21st dynoed my GS after I got it and charged a very reasonable price for 2 or 3 pulls and took time to let the car cool off in between and talk about my plans for the car. If I remember the last True Street and QMS dyno days, the cost per car was a lot more than $10/car, and wasn't that much less than what John charged me for a 1 on 1 dyno baseline.

BTW, there's still a lot of good shops in the DFW area:
21st
Quality Motorsports
True Street
LG Motorsports
and several others
Old 05-19-2015, 06:40 PM
21STCENTURYMUSCLECAR

Originally Posted by Move Over
You not only met but you also beat my expectations, John! My jet stream blue Grand Sport got broken in very nicely Sunday at TMS. Of course, as promised I was sporting your 21st Century t-shirt. Another gentleman noticed my shirt and asked if John or Matt did the work on my car. Good word gets around!

What's this about free beer? I didn't see that in the cooler

Cheers!
Mike
In the kitchen fridge!

We almost always have Coors Light, Bud Light and Dos XX
depending on who has been there

Let us know and we will make sure we are stocked up

Get notified of new replies

To 21st Century Muscle Cars - Addison

Old 05-20-2015, 12:27 PM
rsl2715
Burning Brakes

Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts

21ST Century is the best in town. John and Matt, the best.
10 year + with my cars 2000 C-5 ,2014 C-7 Z51.
R. Lewis
Old 06-11-2015, 07:44 PM
crtaylor59
Advanced

John is a good man, and he is always ready to help someone with a Corvette question, or to make their Corvette better.

John, thanks for everything you do!!!!!
Old 08-15-2015, 09:54 AM
Vetterthanyou2
Racer

Older thread, but John Ive been looking for a local shop for a cam/valvetrain/header setup on my(new to me) C6Z06. After a bit of research, you guys will definetly get the nod.

Quick Reply: 21st Century Muscle Cars - Addison