Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

Tuning my C7? -- AZ residents-suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 12:58 PM
OoVetteoO
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tuning my C7? -- AZ residents-suggestions?

Hello All!

So quick run through of my story so hopefully some of y'all can assist in some sort of way. Bought my 2016 corvette c7 base and wanted to slowly upgrade her as I was going.

First on the list was a new exhaust, so I purchased the Billy Boat Fusion and had them install valves with it to mimic the NPP option (was it the best idea? No, not worth it at all..). Car was great, louder than stock and I enjoyed it.

Decided it wasn't enough so i figured id take the next step and eliminate the secondary cats so I ordered a Corsa catless x-pipe and had it installed. She sounded better than ever and I loved it!

Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago, I decided it wasn't enough again and wanted to go more. Did some research (and for some reason that I am not aware of currently) I decided to order some ARH mid-length catted headers. Figured this way I wouldn't need to deal with a tune and it would be easier. Had the headers installed over at my dealership and there was a small hiccup with the wrong connector pipe being sent but ARH handled it immediately and I was pleased.

Got the headers installed properly, however the one thing that isn't supposed to happen with mid-lengths are no CEL's. To my surprise, I got a CEL. Dealer ran the code to see that it said "insufficient cats" (sorry I dont have the exact code but can get it if needed). Dealer said its no biggie, but if I want it gone I would need to get it tuned. At this point, I start thinking I should have just gone long tube if I was going to end up tuning anyway.. Either way, my dealer is quite the guy (corvette enthusiast and owner of a C6 Z06) and gave me a contact he had for tuning.

I reached out to the gentleman, and he told me he can squeeze me into his schedule soon but warned me right off the bat that my warranty will be voided. I expressed to him that I thought tunes like Diablo are reversible and leave no trace at all. He told me that the only benefit with diablo is that they "claim they are not detectable" and says that who knows if its true or not. Ive heard from some people in my circles that there are ghost tunes that even if remained on the computer, the dealer cant identify.

So the questions I am running up on:
-Is the tuner maybe on the lower end of tuners and thats why he guarantees it voids?
-Is that even remotely true of the ghost tunes? Anything like that out there?
-Anyone in the Phx area have any strongly recommended people to tune?
-Is it possible that the cats in the headers aren't functioning right and that is why I have a CEL?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Please let me know if I should clarify anything as well. Trying to get this handled ASAP.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:01 PM
Translator
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

From what I hear, Nic D is the best tuner in Arizona.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:33 PM
eric03l
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Cordes in Mesa is a good shop, but if youre worried about warranty, my best advice is leave the car stock.
Old 11-10-2016, 03:25 PM
Cordes Performance Racing
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,227 Likes on 774 Posts

Originally Posted by Translator
From what I hear, Nic D is the best tuner in Arizona.
He is our tuner

Originally Posted by eric03l
Cordes in Mesa is a good shop, but if youre worried about warranty, my best advice is leave the car stock.
Thank you, no one in the state has more C7 experience than us hands down.
www.facebook.com/cordesperformanceracing.com
joe@cordesperformanceracing.com
480-359-5914

Old 11-11-2016, 12:03 PM
bringe
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Cordes in AZ Nick D your number 1 shop in my book.

Drove from Wisconsin to see his shop and I give him a 10. Joe is the man that ownes the shop . 2000 miles for me.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:49 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Nic D is the ONLY person in this state that should be touching C7 tunes.

Yes, modifying your cars tune can cause denial of powertrain repairs.

Get notified of new replies

To Tuning my C7? -- AZ residents-suggestions?

Quick Reply: Tuning my C7? -- AZ residents-suggestions?