Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

So what should I do here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 10:39 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Default So what should I do here.

I sold a set of valve covers to a member here. They were new off my 502. I listed them as so. And posted pictures. I sent them out without scratches or smudges or grease on them. I sold them for $125 shipped. I bought a set of Spectre chrome valves covers to replace them on the engine. I packed the 502 valve covers in the same box as the Spectre covers and wrapped them in brown masking paper and inserted shipping balloons in the box. The covers were pretty tight in there. The buyer received the covers and wrote me he wants a refund because the covers were scratched and they had grease and a sticky substance on them. Now I sent him nice valve covers unscratched. And they didn't have grease on them. I offered to refund him $50 and he could keep the covers. He wants a full refund. But I don't know if he dropped them and scratched them. And if I refund him what happens if I get them back and they were further damaged. I have sold stuff here before with no problems and I have a perfect rating on E Bay. I don't sell things that aren't what I say they are. And I know if I don't refund him he will come on here and tear me up.

Last edited by 540 vette; 02-15-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:06 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 262 Likes on 209 Posts

he ships them back at his expense and then you issue the refund.. if they are damaged then you file an insurance claim with the shipper. if they are aluminum then the scratches can be sanded and polished.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:08 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by joewill
he ships them back at his expense and then you issue the refund.. if they are damaged then you file an insurance claim with the shipper. if they are aluminum then the scratches can be sanded and polished.
Joe I sent him covers that were in great shape, maybe he should go to the shipper. I wouldn't have started a thread on here if I didn't think I was right.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:13 AM
hzz
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Did he send you pictures of the covers when he received them?
It might help you figure out what's going on.

It sucks when you're an honest seller and this type of thing happens.

I'd look at the pictures and then decide what to do, but I probably would have him ship them back at his expense and then refund his money once I received them.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:18 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by hzz
Did he send you pictures of the covers when he received them?
It might help you figure out what's going on.

It sucks when you're an honest seller and this type of thing happens.

I'd look at the pictures and then decide what to do, but I probably would have him ship them back at his expense and then refund his money once I received them.
The scratched couldn't come from the shipping, not the way I had them packed.

Last edited by 540 vette; 02-15-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:22 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

While there are always two sides, none of us here were there, so none of use can really say what to do, unless we tale sides on faith, if you have pictures showing the condition before you shipped them that is a pretty good piece of proof you shipped them in good condition, was the package insured as this is either the carriers fault or the buyer trying to pull one or perhaps from shipping they now are scratched but that wouldnt make grease or dirt magically appear or whatever the buyer didnt like, did he send you after pictures proving his side?
You offer a good rebate, but seller wants full refund, so for him that is what you have to do, but you might not care to do that.
Likely he will pop in this thread with his side of it,
Bottom line if i sent a part in one condition and it arrived diffently that is going to be the carrier or buyers issue.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:29 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by The13Bats
While there are always two sides, none of us here were there, so none of use can really say what to do, unless we tale sides on faith, if you have pictures showing the condition before you shipped them that is a pretty good piece of proof you shipped them in good condition, was the package insured as this is either the carriers fault or the buyer trying to pull one or perhaps from shipping they now are scratched but that wouldnt make grease or dirt magically appear or whatever the buyer didnt like, did he send you after pictures proving his side?
You offer a good rebate, but seller wants full refund, so for him that is what you have to do, but you might not care to do that.
Likely he will pop in this thread with his side of it,
Bottom line if i sent a part in one condition and it arrived diffently that is going to be the carrier or buyers issue.
Here's the valve covers right before I packed them. they are insured. And I posted pictures above as they way he got them. If I felt it was my fault I would have sent the money by now.

Last edited by 540 vette; 02-15-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:33 AM
dtamustang
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

as bad as i hate to say it , he pays return shipping and give him a full refund. all it takes is one guy to ruin an otherwise good selling reputation , even if he is dead wrong. take a look at the big picture , $125 is nothing to get too nervous over if it costs you 5 or 6 times that due to one guy that thinks he got a raw deal and tells anyone that will listen how he was cheated by you
Old 02-15-2017, 11:34 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by dtamustang
as bad as i hate to say it , he pays return shipping and give him a full refund. all it takes is one guy to ruin an otherwise good selling reputation , even if he is dead wrong. take a look at the big picture , $125 is nothing to get too nervous over if it costs you 5 or 6 times that due to one guy that thinks he got a raw deal and tells anyone that will listen how he was cheated by you
You are right. I e mailed him to send them back and after I inspect them I will refund his money. I have been selling parts for almost 20 years and never had any problems.

Last edited by 540 vette; 02-15-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:39 PM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

You are correct. You should not have started a thread. They arrived last night and were not dropped. They will be sent back better wrapped then when sent.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:45 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by karol
You are correct. You should not have started a thread. They arrived last night and were not dropped. They will be sent back better wrapped then when sent.

I'll start what ever I want to start. Who are you to tell me what to do. You received undamaged goods and you are returning ones that are damaged. Just let me know when they are sent. You should be glad you aren't dealing with about a half dozen other guys on here. I received plenty of E Mails stating that I shouldn't pay.

Last edited by 540 vette; 02-15-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:40 PM
mvftw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Could be that the guy had a set of bad covers and is beating you out of your good set...Sucks...
Old 02-15-2017, 02:31 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by mvftw
Could be that the guy had a set of bad covers and is beating you out of your good set...Sucks...

The old saying is let the buyer beware. Let the seller beware also.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:42 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 855 Likes on 626 Posts

It would seem to me that there would be some corresponding damage to the box or boxes if it happened during shipment. Was there any?
Old 02-15-2017, 02:44 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by 69ttop502
It would seem to me that there would be some corresponding damage to the box or boxes if it happened during shipment. Was there any?
He didn't say or supply picture. Maybe he will post some here. I'd like to see them.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:55 PM
See Three
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Had a similar experience at work when a courier dropped off an 800lb steel mold that had been dropped and had sustained considerable damage. First they said that since it was signed for there was nothing they could do. We argued that the receivers are not tooling experts and most of the damage was concealed. After a few months of arguing they did end up covering the $3000 repair cost. They said that the proper way to handle it is to call them right away so that they can send a representative to investigate and fill out a claim.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:25 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Originally Posted by dtamustang
He pays shipping.....send them back...return his $125 and move on.......
I almost bought these for my truck....but had some Moroso's laying around.......and the very reason I considered them is that I bought the damn intake off the same engine from you and it was perfect!

I think whoever it is, is overreacting a bit.......if they were $300 covers...yeah I would say something....I buy a lot of $100 parts and sometimes they have anomalies or are not exactly what I wanted as it was explained by the seller but too much trouble for me to dick with for $125. Scuffed or not....the covers are worth that.

Jebby

Last edited by Jebbysan; 02-15-2017 at 03:28 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To So what should I do here.

Old 02-15-2017, 03:31 PM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mvftw
Are you serious?
Old 02-15-2017, 03:33 PM
See Three
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

To me the damage looks like they were nested inside each other and the top one damaged the bottom one.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:36 PM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

This was the way they were shipped. Layer of paper between the valve covers. As you can see in the OP's pictures there are protrusions in the valve cover that scratched the out side of the other as they were stacked. If they were sent prestine as advertised then it happened in the shipping.

The way they are being shipped back. Double layers of towels wrapped around each valve cover with bubble wrap in between and large bubble wrap to fill any voids in the box.

No one is trying to cheat anybody.

Quick Reply: So what should I do here.