Got Under The Hood Today

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 06:17 PM
sxeC7
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'09-'10

Default Got Under The Hood Today

It turned out to be beautiful 70F Spring-like day here in Big D, so I finally got under the hood, other than checking fluids, etc.to install a K&N air filter.

I know there are probably better filters and C.A.I.s out there, but I've been using K&N filters for years (probably about 50) and wanted to stay stock looking until the warranty is up. I watched the You Tube vid and figured it would be relatively easy.

Well, I'd love to see a grease-monkey at the local Express Oil Change shop do a filter swap on a C7 with three different screw head types and two different sizes of the same head type and the need to wrestle the filter box out between the hood support, alternator, and a radiator water line.

What a PITA. What was GM thinking other than giving their Dealers a reason to charge labor hours. The C5 and C6 were a breeze compared to this.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:34 PM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by sxeC7
It turned out to be beautiful 70F Spring-like day here in Big D, so I finally got under the hood, other than checking fluids, etc.to install a K&N air filter.

I know there are probably better filters and C.A.I.s out there, but I've been using K&N filters for years (probably about 50) and wanted to stay stock looking until the warranty is up. I watched the You Tube vid and figured it would be relatively easy.

Well, I'd love to see a grease-monkey at the local Express Oil Change shop do a filter swap on a C7 with three different screw head types and two different sizes of the same head type and the need to wrestle the filter box out between the hood support, alternator, and a radiator water line.

What a PITA. What was GM thinking other than giving their Dealers a reason to charge labor hours. The C5 and C6 were a breeze compared to this.
I fully agree George, it is a PITA for sure. Not really difficult but just too labor intensive for a simple filter change. FWIW, I installed my K&N filter about 10 or so months ago and about 2 months ago I got a Check Engine light. I took it to Moritz and the computer printout showed all systems good but actually printed out that the aftermarket K&N filter could be the cause. To avoid any further CEL concerns I just reinstalled the stock filter. No more CEL's so I just assume it may have been the cause. YMMV!
Old 01-30-2016, 10:56 AM
sxeC7
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'09-'10

Originally Posted by Blue Demon
I fully agree George, it is a PITA for sure. Not really difficult but just too labor intensive for a simple filter change. FWIW, I installed my K&N filter about 10 or so months ago and about 2 months ago I got a Check Engine light. I took it to Moritz and the computer printout showed all systems good but actually printed out that the aftermarket K&N filter could be the cause. To avoid any further CEL concerns I just reinstalled the stock filter. No more CEL's so I just assume it may have been the cause. YMMV!

Thanks for the info Roy, I'll watch it for a CEL. Wonder if others have had the problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Got Under The Hood Today

Quick Reply: Got Under The Hood Today