Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

RaceTech Forged Experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 12:05 AM
ratboyusn
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Default RaceTech Forged Experience

What follows is a highly detailed accounting of my experience with RaceTech Forged. None of it is embellished - it's all factual.

It is a long read, so be forewarned. There are many other CF members as well as those on the Porsche and other forums that will attest that this is the true way RTF does business. You have been warned if you do business with RTF. BTW, CF has removed RTF as a forum sponsor.

This is a documentation timeline of my experience with Race Tech Forged (RTF)/Race Tech Motoring (RTM). I have every single e-mail ever sent between RTF and myself since initial inquiry as proof of the claims made below.

Sep 2016

9-23-16
I first contacted Race Tech Forged (RTF) on 23 Sep, inquiring about different styles of wheels available for my 2015 Corvette Z-51. The respondent at RTF was ‘Donnie’. He informed me that all of their wheels were custom-made to order and that they could offer any color in jut about any size. The model I initially inquired about was the Track Spec-5.

I was quoted tires from several manufacturers and our (4) tires (Z-51 fitment) from Tire Rack, four (4) OEM TPMS, ‘Jake’ center caps and ‘high-speed road force mounting and balancing. This package also included lug nuts, and shipping and handling. They also offered a ‘Media Discount’ if I agreed to provide photos of the wheels on my Corvette once received and mounted.

9-25-16
Donnie resent the quote e-mail as he stated it never sent (it actually did). I told Donnie that I wanted to compare a couple of other manufacturers and that I would get back to him in a couple of days. He informed me that I should compare ‘apples to apples’ when shopping around since their claim was they used only 6061-T6 heat-treated forged aluminum, made in the USA and the finish is a two-toned powder coating.

Oct 2016

10-10-16
I wrote back to Donnie after comparing forged wheels with another competitor and gave him the exact specifications I wanted of the wheel package he quoted me on 23 Sep 16. I also inquired as to the delivery time to San Diego for the entire set-up. He wrote back immediately that it would take 30-45 business days production and only 1-2 days shipping from LA. I didn’t answer immediately, but the next day he wrote back ensuring I had received his e-mail and asked if I wanted a detailed quote at this point. He stated that all he would need from me is my complete mailing info, full name, and best phone number.

10-11-16
I wrote back and told him that I did receive his last e-mail and asked for a clean, updated quote for everything. Did not hear back from Donnie on 11 Oct 16.

10-12-16
I wrote back to Donnie to ensure he received my last e-mail. He wrote back with a detailed quote (minus tires). He stated to let him know which tires I wanted so they could process the order with the ‘rest of the C7 guys we’re starting tomorrow.’ I informed him that I wanted to go with Pirelli P Zero’s and that I needed TPMS, since I would not be using them from my original wheels. I asked him if that included lugs and if the price included tax. I also asked what other info was needed to place the order. He wrote back almost immediately and he clarified what color the caps would be, and that the final price included tires, wheels, lug nuts, shipping, mounting and balancing and ‘literally everything needed.’ I was informed that I could choose what color lug nut I wanted. He reiterated that all he needed was a complete mailing address and phone number in order to send a detailed invoice for the build.

10-13-16
I thanked Donnie and provided him my mailing address and phone number. He informed me on an e-mail immediately that accounting just informed him that they sent me a detailed invoice for the build. I indicated that I received the invoice. I also asked if there was an amount required as a deposit or to pay in full. Donnie replied the wheel part of the invoice had to be paid in full in order to start any machining. He did indicate that we could wait to order the tires if I wanted, but he wasn’t sure if the price would change at the time the tires were ordered if later (he order them from Tire Rack). He indicated that he could write up two invoices – one for the wheels and the other with the tires and TPMS. I indicated that I had no problem paying in full. Donnie indicated that I needed to sign the invoice and send it back to accounting. Once payment was made, that they would order the TPMS and get the forging in line for production. He then asked for the last 8 of my VIN to order OEM TPMS. I sent a signed copy of the invoice back to RTF so that they could begin manufacture and order for the rest of the parts, as well as the last 8 of my Corvette VIN. Donnie indicated that TPMS were ordered and would be delivered tomorrow. He also indicated that accounting had received the signed invoice and then asked what color lug nuts I wanted. I also asked if RTF would accept a Credit Card for the order.

10-14-16
Donnie informed me that “As of the first of this month we stopped accepting credit cards. Long story short, a few bad apples forced us to have to stop accepting cards.” I told him I would provide a bank transfer coming from my bank. He thanked me for understanding and stated that once accounting could verify the payment (send the receipt) he could start on the wheels ‘”today.” I stated that I would provide the receipt as soon as I got one. I then asked for RTF’s address and he provided me the following:
5200 E 60 St
Maywood, CA 90720

I thanked him and provided a photo of the receipt from Wells Fargo Bank where a cashiers check was deposited into the account number he provided (big mistake!). Donnie indicated that he would have accounting update the invoice showing paid in full and that he would go ahead and order the tires and get to work on the wheels. I thanked him and asked for some progress photos as the process went along – his response “of course we’ll update you. I’ll send you images throughout the build process.” He provided (what I think are now) two ‘stock’ photos of the wheel ‘blanks’ prior to CNC. I have seen these photos on the RTF website before.

10-26-16
I checked in with Donnie to see how the wheels were coming along. He stated that they were coming along and that he would “send pictures of the wheels once they’re cut mid-next week. We did the lathe work already.” He mentioned that the week would be pretty busy with the open track day they were having next week and SEMA the very next day. He stated that he would “send you pictures of the lathe turned parts” (They never did). All was well up to this point…prompt answers to e-mail, legit answers to my questions and lots of reassurances that this job would not be that difficult…a routine order. However, this is where things started going downhill.

11-10-16
Checked in again with Donnie via e-mail. I noted that it was only two days from the estimated shipping (one month) as per the invoice and asked if he had any photos for me yet. No answer. This presumably is where communication with Donnie ended.

11-12-16
I checked in with Donnie and re-attached my invoice stating that the estimated shipping date for the wheels would be 12 Nov 16 and did he have an update.

11-14-16
I received a response from RTF (not sure if it was Donnie, but likely not) who said that they were looking at the wheels to be finished by the end of the week, that they were currently at the finisher. They apologized for the delay that the SEMA show pushed everything back a week. I asked if it was possible to confirm shipping before the coming week since I would be out of town starting Monday the week expected for the wheels to ship. If they couldn’t confirm shipping by mid-week to please defer shipping due to my upcoming Thanksgiving travel. I then indicated for them to ship on 25 Nov 16 since I would be back home by then.

11-17-16
I again asked via e-mail if it was possible to confirm that the wheels would be arriving before the upcoming Sunday, and that I would be on travel.

11-19-16
I was contacted by RTF who stated that the “finisher just called him and said he’ll have them done today”. They still needed to mount and balance the tires. He indicated that he could hold the wheels until I returned. I agreed to wait until my return. I asked him to e-mail or call when they finally shipped after I returned on 25 Nov 16. He stated that he would send me pictures of the wheels with the tires on them. He never did send any photos.

11-25-16
I e-mailed Raz (new guy who I was now working with as I found out)/Donnie and stated I was home and to ship the wheels. I also asked for the promised photos.

11-26-16
Raz replied back that he was not in the office but Monday he would send images of the wheels and get them shipped out Monday afternoon.

11-28-16
I e-mailed Raz to indicate that I did not receive shipping confirmation as asked if the wheels shipped.

11-29-16
I again inquired via e-mail that I didn’t get a shipping confirmation and asked if they shipped.

12-1-16
Called to speak personally to Raz. When no shipment was made, he said that there was a mix up at the shop. He had some extended pre-holiday travel and he gave the shop instructions to finish the wheels and that that never happened. He stated it would be about another 7-10 days for the finisher to complete them. He apologized profusely stating “I’m totally with you 100% sometimes if I don’t do it no one will. We’re running a small operation here and unfortunately sometimes I tell others to do a simple thing like send an e-mail and I find out it wasn’t done.”…and even went as far to state that he would talk to ‘corporate’ to provide some compensation for the order being delayed and that when they were ready, he would personally drive them from LA to San Diego to ensure they made it to me. He said that they would be finished and shipped by 6 Dec 16.

12-6-16
I e-mailed Raz to inquire when the wheels would ship today.

12-10-16
I e-mailed Raz and said to please give me a call. I also asked what was going on with the shipment of the wheels. I went on a rant saying that I was promised delivery of the wheels almost a month ago and that all I was getting was the run around. There has been zero communication lately and when I did call, I was always given some excuse, such as : “they didn’t make it to the finisher” (they were supposed to be done a month ago), or “didn’t make it to powder coating on time.” I indicated that I would not be recommending them to anyone on the Corvette Forum. Short of begging, I told them I wanted answers and for them to provide a solid date next week fro delivery – no more excuses. Of course, nothing. I spammed their ‘Contact Me’ on the website, their Facebook page and two Sales e-mails that I used initially and that Raz has used to reply. Finally RTF responded and all that was said was “production ran into some errors and we needed to remake the front wheels.” They were supposedly already finished and ready for shipping. He want on to say “I’m sorry. You’ll the wheels (sic) 100% 12-21-16.” I indicated “all you needed to do was e-mail or call, the silence leads to confusion, please stay in touch.”

12-21-16
I was contacted by RTF who now stated that the wheels were “at the finisher (I assume the font wheels that needed to be remanufactured) and that he would be finished with them Friday (12-23-16) – Sorry for the delays.” I wrote back to him immediately and said that I didn’t even believe the wheels had even been manufactured and that if he couldn’t produce the wheels, I would like to get a refund. I gave him until Friday to produce the wheels or I wanted my money back. He wrote back and said that the wheels “are cut 100%, there’s no question on that. The tires and TPMS are all waiting for the wheels to come back from the finisher. I’ll send you images of the wheels tomorrow including tires and TPMS.”

12-23-16
I e-mailed Raz and stated that as expected I didn’t see any photos and that I had high hopes that the wheels were back from the finisher and will be shipped. Incredibly, Raz sent three images. One was the correct wheel (colors and all) hanging from what appears to be hooks (from the finisher?), 4 TPMS (in manufacturer bags), and the correct back Pirelli P Zero tire. He indicated that this was just one image the finisher sent to him, and that he is almost done and going to apply the final clear coat later today and give it the galactic metallic finish I asked for…the other 3 wheels are almost done.” (Finally! PROMISING!!) He was aiming to ship Monday or Tuesday (26 or 27 Dec 16), and that he “understands that it’s taken longer than expected but once I see the final product that he is sure I’ll appreciate the extra time it took to make them come out perfect.” I thanked him and said that I was looking forward to the shipment. I also indicated that I had not seen photos of any of the caps that went with the wheels.

01-03-17
I wrote back to Raz and indicated that it had been almost two weeks since his last e-mail and to please tell me when the wheels would ship?

01-04-17
E-mailed to indicate that I still had not heard back from him, and that it was closing in on three months now overdue on promised delivery and that it was time to get this order out the door. PLEASE! Still no answer.

This was the last communiqué with RTF to date. I still do not have confirmation of delivery, no additional photos, and no one at RTF e-mailing or calling to apologize/explain/provide updates, etc. Even when I initiate contact, it might be days before I receive a reply if any at all.

On 6 Jan 17 I posted in the Rennlist Forum (page 26 of thread entitled: Race Tech Forged Owes Me $5000) with others who have had similar experiences with RTF, looking for advice on what to do next, and if anyone else could attest that I wasn't the only victim of the scam being run at RTF.

Here is the thread:
http://rennlist.com/forums/997-turbo...5000-a-26.html

Thanks for reading on...
Old 01-10-2017, 12:34 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

RTF is no longer a forum vendor.

Quick Reply: RaceTech Forged Experience