Lone Star Corvette Classic - Tips for New Attendees

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 12:14 AM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
Default Lone Star Corvette Classic - Tips for New Attendees

Just went for first time, wanted to help others in case you plan to attend in future.

Some of this is common sense maybe, still wanted to share my experience.

Do NOT wait to register for any events, they will sell out and close regs.

You will probably want to get a hotel near Texas Motor Speedway unless you live really close by. I drove 45 minutes and it was a pain driving to and from every day.

Day 1 was autocross, drivers ed, dinner and drive in movie. I'd suggest drivers ed if you plan on doing track event on day 3.

I just did the movie. I missed the dinner..they served earlier than scheduled. No big deal, Hard8 BBQ was close by and it was great with a live band playing! Evidently there was a car cruise after dinner I missed too.

The movie was shown on the big screen at the track.Show time starts when sun starts to set, no fixed time. Take some chairs and a cooler with snacks and drinks if you want. I forgot both...sitting in car was not as comfortable as I thought it would be.

Day 2, car show and another dinner. Again, I didn't take chairs! If you show your car, you're not allowed to move it till 3pm. People line up at 7am to set up. Take chairs, a good camera, and drinks and food/snacks. They do have concessions but expensive as to be expected. A few hours break till dinner at the hotel so you can wind down and chill for a bit. Again, hotel room would have been nice for this.

Day 3, track day! Very cool experience. 2 tracks, big oval and small road course.

Road course has mild group with controlled runs. Follow the leader, no passing, not too fast. Pretty fun. You will need a helmet. Bring your own, or you can get a loaner on site.

Then there is a wild group. All out on your own to rip loose. Unless you have experience at track events, be careful with this. You'll need good tires, good brakes, high temp brake fluid, and watch your tire temps. Do your research if you're considering doing this.

Big oval: Long wait times, you get maybe 3 or 4 laps and may not break 100mph. I did it just to check it off my list and went right back to road course.

All around really fun event! Lots of cool cars on Saturday. I counted 222 corvettes. Good times
Old 05-23-2016, 11:29 AM
silky1
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

What car where you in? I was in this one...
Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2016, 11:34 AM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '15

Saw you out there! Very nice car!! I was the slow base model that was giving passes all day

Old 05-23-2016, 12:30 PM
silky1
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

We saw you. My uncle and I where commenting on how good your car sounded, and he loved the supersonic blue. My previous car was a 2008 base car. The last session of the day I was right behind Lou in the LG Z06....for one lap.
The following 2 users liked this post by silky1:
BigMonkey73 (05-23-2016), jbclutch (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 02:08 PM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '15

Thanks man! Billy Boat exhaust. I think it's what gets me the most compliments.

I like the color too, but mostly because it seems to be one of the more rare colors. Personally, I'd prefer your blue vs my own. Love it!

Get notified of new replies

To Lone Star Corvette Classic - Tips for New Attendees

Quick Reply: Lone Star Corvette Classic - Tips for New Attendees