Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

BEWARE!!! Dealer Damaged my Vette

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 08:00 PM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

I had a dealer drag mine up onto a lift and scrape the underside of my front bumper in several places. My only problem was, I didn't notice it for several months and I had had it to two different dealers. So I never knew which it was.

At least your dealer was honest about it.

I was at a Chevy dealer last week picking up my Impala and I was waiting in the entrance area while they were making up my bill and bringing my car out from the back lot. All of a sudden there was a big crash and one of the attendants was pulling a car out of the check in area and pulling it around back to the repair area and he ripped the passenger side mirror off of the car and scraped the passenger door really bad. Fortunately it was an old Buick and not a new car.

Last edited by Jimmy W1; 04-29-2016 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:12 PM
12centenial
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will never go to Stingray Chevy, when I was looking to buy my corvette I went to their dealership first to buy the Centennial edition and was treated horribly. I ended up purchasing from Dimmitt Chevy in clearwater....with more options and was treated amazing.

Sorry about Stingray damaging your vette...

Last edited by 12centenial; 04-29-2016 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:07 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by wayback
I dont care how good you think your painters are it will not be as durable as the factory paint.

Diminished value applies to the value of the car WHEN IT IS SOLD, not some date you set.
well said. So long as there is a record of the damage, there is diminished value. Since it's not structural and painted correctly it might not be a huge amount (but it could be). It's a loss and should be paid to to the victim.

DV can be computed by a formula (see wiki).

No, I would not go there for vehicle service. No excuse for this.

Last edited by LowRyter; 04-29-2016 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:24 PM
Red Devil
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by J@stingraychevy
Unfortunately the rear fascia of this vehicle was scratched while it was in the possession of Stingray Chevrolet (see pics). We contacted the customer to let him know and apologized. We provided a loaner vehicle while the car was repaired and will warranty the repair for as long as he owns the car. Our Body Shop repairs over 300 vehicles each month including high end exotic vehicles, specifically a Lamborghini and Ferrari that were repaired here last month. We have some of the best painters in the business.

The following is a quote from BLKC6; BBB Complaint #67336094 - "Compared to another Corvette with the same options and no repair work performed, my vehicle will not resell for it's full estimated bluebook value of $35,000 due to the repair work now present which has to be disclosed to any potential buyers of the vehicle."

Actually, Stingray Chevrolet will purchase this car for $36,000 if it is still in the condition it was when it left our Body Shop last week. This is $1,000 more than BLKC6 said is full estimated bluebook value. We will purchase the car OR take it in on trade for $36,000. This clearly establishes that there is no loss of value, and therefore no diminution of value is necessary. We will honor this price even if he decides to trade the vehicle in at another dealer and they sell it to us. Because book value changes every month this offer is good through the end of May 2016 as long as the odometer is within 5,000 miles of when it was at Stingray last.

Let's talk about how your dealership ended up in this postion...... Not sure who you have working at your dealership but common sense would tell most if not all people working in the service industry that you wouldn't use something that is used to move a truck on any car where it may cause damage. I'm sorry but there is no excuse especially when it was avoidable as in this case

Last edited by Red Devil; 04-29-2016 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:31 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Well my 2 cents, since as the OP stated the car is in pristine condition always garaged so no fading of the paint, matching the paint on a black car that is basically new would be a very simple job. The OP new the paint would not match before he even saw it so of course the paint did not match. This is a simple job on a basic corvette there will be no loss of value, it's not a vintage collector car. It seems to me the dealer stepped up and tried to make it right. The OP said the car was worth 35k and the dealer will pay 36k no loss of value. In two or three years if the OP goes to sell the car no one will care about a minor repair job like this.

Last edited by okie08vette; 04-29-2016 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:17 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 382 Posts

Sell it (or trade in to C7)...measure monetary damages...small claims collect.

Yes agree with # 25, solid black paint, garaged, really should match....orange peel and polishing/ washing scratches could be an issue.

Is there more to the story?

However disagree, repainted car, I for one would not purchase unless at a substantially and I mean substantially reduce price.

Good luck.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:19 AM
jwrichter
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Stingray Chevrolet is so proud of the work that our body shop does that we take a brand new $100k+ Z06 and paint them exciting colors that GM doesn't offer. We painted the Stingray that we gave away at the Strawberry Festival this year in a red candy metallic by House of Colors, we painted a Stingray in a Fuchsia for a customer, and painted a Z06 in a Lamborghini color "Verde Ithaca, and several others. These cars were painted with care and you would have a very hard time finding a flaw in it. We know what we are doing, that's why we repair Corvettes after collisions from all across the state, some $30,000+ in repairs.

Repairing a few scratches on a rear fascia of a black vehicle is something we can take care of quite well.

If you can handle it "quite well" then why in the he** wasn't it done "QUITE WELL" in the friggin first place.. It really is idiots like YOU who prove there is no longer customer service, only incompetents that will tell you how it's not really their responsibility. This info will go out to all the Vette car clubs in Florida, I wouldn't let you work on my lawnmower.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:27 AM
05 Wreck
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

This is not rocket science. Any reputable b/s would have backed the car out into the daylight. If the paint was not a match (for the standards of one of the most expensive vehicle sold at the dealership) the vette should have been rolled back in the b/s and the paint blown (blended) onto the rear quarters.
I have done this numerous times on solid colors....in my GARAGE.
My 05 had to have the entire nose painted in machine silver. This was above my skill level in metallics so I had a local professional shop do the work. My paint is seamless at the door gaps using the blending technique.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:38 PM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Stingray Chevrolet is so proud of the work that our body shop does that we take a brand new $100k+ Z06 and paint them exciting colors that GM doesn't offer. We painted the Stingray that we gave away at the Strawberry Festival this year in a red candy metallic by House of Colors, we painted a Stingray in a Fuchsia for a customer, and painted a Z06 in a Lamborghini color "Verde Ithaca, and several others. These cars were painted with care and you would have a very hard time finding a flaw in it. We know what we are doing, that's why we repair Corvettes after collisions from all across the state, some $30,000+ in repairs.

Repairing a few scratches on a rear fascia of a black vehicle is something we can take care of quite well.

:

Old 04-30-2016, 04:35 PM
KRKP
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The OP wasn't interested in selling his car, nor does it read as though he is now. The sales estimates used in this discussion by both the OP and the dealership involved, therefore, don't really represent a remedy.

Unless someone's position has changed, I would suggest that the dealership repair the car to the OP's satisfaction - and - compensate him in some agreeable fashion for the potential diminution of value in a future sale.

There are no hard/fast predictions of future value. This is a compromise situation no matter what anyone might like to claim. There is possibly a good recovery available here as well (if the rhetoric takes a vacation).

Good luck,

K
Old 04-30-2016, 04:40 PM
Lou7787
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by KRKP
The OP wasn't interested in selling his car, nor does it read as though he is now. The sales estimates used in this discussion by both the OP and the dealership involved, therefore, don't really represent a remedy.

Unless someone's position has changed, I would suggest that the dealership repair the car to the OP's satisfaction - and - compensate him in some agreeable fashion for the potential diminution of value in a future sale.

There are no hard/fast predictions of future value. This is a compromise situation no matter what anyone might like to claim. There is possibly a good recovery available here as well (if the rhetoric takes a vacation).

Good luck,

K
Thank you.

A very unfortunate situation. One I'm sure both parties would have liked to avoid.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:10 PM
wwwFLA
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks like the dealership has agreed to give value for the mistake to me.
Why I would go to a dealer that puts " STINGRAY" on the vehicle and I let them keep it there says a lot about the situation.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:22 PM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by wwwFLA
Looks like the dealership has agreed to give value for the mistake to me.
Why I would go to a dealer that puts " STINGRAY" on the vehicle and I let them keep it there says a lot about the situation.
what he said ....

I always stay with my car when it's in for service

Last edited by vt65; 04-30-2016 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:32 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy W1
I was at a Chevy dealer last week picking up my Impala and I was waiting in the entrance area while they were making up my bill and bringing my car out from the back lot. All of a sudden there was a big crash and one of the attendants was pulling a car out of the check in area and pulling it around back to the repair area and he ripped the passenger side mirror off of the car and scraped the passenger door really bad. Fortunately it was an old Buick and not a new car.
I saw something similar at my Chevy dealer. Three of us customers were waiting in the delivery area, and saw the porter back a car into another vehicle. I was flinching as I watched. He only about an 1" of clearance and I knew he wasn't going to make it.

If it had been my car, I might have run out there, screaming and waving my arms.

Dealerships are franchises. I've received good service at established dealerships, but once they change ownership, watch out. Too much turn over in staff, and it's like a start-up.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:04 PM
Watchie
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=J@stingraychevy;1592108272]Unfortunately the rear fascia of this vehicle was scratched while it was in the possession of Stingray Chevrolet (see pics). We contacted the customer to let him know and apologized. We provided a loaner vehicle while the car was repaired and will warranty the repair for as long as he owns the car. Our Body Shop repairs over 300 vehicles each month including high end exotic vehicles, specifically a Lamborghini and Ferrari that were repaired here last month. We have some of the best painters in the business.

The following is a quote from BLKC6; BBB Complaint #67336094 - "Compared to another Corvette with the same options and no repair work performed, my vehicle will not resell for it's full estimated bluebook value of $35,000 due to the repair work now present which has to be disclosed to any potential buyers of the vehicle."

Actually, Stingray Chevrolet will purchase this car for $36,000 if it is still in the condition it was when it left our Body Shop last week. This is $1,000 more than BLKC6 said is full estimated bluebook value. We will purchase the car OR take it in on trade for $36,000. This clearly establishes that there is no loss of value, and therefore no diminution of value is necessary. We will honor this price even if he decides to trade the vehicle in at another dealer and they sell it to us. Because book value changes every month this offer is good through the end of May 2016 as long as the odometer is within 5,000 miles of when it was at Stingray last.

Your offer is not in fact any evidence whatsoever that your customer's car has suffered no diminution in value. It represents at best an offer to buy the car for a value that may or may not be its current fair market value (FMV).

The fact of the matter is your customer is not looking to sell his car. He simply wants to be compensated for the damage your dealership caused. That damage has two parts. First, restoration of the car's condition to what it was before it was damaged, and second the diminution in value he will incur WHEN HE GOES TO SELL IT DOWN THE ROAD (sorry about the caps, but couldn't find a way to do italics).

It appears you made an attempt to correct the damage but did not get it back to where it was. That needs to be fixed. From there the right course of action is to offer him the "net" value of the car based on what that car would sell for down the road vs. what that car DAMAGED IN THE PAST would sell for down the road. And don't try to suggest there would be no impact on its resale value - we all have experienced what a non-perfect Car Fax report will do to what a dealer will offer in trade in, and the same for selling the car privately.

Do the right thing. Pay him for the damage your shop caused. Putting this somehow back on your customer is simply wrong, and certainly bad business.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:07 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by wayback
I dont care how good you think your painters are it will not be as durable as the factory paint.

Diminished value applies to the value of the car WHEN IT IS SOLD, not some date you set.
not for nothing but the factory pain on my 07Z06 is complete sh*t but thats neither here nor there in this discussion....moving this thread to the appropriate section...Transaction and Feedback as per forum rules and closing it since the dealer responded. If after repairs were made the OP wants to follow up he can do so. at this point the OP and dealer can discuss it offline....as i said if they wish to post a follow up they can do so.

Last edited by pewter99; 05-01-2016 at 07:13 PM.