Considering a move to Phoenix

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 12:20 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Considering a move to Phoenix

I'm considering a move from Seattle to Phoenix for retirement. Are there any Corvette clubs in the Phoenix area that participate in hpde events?

Here in Seattle there are none so I participate with the local Porsche club and organizations not affiliated with club membership and looking for anything similar in the Phoenix area.

I'm somewhat familiar with the Bondurant facility, I wanted to sign up for their driving school until they went with Vipers. So Wild Horse Pass and Arizona Motorsports Park - which reminds me, is an NPP exhaust able to pass the sound test at AMP?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 11-16-2016, 02:53 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,030 Likes on 670 Posts

Default Arizona Corvette Enthusiasts - ACE

Mike,

There is a large group, that doesn't consider themselves to be a club, called Arizona Corvette Enthusiasts. You might want to check with them.

http://www.arizonacorvetteenthusiast...ex.php?act=idx

Mike T - Prescott AZ
Old 11-16-2016, 02:54 PM
UNKNOWN
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

leave any liberal views behind you or you will be run out of town or hung
Old 11-17-2016, 11:32 AM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

LOL, I'm trapped in a blue state looking to escape!

Thanks for the tip on ACE.

Last edited by mikeCsix; 11-17-2016 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:46 PM
UNKNOWN
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by mikecsix
lol, i'm trapped in a blue state looking to escape!

Thanks for the tip on ace.
hurry before the zombies suck the blood out of you
Old 11-19-2016, 11:53 PM
Naaman
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
LOL, I'm trapped in a blue state looking to escape!

Thanks for the tip on ACE.

I spent 5 years up at Ft. Lewis. I stayed away from Seattle as much as possible, though, I will say that WA state in general is a far, far cry from the far end of the liberal spectrum that is California (where I'm originally from).

After getting out of the military, I thought, "why not make a totally fresh start," and settled on Arizona as my new home. I haven't looked back. Absolutely love it here. If I were at my retirement age, I'd be looking at areas along the outskirts of Phoenix/Maricopa Co. Such as Prescott or Wickenburg. Anthem or Care Free will get you a little closer to "the city" but all those places are great for taking scenic/curvy drives. Depending on your financial wherewithal, Paradise Valley (essentially what I consider the "Malibu of Arizona") is really nice place (I'd choose that over Scottsdale, which I tend to think of as the "Beverly Hills" of Arizona).
Old 11-21-2016, 01:07 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Naaman
I spent 5 years up at Ft. Lewis. I stayed away from Seattle as much as possible, though, I will say that WA state in general is a far, far cry from the far end of the liberal spectrum that is California (where I'm originally from).

After getting out of the military, I thought, "why not make a totally fresh start," and settled on Arizona as my new home. I haven't looked back. Absolutely love it here. If I were at my retirement age, I'd be looking at areas along the outskirts of Phoenix/Maricopa Co. Such as Prescott or Wickenburg. Anthem or Care Free will get you a little closer to "the city" but all those places are great for taking scenic/curvy drives. Depending on your financial wherewithal, Paradise Valley (essentially what I consider the "Malibu of Arizona") is really nice place (I'd choose that over Scottsdale, which I tend to think of as the "Beverly Hills" of Arizona).

Thanks for the reply Naaman, we are looking in the Surprise area. I checked Paradise Valley on your suggestion, we want to have some money left over to be able to travel and do the things we want.
Paradise looks to be a beautiful area though! We've had the big house in Washington state and are done with it. Something a bit smaller and less maintenance and will allow us to maintain a condo in Washington so we can be near our kids during the summer months when they are most active is the balance we are trying to strike.

I'll bet 5 years at Ft. Lewis must have seemed a lifetime with the long grey winters up here, especially for a young guy. I spent my Air Force years in Sacramento back in the mid '70's and enjoyed it. Had a '67 Corvette Convertible at the time and couldn't get enough of driving throughout the state. Not being politically aware helped, but back then the state wasn't as liberal as it is now. Unfortunately, the State of Washington is doing its level best to catch up, with 3 to 4 counties setting the agenda for the rest of the state.

Thanks again for the input.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:58 AM
Naaman
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I hear ya: Paradise Valley/Scottsdale is certainly "high rent."

I didn't mind the weather so much in WA, other than that the roads were constantly wet, so I couldn't enjoy my car as often as I'd have liked.

And I agree: California has some incredible scenery and there's just no end to the driveable roads. Though, Arizona has some great areas as well. The desert mountains have a rich beauty all their own.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:34 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet65te
Mike,

There is a large group, that doesn't consider themselves to be a club, called Arizona Corvette Enthusiasts. You might want to check with them.

http://www.arizonacorvetteenthusiast...ex.php?act=idx

Mike T - Prescott AZ
Great bunch. They meet for lunch every Tuesday at 1:00 at Big or is it Great Bear on Bell road. There is a couple of NCCC clubs that "race". I'm a snowbird visiting during the winter and love the car scene out there. Every weekend is filled with things to do.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:08 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,364 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
Thanks for the reply Naaman, we are looking in the Surprise area. I checked Paradise Valley on your suggestion, we want to have some money left over to be able to travel and do the things we want.
Paradise looks to be a beautiful area though! We've had the big house in Washington state and are done with it. Something a bit smaller and less maintenance and will allow us to maintain a condo in Washington so we can be near our kids during the summer months when they are most active is the balance we are trying to strike.

I'll bet 5 years at Ft. Lewis must have seemed a lifetime with the long grey winters up here, especially for a young guy. I spent my Air Force years in Sacramento back in the mid '70's and enjoyed it. Had a '67 Corvette Convertible at the time and couldn't get enough of driving throughout the state. Not being politically aware helped, but back then the state wasn't as liberal as it is now. Unfortunately, the State of Washington is doing its level best to catch up, with 3 to 4 counties setting the agenda for the rest of the state.

Thanks again for the input.
My wife and I had a home in Surprise, more a snowbird home as we were living more FT in the Denver area. When we moved to AZ FT we sold surprise and bought in far far N Scottsdale. At the border of Carefree. I love it for driving the Vette. Much more open spaces, open roads. Less "retirement" bottlenecks. Less retirement drivers.

That drove us crazy in Surprise as it is densely populated and REALLY REALLY close to Sun City West and Sun City Grand where the AVERAGE age is 75!! You should see how they drive on Grand Ave or Bell. How about 25 in a 45?

Paradise Valley is nice, but too city bound for me. Some great dinner places to go though. Try El Charro when you get settled down.

Last edited by BlindSpot; 12-03-2016 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:32 AM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
My wife and I had a home in Surprise, more a snowbird home as we were living more FT in the Denver area. When we moved to AZ FT we sold surprise and bought in far far N Scottsdale. At the border of Carefree. I love it for driving the Vette. Much more open spaces, open roads. Less "retirement" bottlenecks. Less retirement drivers.

That drove us crazy in Surprise as it is densely populated and REALLY REALLY close to Sun City West and Sun City Grand where the AVERAGE age is 75!! You should see how they drive on Grand Ave or Bell. How about 25 in a 45?

Paradise Valley is nice, but too city bound for me. Some great dinner places to go though. Try El Charro when you get settled down.
I've been behind those drivers! They can make you a little crazy at times! What you site about Sun City is exactly why we are not looking there, even though the pricing is reasonable. We haven't made any commitments yet, we are still researching the area.

One interesting place to eat is Campbells, I think its close to Peoria. We are headed back to the area next weekend to look some more.

Thank you for the tips!

Get notified of new replies

To Considering a move to Phoenix

Quick Reply: Considering a move to Phoenix