Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Back in a C3, but buyers beware Mershons Corvettes

Old 11-22-2016, 07:00 AM
Corvette SSX
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Back in a C3, but buyers beware Mershons Corvettes

Over the last year I’ve been searching for a low mileage 82 Corvette to use as a weekend driver. Not looking for a show car, just a solid fun car. A few weeks ago I found what I thought was a car that fit my requirements at Mershons.

The pictures on their web site looked good so I contacted them about the car to get more information. The salesman and I had several discussions about the car and I asked many, many questions. I also asked for additional pictures of the undercarriage and other parts of the car where I know there are potential issues. I did as much research about the car as I could other than having a third party look at it (I’ve done that in the past and still ended up with cars with problems so I didn’t waste the money this time).

One area in particular that I asked about were leaks. I was told that the valve cover gaskets leaked but they had already been fixed and there were no other leaks. I was still on the fence about the car so I asked the salesman to tell me something to sway me towards buying it. He told me that it was so solid he would sell it to his mother. I decided to pull the trigger and bought the car.

A week or so later the car arrived and I started going over it. It was obvious that the car was leaking quite a bit of oil. I took it to Corvette World here in Houston and asked them to look it over and fix the oil leaks and any other issues that were safety or reliability problems. I had them also switch out the computer chip. When all was said and done, I’d spent almost $3,200 to get the car into a safe, reliable condition.

I expected to spend some money to get the car where I wanted it to be, but after explicitly asking about oil leaks and being told that there were none and the valve cover gaskets were replaced, I was a bit upset that it cost me $650 to repair all the leaks. It turned out that the valve cover gaskets were not replaced and the oil pan was also leaking.

I contacted Mershons about the oil leaks and requested that they reimburse me for those repairs since I was told that there were no leaks. They responded with an offer of $300 in reimbursements. That didn’t even cover the cost of the valve cover gasket repairs. I responded with a counter offer of $500. I waited for a couple of days and sent them follow up emails asking for a response. Still haven’t heard back from them so I’m assuming they are declining my offer.

I realize that it’s buyer beware when buying anything, especially a car. However, when I explicitly ask about an issue and am blatantly lied to, then low balled for a reimbursement, then ignored, I feel that I should let others know.

I wish this transaction would have turned out better and that I didn’t have to post this. Buyers beware of Mershons and their deceptive sales practices.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:11 AM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

Sorry to hear of your problem, but salesmen are in the business to make sales. They tell you whatever they need to in order to make a sale. If you couldn't see the car in person, you should have gotten an independent inspection by a person who knows C3 Corvettes. Hope it is all straightened out now and you can drive it and enjoy it.

Last edited by SRQStingray; 11-22-2016 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:12 AM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,660 Likes on 1,399 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Mershons is just like all these "Corvette" high end sales operations.....prices WAY higher than what can be found on the private market, and an arrogance to go with it. If you doubt them, they come up with a long string of B.S. statements. Suffice it to say, they exist because there are enough wealthy buyers to keep them in business, but in my opinion, they all over price their cars.....but, I guess that is capitalism...if there are buyers who will pay, then I guess they exist. Truth is with Ebay, AutoTrader and Craigslist, you can find better cars at a lower price.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 11-22-2016 at 07:13 AM.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:22 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I regret your deal was not up to your expectations, but you purchased a car you had not personally inspected. If you feel the car was misrepresented, you may have legal avenues you could explore.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:03 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

"They responded with an offer of $300 in reimbursements. That didn’t even cover the cost of the valve cover gasket repairs."

You paid $300 to have valve cover gaskets replaced?
Old 11-22-2016, 08:36 AM
mobird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by 540 vette
"They responded with an offer of $300 in reimbursements. That didn’t even cover the cost of the valve cover gasket repairs."

Just what I was thinking. May want to call the company who did the repairs and ask for reimbursement...
Old 11-22-2016, 09:41 AM
0Corvettes by George
Former Vendor

Received 152 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by SRQStingray
Sorry to hear of your problem, but salesmen are in the business to make sales. They tell you whatever they need to in order to make a sale. If you couldn't see the car in person, you should have gotten an independent inspection by a person who knows C3 Corvettes. Hope it is all straightened out now and you can drive it and enjoy it.
So, you're saying that being a salesman gives you a license to lie?
Not in my world!
Old 11-22-2016, 09:44 AM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

Whoever is doing your repair work is kinda ripping you off. Valve cover gaskets, with time and parts, shouldn't be over $100 to $150
Old 11-22-2016, 10:16 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

He told me that it was so solid he would sell it to his mother.
Cause his wife probably knows better and wont

Man thats too bad people are such slime. First thing when you get (dealer) a used car fix the leaks so you can detail it and it stays good.

They never realize if they were honest enough people will still buy as they feel comfortable they know what they are getting into worked for me every time. Tell them and photo the BAD...it works.

All you can do at this point is put your stamp on it. If the car was that bad go after what you feel is reasonable. Try and enjoy the car, logistics can make this stuff tough.

Friend just bought a 40 La Salle for 25 off ebay, seller and ad sounded similar to yours. EVERYthing in this car was bad I mean all of it.

Try and have some fun with it even a local seller wil lie, its human nature unfortunately!
Old 11-22-2016, 10:16 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by 540 vette

He paid 650.00 for oil pan gasket & head gaskets with 5 QT. of oil? Wonder what the hell kind of oil & gaskets they were for that kind of money.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:18 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by chstitans42
Whoever is doing your repair work is kinda ripping you off. Valve cover gaskets, with time and parts, shouldn't be over $100 to $150
It's sad that the "Vultures" are still going to "pick the bones" of someone who is willing to pay good money for a quality product.

Some people are gifted with the ability to "make money" and have the work done.....others are gifted with the ability to restore/repair their own car/project.

My sympathy to the O.P. ........being able to pay for the work doesn't translate into having a $Target$ on one's back.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:55 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

good post so true. Lots of dirtbags waiting to take advantage of others in this industry.
Just wasted $1200 this yr AGAIN chasing a code, same shop. Turned out to be a .50c fuse think I saw anything back?
One reason Im looking for a carbed truck.

Body guys imo are the worst. Back on topic

OP dont let it sour you on the hobby

Last edited by cv67; 11-22-2016 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:52 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 336 Posts

I guess it's also possible Mershons doesn't want to pay as they are fully aware that there is no possible way it costs $300. (or over) to change a set of valve cover gaskets.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:58 PM
Vet76te
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mobird
Just what I was thinking. May want to call the company who did the repairs and ask for reimbursement...
I agree!! $650 to replace valve cover and oil pan gaskets is much worse than what the dealer did. Also....what else did you have done for the $3,200.00 in repairs??

Valve cover and oil pan gasket replacement should be less than $200.00 for both.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:04 PM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

I don't know if anyone chiming in here regarding the price he paid for valve cover and oil pan gasket replacement does it for a living but around here a good shop charges $100 - $125/hr for labor. $650 may be high but I believe $200 parts and labor is not realistic. Just a good set of Fel Pro valve cover gaskets is $40.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:20 AM
Vet76te
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by revitup
I don't know if anyone chiming in here regarding the price he paid for valve cover and oil pan gasket replacement does it for a living but around here a good shop charges $100 - $125/hr for labor. $650 may be high but I believe $200 parts and labor is not realistic. Just a good set of Fel Pro valve cover gaskets is $40.
I am not a mechanic by trade, but i just recently had the valve cover gaskets replaced on my stock 1971 350 with A/C. Both sides. The total bill, parts and labor, was $100.00 even. Performed at a local garage in the B'ham, Alabama area.

Granted, they were doing a few other small things to the car also, which may have reduced the overall price.....but it sounds like the OP was as well. He stated he spent $3,200 in repairs, $650 of which were on valve cover and oil pan gasket replacement.

Last edited by Vet76te; 11-24-2016 at 06:26 AM.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:47 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,320 Likes on 2,769 Posts

It does not appear the vendor will be responding to this thread. If he wants to or the OP has news of a development in the handling of the transaction, we can add that. Other than that all we are getting are comments from people not involved in the transaction, so the thread will be closed at this time.

Get notified of new replies

To Back in a C3, but buyers beware Mershons Corvettes

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Back in a C3, but buyers beware Mershons Corvettes