Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Ripped off by Jimomatic

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 08:50 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Been through this balancing act all the way back to my C5...something to think about; excessive runout can be due to the wheel itself being the culprit, not necessarily the tire. The specification is .100 inch. anything more is considered out of round. You can do your own testing for this on your car; jack up the front, mount the wheel by itself, spin the wheel by hand and looking down the length of the car check for slight in and out movement with each revolution. You can also do the same test with a tire/wheel assembly...just watching the motion (wobble) of the tire instead. Now, enter wheel/tire balancing and you have the potential for many more combinations of things gone wrong, on top of that placement on the vehicle, left or right, adds more variability. The ultimate test is a road test up to 80 mph, most vibration or steering wheel nibble is greatest at speeds over 50 mph.

The best way to insure no financial loss is to never buy used tires or wheels. Best scenario is to go through Discount Tire or equivalent source, where should a problem arise THEY are responsible for correcting it. I have come to this realization after running at least a dozen different sets of wheels and tires, both new and used, over the last 20 years on Corvettes. Buyer beware is in play, and bear in mind, these are not simple components that you can return easily to the seller, ship cheaply, nor store in a tool chest.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:58 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

Mounting HP tires is one of the few things we don't do at our shop. I do have a great shop close by that mounts anything from race car slicks to trucks with road force. 2 years ago they went through at least 12 new BFG All terrains for my truck! Each had some issue with road force. Finally at the end of my emotional line I told them to just mount up the best ones and I will live with it! Now 20k later all is just fine. After the seemingly endless tire debacle it was explained by another employee that many tires have some issues (he laughed about Good years) its just how bad one can live with, just saying.

BTW what did we do years ago without these 20k road force balancers and tires were not even close to current qualities. Mount the garbage up on some good rims and try them out you may be pleasantly surprised
Old 03-14-2017, 09:37 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

I suppose I'll save them but not sure for what. I don't have disposable income to just buy more rims for seeing if these tires are duds or not.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:41 PM
Cyclone09Z06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Do you want to sale the tires? if yes how much? I may be a buyer as is. I've been through about four sets of used cups and two sets of new, never had an issue so I'm thinking its your shop. Not taking sides just thinking if cheap enough I may take the chance.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:04 PM
jclarksnakes
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

You are getting lots of good advice here. Please do not throw those tires away. It is very possible that there is nothing wrong with them.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:54 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,495 Likes on 1,892 Posts

Personally, I think you may have jumped the gun attacking the seller. I'm not attacking you, no need to get bent out of shape, so far you got the short end of the stick. However, I bought a set of GY SuperCars for my 1LE Camaro with a couple hundred miles on the tires. I took them to a local dealer, was told they were "unusable". These came off a brand new 1LE with 210 miles on them, yet the dealer deemed them to be "crap". Took them to Discount Tire and they're still on my car, 2,500 miles later and 0 issues. Have tracked with these tires 3 times, still can't see why these were unusable. When techs are lazy, or service departments don't have the proper equipment, suddenly your item is deemed to be "crap". It sucks that you had to pay for tires twice, hope things work out
Old 03-15-2017, 07:09 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

You guys maybe right. Unfortunately, I won't ever really know except if I hang on to the tires and persevere on trying to use them.

For now I'm letting it go until I see what happens with the 4 new ones. If the dealer is so bad they have a 75% failure rate, it will remain that way when they mount my new tires.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:23 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Does the road force print out tell you anything in particular? I have the road force value for all four tires. The dealer checked the runout on my wheels and they're round/true. No issues with bent rims.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:54 PM
dndrsn
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts

Are the tires mounted on your stock rims?
Old 03-15-2017, 04:53 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dndrsn
Are the tires mounted on your stock rims?
Yeah. Service manager showed me the machine, how they check wheel runout (which was fine) and how they do the road force. Gave me all the printouts.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:33 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

having a hunter gsp9700 road force balancer myself, did they try to force match the tire/wheel combo? did they try switching the tires to different rims and see if the runout went up/down?
Old 03-21-2017, 07:58 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

I dunno man. I don't balance tires or use these machines. The dealer does it all the time though. The first set in question they said was bad. The new set I had delivered directly by Tire Rack was totally fine.

The best 'benefit of the doubt' I can give the seller is the tires were permanently flat spotted since he bought the Z07 car as an inventory clearing deal late in 2016. In the best of situations he didn't know there was an issue. However since he sold them for $750, I suspect he gave me a 'great' price knowing there was an issue so he could feel better about not fully disclosing the issues.

Last edited by spearfish25; 03-21-2017 at 07:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Ripped off by Jimomatic