Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

sbc 461x corvette heads ready to bolt on- Unresolved Dispute

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 09:30 PM
garay77n84
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sbc 461x corvette heads ready to bolt on- Unresolved Dispute

Sold.sold

Last edited by garay77n84; 08-19-2014 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:27 PM
garay77n84
Racer

Casting date on both heads is k172
Old 08-19-2014, 09:01 AM
Ferrolanoman
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

which translates as November 17, 1962? I have a block date of "L 11 2". Would they be considered correct?
Old 08-19-2014, 09:36 AM
garay77n84
Racer

Originally Posted by Ferrolanoman
which translates as November 17, 1962? I have a block date of "L 11 2". Would they be considered correct?
Yes..I believe so..a few days apart
Old 08-19-2014, 09:47 AM
Ferrolanoman
Instructor

sorry, I forgot to add that my L 11 2 block date code translates as December 11, 1962. I'm in Longmont CO 80504, where are you? Thinking shipping, can it be done thru UPS considering the weight? It would probably be best to do each head separately.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:58 AM
Ferrolanoman
Instructor

can you please send me pics of the underside (valves and chambers) to my email <landeira@colorado.edu>?
Old 08-19-2014, 10:33 AM
garay77n84
Racer

Originally Posted by Ferrolanoman
can you please send me pics of the underside (valves and chambers) to my email <landeira@colorado.edu>?
Yes sir...if you call me I can send them to your cell
979 318 1126..if not it will be around 3
Old 08-19-2014, 11:36 AM
Ferrolanoman
Instructor

Left you a voice mail. I'm a dinosaur, no smart phone, you'll just have to email 'em--if you would, please.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:59 PM
garay77n84
Racer

What would yall.do in this situation..never had a problem on here..i am not a business..just a person selling some corvette parts

I sold these heads as is ..This person is claiming I miss represented them..the pkg is fully insured ..they are calling me a liar...i sent full pics before he bought them..i told him to file a claim..i do not need this..i do not need to be called a liar..i was going to work with him but he called me a liar..
There was problems in transit..i sent him a tracking number and an insurance number...clearly shows the heads and he said they look fine and he would take them.didnt hide anything ...

Last edited by garay77n84; 08-31-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:47 AM
Ferrolanoman
Instructor

Dear fellow Corvette enthusiasts,
It was not my idea, nor did I begin, this public he said/he said, but I have to respond to what IMHO is an unfair account of a deal gone wrong.
Briefly, then, I responded to the for sale ad here for a set of heads for my SWC. I asked for more pics, and they were sent and posted though none were close ups of the damaged areas. As a consequence I asked during a phone call if there was any damage. I was assured the heads were in excellent condition with no damage and ready to bolt on. Buying long distance is chancy, I know, but buying from a fellow enthusiast is supposed to be less of a risk, so trusting the seller and believing that the heads were indeed healthy, I said I would buy them at his full asking price (plus I agreed to split the shipping, total $600). Only upon arrival I discovered that one head had a broken boss and the second one had two broken bosses below the spark plug holes. Because I'm well aware that these are not uncommon breaks I had specifically asked if they were whole there, the answer was an unequivocal yes. The pics that I took show this was a clear misrepresentation of the condition. The heads are being shipped back to the seller since I cannot use them and I doubt if anybody will either.
Again, I apologize to all for airing this bit of dirty laundry in public, but I have to respond. Prior to doing so, I tried to come to an understanding with the seller only to be rebuffed with a "sold as is response." Had I known that such weasel words would be used against me, I of course would have run away from the deal. I may have lost my $600 but, I sincerely, believe that he and, in turn, our fellow forum members, have lost a lot more than that: trust, integrity, honesty and one man's good word to another. It will be a long time before I take a chance on another item for sale. Sad day.
Attached Images    
Old 08-31-2014, 12:52 PM
Fat Mike
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 730 Likes on 610 Posts

In person, does it appear the fractured area of the bosses have paint on them? It's a bit difficult to tell by the photos but it looks like there's also paint where the head bolt would contact the boss vs. there is not paint on the undamaged bosses.

Was there damage to the shipping box(es)? Were the fractured pieces in the box?

Good luck to both of you guys to get this sorted out. I would like to think that if I had sold the heads, I would take them back and file the claim with the shipping company.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:01 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,323 Likes on 2,772 Posts

Moving to Transaction Feedback section
Old 08-31-2014, 01:11 PM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by garay77n84
What would yall.do in this situation..never had a problem on here..i am not a business..just a person selling some corvette parts

I sold these heads as is ..This person is claiming I miss represented them..the pkg is fully insured ..they are calling me a liar...i sent full pics before he bought them..i told him to file a claim..i do not need this..i do not need to be called a liar..i was going to work with him but he called me a liar..
There was problems in transit..i sent him a tracking number and an insurance number...clearly shows the heads and he said they look fine and he would take them.didnt hide anything ...

DID YOU MISREPRESENT THEM TO THE BUYER, you know the answer to that question. If so take them back and split the shipping and call it done.

I would be upset also if someone sent me a set of heads that looked like that.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:28 PM
garay77n84
Racer

Originally Posted by tbarb
DID YOU MISREPRESENT THEM TO THE BUYER, you know the answer to that question. If so take them back and split the shipping and call it done.

I would be upset also if someone sent me a set of heads that looked like that.
I sent him pics as above you can clearly see what he bought..i
sent tons of pics to him .
he verified and said I seen all the pics and I will take the heads

Last edited by garay77n84; 08-31-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:44 PM
Jimmy L. Blakely
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

if the seller said there were no broken bosses when you specifically asked him and there were 3 when you received them he should refund your money and apologize for the misunderstanding and inconvenience, period.

Jimmy L. Blakely
Old 08-31-2014, 06:36 PM
Ferrolanoman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fat Mike
In person, does it appear the fractured area of the bosses have paint on them? It's a bit difficult to tell by the photos but it looks like there's also paint where the head bolt would contact the boss vs. there is not paint on the undamaged bosses.

Was there damage to the shipping box(es)? Were the fractured pieces in the box?

Good luck to both of you guys to get this sorted out. I would like to think that if I had sold the heads, I would take them back and file the claim with the shipping company.
Mike,
The original photos to me were even less clear but to answer your questions: 1) yes, they had been painted over when I got them, 2) there was absolutely no damage whatsoever to the shipping boxes, and 3) there were no pieces or debris of any kind in the packages. In my opinion, the bosses have been broken for a long time. What I simply cannot understand is how anyone can use these heads. How do install them, what kind of fasteners are used in the deep broken holes and, most importantly, how does one torque them correctly? Not only to me, but to anyone else, these heads are nothing but door stops.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:24 AM
1968swbbigblock
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 162 Posts

The seller should disclose known damage in his ad, anything less feels sleazy.
The heads have been painted to hide the damage
Refund the money I know it hurts but it's the morally high road
Old 09-03-2014, 06:32 PM
Ferrolanoman
Instructor

Having been burned this badly, I can't imagine buying anything else big--like these heads--long distance where one basically is at the mercy of the seller's ethics. From now on my inclination will be to look for stuff locally, on Craigslist, machine shops, swap meets, private sellers or old time Corvette repair shops.
Just hope that given this revelation, others will be more careful and less eager to send a cashier's check without a second thought, trusting a fellow poster on our FORUM. Who would have thought?
Old 09-04-2014, 11:54 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,323 Likes on 2,772 Posts

There does not appear to be any additional information about a resolution pending that is to be added to this thread by the seller.

As of now, the thread is just a place where third parties not involved continue to make posts which are not directly relevant to the sale. Some may be removed.

This sale and others are being reviewed and if further developments arise, they will be posted as an update to this thread.

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 09-04-2014 at 11:58 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To sbc 461x corvette heads ready to bolt on- Unresolved Dispute

Quick Reply: sbc 461x corvette heads ready to bolt on- Unresolved Dispute