Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

Registering a car purchased out of state as an antique car confusion (Texas)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 09:16 AM
Corvette SSX
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Registering a car purchased out of state as an antique car confusion (Texas)

I recently purchased a 1982 Corvette from out of state. The DMV website states that the car must pass inspection before it can be registered. However, I will be putting antique plates on the car which does not require an inspection.

I've called the DMV and never get anyone to answer the phone and I've searched the internet and can't find a definitive answer to my question: does the car actually have to be inspected before registering as an antique vehicle?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:39 AM
98Pace
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Corvette SSX
I recently purchased a 1982 Corvette from out of state. The DMV website states that the car must pass inspection before it can be registered. However, I will be putting antique plates on the car which does not require an inspection.

I've called the DMV and never get anyone to answer the phone and I've searched the internet and can't find a definitive answer to my question: does the car actually have to be inspected before registering as an antique vehicle?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Pretty sure you have to pass a single inspection to register the car in Texas, but after that you are clear as long as you keep the antique plates.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:52 AM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

I had a buddy who had antique plates on his car several years ago, but don't recall him having to have the car inspected. It even states on the DMV website that antique cars are exempt from inspection, but does say annually:

https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/uniqueVeh.htm#

If anything you might need a safety inspection.

From my understanding you would need to fill out form VTR-54:

http://www.txdmv.gov/txdmv-forms/cat...-or-street-rod

From there take the form and title to your local DMV and pay the title transfer fees and you should be good to go. If the title is dated you will need to do this process quickly otherwise the DMV will charge you after a certain amount of days, I believe it is 10 days.

If it's not dated then you will need to "contact the previous owner" and have them date the title for you. (Please note quotation marks)

Last edited by Not4spd; 11-06-2016 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-06-2016, 12:16 PM
Floridasky
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 287 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I moved to Texas from Florida a few years. I brought four cars with me. All had to have an inspection which was completed at any inspection location. There is a specific form you will need them to complete which will verify the VIN. With the inspections completed and forms in hand you go to the DMV and tell them you want the antique plate. One of my cars was a 1964 Studebaker Avanti R2 Paxton equipped. At the inspection station they were so excited about looking at the car they just completed the form and nothing else.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:00 AM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 142 Posts

I have multiple vehicles registered as Antique and Classic

All vehicles brought in out of state require a green form inspection before they can be registered for ANY plate in Texas.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:00 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

I registered my car as an antique (at least I think) but I found a 1972 license plate on ebay and I am using it. I had to have the car inspected before I could register it.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:03 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

Bringing a car into Texas, the inspection station will give you a form, stating the vin on the title is correct for the car. You need that before the state will will issue you plates and a title

Get notified of new replies

To Registering a car purchased out of state as an antique car confusion (Texas)

Quick Reply: Registering a car purchased out of state as an antique car confusion (Texas)