Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Keen parts-- poor quality

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 11:20 PM
trokita
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keen parts-- poor quality

when setting out to restore the c3, I met Keen parts at a swap meet. I decided that i would use one vendor as much as I could for my parts needs, so as to establish a relationship. I guess I have bought around $3000 or so in parts from Keen alone.

I would guess I have had to return half the stuff at least once, sometimes multiple times. The latest and last straw was today when I went for a drive and noticed the new quartz clock already stopped working. Its about a year old.

Its bad enough when you get a Chinese-quality part and have to ship it back and negotiate the shipping fee ( always a necessity with Keen), but when the part is already installed and it goes bad, its alot worse. This also happened with a defective fuel sender unit that had a badly stamped rivet on it, so that about a week after installation it leaked a tank of fuel all over my garage when I happened to be gone, with the wife home alone. Then there was the retro radio I had installed but it didnt work...

I also remember I had to send door sills back twice because the finish was so shoddy. I shouldnt have to tell any restorer or vendor how important high vis parts like door sills are to a restoration.

the mold that was used for the new carpet on the right side must have been wrong or worn, because it didnt fit the well. We had to use multiple layers of extra padding to make it work, and just on the right side or.... send it back, but who knows if the new one would be any different. And if you do, again, dont forget to beg for a shipping reimbursement...

the foam they sent to go with the leather seat covers I bought was way off, even after trimming--- another problem with whatever mold they or their supplier was using.

I could keep going....

the point is All our time is short, not to mention how important it is to keep our spouses happy as we do the project.

Keen makes the whole restore process frustrating. Very little concern for quality control, or who they get their parts from apparently.

some might say: hey, that's the classic parts business. Hard to get good quality stuff. But two of the fellas giving me a hand own their own parts supply business ( different make and model). They confirmed that my expectations should be alot higher... and again, they are not in any competition with Keen, just know the industry, albeit in a different segment.

My suggestion, besides avoiding Keen, is to test a few general parts vendors early, and then maybe pick the one to be loyal too.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:48 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

Bad to hear crap like this from anyone man. I always get my stuff from willcox on the c2 has always taken care of me on stuff. You will not go wrong with Willcox in here also a vendor. Robert
Old 10-28-2013, 11:54 AM
RestoMike
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I won't debate trokita's comments made regarding his parts purchase with Keen Parts. What I will offer is if you do restorations long enough reproduction quality and fitment will come into play. I've purchased parts from mulitple suppliers over the years and quite honestly they all have pretty much the same stuff with a few exceptions. In dealing with "vendors" Keen included have received parts of (again) suspect quality and fitment. This will happen NO matter who you deal with Keen, Willcox, CC or Paragon (to name a few)....it makes no difference. Reproduction parts no matter whom you purchase from will only be of a certain quality and that folks is just the way it is. Stuff from 'back in the day' was of better quality and most of the time better fitment......again, that was back in the day. This is the way it works now days. What I've seen working with Keen over the years is consistancy in the parts they sell most being a good reproduction (keep in mind, it's a reproduction, not original) however when that certain item has not met my expectation is a no hassle return whether they pay for return or myself. Be advised situations differ on returns.

In closing know that reproduction will not always have fitment and quality of original. Reproduction most likely will not wear like original and again, that's the way it is no matter who you buy from. This by no means is a endorsement for Keens nor a defense. I can state my experiences working with Tom Keen and his crew have been much more positive than what has written in prior post. Have a great day. Thanks.

Last edited by RestoMike; 10-28-2013 at 07:43 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Keen parts-- poor quality

Quick Reply: Keen parts-- poor quality