Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

Tranny Help C5 Z06- Houston area shops?

Old 05-02-2016, 09:42 AM
mikeb64
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Tranny Help C5 Z06- Houston area shops?

i have a 2002 C5 Z06 (modded- cam, heads, fast 102) with about 41K on the clock, took it out this saturday eve and didn't make it too far from house.. car did not want to shift into 2nd, 3rd or 4th. Finally got car into gear, limped home and now to looking for a good shop to take and have T56 removed, rebuilt if possible.
Can anyone recommend a quality shop in the Houston area? If not able to rebuild, who can pick up a quality/strong replacement?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Mike
Old 05-02-2016, 03:48 PM
NotLawReview
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My transmission took a dump on me on my '04 Z06 last month and I took it to Frank's Vette's on Louetta up in Spring. I know this is a long way away from you, but Frank is great. He refuses to just rebuild trannies to original specs and instead has them built up to the equivalent of what you'd get from RPM transmissions; solid synchro keys, steel shifter forks, bronze fork pads, etc.

The price for all of that was 2500, including labor, which I found to be extremely reasonable, and it was turned around in a week.

Frank's is a great shop for sure, with a lot of knowledgeable techs, and I can't recommend him highly enough. Even more, one of the best tests of how honest a shop is relates to how they treat the car; I have a dashcam that is hidden very well and they treated the car beautifully.

-Pat

Edit: You might ask him about his "tow guy" that he works with as you might be able to get the car towed up to him given the state of it. When mine seized, I was downtown and my Geico roadside plan only provides for like 6 miles of towing, so they took it to Knapp Chevrolet. I assumed that a tow up to Frank would be expensive so I was going to get a quote from Knapp first, and they wouldn't even look at the car because I have LT headers and they didn't want to drop them as would be required to take care of the transmission. I talked to Frank, he gave me the number of his tow guy, and the guy picked it up from Knapp and took it to Franks, and there was no tow fee on my final bill.

Last edited by NotLawReview; 05-02-2016 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:00 AM
JBRUSS
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Circle D Transmissions on Hempstead or contact LMR on Little York and see who does there builds, each person has different experiences, but I can't say I was pleased with Frank's in price on work he did for me

Last edited by JBRUSS; 05-03-2016 at 12:03 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:20 AM
mikeb64
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Thanks for replies

I appreciate the replies. I will call Frank today as well as Circle D to see what they can offer.

Thanks again
Old 05-03-2016, 10:45 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

OP: Check out this shop, they are Outstanding!!!
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To Tranny Help C5 Z06- Houston area shops?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tranny Help C5 Z06- Houston area shops?