Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

RadioFlyer

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 07:26 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,216 Likes on 776 Posts
Default RadioFlyer

In the advertisement of the RadioFlyer ACA Projector Headlight, there is a small asterisk that says, “ *Product is intended for Off-Road use Only”. I sent 2 emails asking 2 questions: 1) Explain this sentence, and 2) are the headlights DOT approved. With the cost of the headlights listed at $650, I wanted to know exactly what I was purchasing. I did not receive any reply from RadioFlyer. With the lack of response to my questions, and from my perspective, the lack of a response is a clear example of a company that has questionable business ethics.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:41 PM
friou
Melting Slicks

Received 767 Likes on 590 Posts

No response from customer service means no business from me. Small thing as the world turns but if enough folks send the message maybe they'll change their ways. In the meantime, I'm with you OP, and they are on my list!
Old 07-25-2016, 09:08 PM
MAC5
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts

George is a stand up forum supporting vendor for years with great customer service and quality products. He's posted recently that his usual quick turnaround has been delayed due to some personal issues. I'm sure he'll respond as soon as he can.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:48 AM
OUTAKTRL
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I've tried to contact him to buy a set of halo modded led tail lights. No response yet. But I've read he is going through some personal stuff right now. I'll give him some time. And see what happens.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:13 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

Some of the emails we respond to get kicked back as un-deliverable. When contacting through our website, PLEASE double check your email address to make sure our response gets to you.

To answer the OP's question, The notation is common for nearly ALL aftermarket components related to lighting. Getting "DOT approval" is an extremely expensive and often pointless process. For example, The OEM C5 headlights ARE DOT approved. Next time you're at the auto parts store, check how many LED or HID lighting products ARE DOT approved. To this end, it is the responsibility of the vehicle owner to ensure their vehicle is safe and any lighting modifications IMPROVE the function or safety of their vehicle. Our headlights are clearly an improvement in safety without blinding other drivers.

Compare OEM to our headlights pattern and output:

OEM Low beam

Radioflyer Low beam

For inspection purposes in those states the require it, the headlights have a SAE/DOT stamp on the lens that has satisfied every inspector that has come across the lights. The other factor being performance and so far no customer has reported being cited for improper vehicle equipment.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:03 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

From what I determine from RadioFlyer response to my questions is Buyer Beware. The advertised unit is not DOT approved because it cost too much to get it,(really?) and after all, all aftermarket lighting systems have the aforementioned phase. Tell that to the Maryland law enforcement that pull over cars with non standard headlights.

Went on line and found DOT regulations.

Here is what I found. Mine, no buy unless the system meets DOT. But like everything, your choice.

3. Comparison of Measured Photometric Distributions With FMVSS Requirements
To regulate the luminous intensity distributions of automotive forward headlamps for minimizing glare to oncoming drivers and improving drivers’ forward visibility, NHTSA issued FMVSS No. 571.108: Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment (FMVSS 108). This regulation states that headlamps should be designed to conform to specific photometric values. The FMVSS 108 requirements include two sets of photometry values for headlamp luminous intensity; the first set are minimum luminous intensity values, presumably to maintain good forward visibility, and the second set are maximum luminous intensity values, presumably to avoid (or at least reduce) glare.

3.1. Headlamp photometric standards
Appendix 2 summarizes the photometric performance requirements for low-beam vehicle headlamps from FMVSS 108.
Table 2: FMVSS 108 photometric standards for low beams used in this studyMaximum luminous intensities Minimum luminous intensities
Horizontal Vertical Limit Horizontal Vertical Limit
No. (deg.) (deg.) (cd) No. (deg.) (deg.) (cd)
1 1 1.5 1400 1 -8 0 64
2 -1.5 1 700 2 -4 0 135
3 -1.5 0.5 1000 3 1.3 -0.6 10000
4 1 0.5 2700 4 -3.5 -0.86 1800
5 3 0.5 2700 5 0 -0.86 4500
6 2 -1.5 15000
7 -15 -2 1000
8 -9 -2 1250
9 9 -2 1250
10 15 -2 1000
11 -20 -4 300
12 20 -4 300
Old 07-27-2016, 09:40 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

[QUOTE=rrwirsi;1592720265]From what I determine from RadioFlyer response to my questions is Buyer Beware. The advertised unit is not DOT approved because it cost too much to get it,(really?) and after all, all aftermarket lighting systems have the aforementioned phase. Tell that to the Maryland law enforcement that pull over cars with non standard headlights.

I would be surprised if any law enforcement officer would be able to identify our lights as aftermarket. The components used are a proper retrofit which is a class of headlights NOT identified by DOT. ALL DOT regulations involving HID kits assume bulbs simply installed in non-HID approved headlights. These HID bulbs in factory housings ARE obviously aftermarket, cause excessive glare and are justifiably illegal given the dangers the present to other driver's vision.

By comparison, a Proper HID retrofit uses a purpose-built HID projector in a housing designed for it's use. Because these headlights represent such a small minority of HID headlights kits, DOT simply issues a blanket statement that ALL HID kits are a no-no, but despite this, HID kits are legally sold all over the country.

Bottom line is I agree that it is up to the individual to ensure their vehicle is safe. At Radioflyer Innovations, we encourage proper HID systems and do not sell the simple bulb-replacement kits for this reason. Our headlights are the best performing systems that can safely installed on the vehicle. To date no headlight system is available that out-performs our kits OEM or Aftermarket (including the T84 Euro model with high wattage halogen bulbs) while also exceeding minimum lighting standards imposed by both US as well as other nations.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:21 AM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 278 Posts

I don't mean to jump into another thread but many of the upgrades or mods we do are not necessarily "approved" of , by the auto manufacturers, the driving ministry or the government

I wouldn't worry too much about it ....especially since out oem headlights are so horrible, if anything they should be illegal
Old 07-28-2016, 04:21 PM
terrywerst
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by rrwirsi
From what I determine from RadioFlyer response to my questions is Buyer Beware. The advertised unit is not DOT approved because it cost too much to get it,(really?) and after all, all aftermarket lighting systems have the aforementioned phase. Tell that to the Maryland law enforcement that pull over cars with non standard headlights.

Went on line and found DOT regulations.

Here is what I found. Mine, no buy unless the system meets DOT. But like everything, your choice.

3. Comparison of Measured Photometric Distributions With FMVSS Requirements
To regulate the luminous intensity distributions of automotive forward headlamps for minimizing glare to oncoming drivers and improving drivers’ forward visibility, NHTSA issued FMVSS No. 571.108: Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment (FMVSS 108). This regulation states that headlamps should be designed to conform to specific photometric values. The FMVSS 108 requirements include two sets of photometry values for headlamp luminous intensity; the first set are minimum luminous intensity values, presumably to maintain good forward visibility, and the second set are maximum luminous intensity values, presumably to avoid (or at least reduce) glare.

3.1. Headlamp photometric standards
Appendix 2 summarizes the photometric performance requirements for low-beam vehicle headlamps from FMVSS 108.
Table 2: FMVSS 108 photometric standards for low beams used in this studyMaximum luminous intensities Minimum luminous intensities
Horizontal Vertical Limit Horizontal Vertical Limit
No. (deg.) (deg.) (cd) No. (deg.) (deg.) (cd)
1 1 1.5 1400 1 -8 0 64
2 -1.5 1 700 2 -4 0 135
3 -1.5 0.5 1000 3 1.3 -0.6 10000
4 1 0.5 2700 4 -3.5 -0.86 1800
5 3 0.5 2700 5 0 -0.86 4500
6 2 -1.5 15000
7 -15 -2 1000
8 -9 -2 1250
9 9 -2 1250
10 15 -2 1000
11 -20 -4 300
12 20 -4 300
This mod is not for you bro.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:30 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by terrywerst
This mod is not for you bro.
Exactly. $650 and not safe. Go for it Bro.

Get notified of new replies

To RadioFlyer

Quick Reply: RadioFlyer