Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Ripped off by Jimomatic

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 03:07 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts
Default Ripped off by Jimomatic

Guy on the forum sold me his 'like new' Cup tires. Lives in Tampa. I drove there myself and picked them up. Mounted them this week and 3 of the 4 tires are bad when road force balanced.

Last edited by spearfish25; 03-14-2017 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:09 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Were they advertised in the C6 section?

Old 03-14-2017, 03:40 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

If *you* didn't notice they were bad when you picked them up in person, how do you know the seller knew? Clearly, when you picked them up, you agreed with at least the visual "like new" assessment, or you wouldn't have picked them up, right?

Usually "used, as-is, no warranty" means just that, unless the seller mis-represented the item or offered you a personal guarantee. Did he?

And when you say that they were found to be "bad" when balancing, what exactly does that mean? That they could NOT be balanced, or just that it took a large amount of weights to balance, or...?

Not trying to protect any scummy scammers -- no way. But since you brought it to the Forum, I'm just trying to clear up what actually happened.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:41 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 502 Likes on 347 Posts

Karma will get him .... if you do not 1st ... assuming he knew what he was doing
Old 03-14-2017, 03:43 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 502 Likes on 347 Posts

All legit concerns ... more info ...definately needed

Originally Posted by Kent1999
If *you* didn't notice they were bad when you picked them up in person, how do you know the seller knew? Clearly, when you picked them up, you agreed with at least the visual "like new" assessment, or you wouldn't have picked them up, right?

Usually "used, as-is, no warranty" means just that, unless the seller mis-represented the item or offered you a personal guarantee. Did he?

And when you say that they were found to be "bad" when balancing, what exactly does that mean? That they could NOT be balanced, or just that it took a large amount of weights to balance, or...?

Not trying to protect any scummy scammers -- no way. But since you brought it to the Forum, I'm just trying to clear up what actually happened.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:53 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

I was told the tires had under 500 miles on them and were 'like new' and without problems.

My local dealer is very experienced with Z06s and their tires. They installed them and when road force balanced, 3 of the 4 had 'excessive runout'. They could not be balanced.

I've contacted the seller who is implying he has no knowledge of issues. If he's an honest guy, then he can help me get the tires replaced under warranty. If he's not, then I expect him to go silent.

Last edited by spearfish25; 03-14-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:20 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

^^^ Excessive runout could indeed be an issue that *might* not be known to the seller. In my opinion, he should indeed help with getting the tires warrrantied as much as he legally can.

However, an unknown issue is exactly one of the reasons used tires are cheaper than new... there is no warranty from seller to buyer. If he sold them with no issues *to the best of his knowlege*, and you accepted them as-is, all conditions of the sale have been met, and you could be on your own. Have you tried taking them to a Michelin dealer to see if they'll warranty replace them?

Did he say anything to the effect of "go get them balanced, and if they are bad, I'll take them back"?

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 03-14-2017 at 11:36 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:45 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Sometimes tires don't seat properly on the rims and sometimes the tire jockey is lazy and after a tire fails to balance doesn't spin the tire 180 degrees on the rim as a way to reduce the chance of the rim heavy spot and the tire heavy spot being in the same position.

Bill
Old 03-14-2017, 05:07 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

I'm going to take them back and investigate further. I'll send them to Michelin myself. My dealer is on the ball and confirmed the 3 were bad.

Makes me wonder if permanent tire damage occurs on the Cups if they're sitting on a dealer lots for months on end.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:53 PM
joemosfet
Burning Brakes

Received 318 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Sometimes tires don't seat properly on the rims and sometimes the tire jockey is lazy and after a tire fails to balance doesn't spin the tire 180 degrees on the rim as a way to reduce the chance of the rim heavy spot and the tire heavy spot being in the same position.

Bill
This is totally the truth. The discount by me won't even touch the Z06 tire / wheel sets because "they're too hard to work on."
Old 03-14-2017, 06:56 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

1st. I'm sure you inspected the tires to the best of your ability when buying them. I'm also pretty sure they looked to be fairly new as they only had 500 miles on them or you wouldn't have bought them in the first place.
2nd. The seller probably didn't know of any issues as he's already responded to you on his initial thread. From the time they were removed to the time they were reinstalled on your car 2 things may have happened that wouldn't have been to either of your knowledge. Either the person who removed them messed them up or the person who installed them may have messed them up.

I don't think that this is a case of seller ripping off buyer. As far as pressing charges that just made me laugh. What charges would you press? He's a private seller offering a used product with no warranty expressed. If he can help you that would be nice but also not mandatory by any means. Instead of calling him out on the forum perhaps you could have picked up the phone and asked him for his assistance with getting them replaced under warranty.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:07 PM
Bmwmike
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I can tell you there is a good chance it is due to the installer. The amount of time a tech flags to do a mount and balance is not much. Normally that gets passed on to a hourly wage employee which would be an entry level person fresh out of high school. You can not balance these tires on just any machine. Ask them when is the last time they calibrated the machine. Also if the tires do not balance out they should be dismounted and mounted in another position. How could three out of 4 be no good. If one would not balance out I could understand. I would try another shop that is geared to aftermarket wheel and tire combos.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:10 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Well the installer theory will be tested tomorrow. If my Chevy dealer is so terrible as to ruin 3 tires, we'll see what happens to the 4 brand news ones arriving there from Tire Rack tomorrow.

As for buyer/seller issues, it is what it is. Dude has my money and I have round pieces of rubber garbage.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:15 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

^^^ You may have round pieces of rubber garbage as you say.... but they may not have been garbage when you bought them. I would NOT go back to your dealer to have you new tires installed. Listen to Bmwmike 's advice.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 03-14-2017 at 11:36 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:16 PM
Bmwmike
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by spearfish25
Well the installer theory will be tested tomorrow. If my Chevy dealer is so terrible as to ruin 3 tires, we'll see what happens to the 4 brand news ones arriving there from Tire Rack tomorrow.

As for buyer/seller issues, it is what it is. Dude has my money and I have round pieces of rubber garbage.
I think that was not a good move to buy 4 new tires. Now the dealer just roped you into buying 4 tires from them. Also if they dont balance out %100 do you think they will tell you? They sure will tell you the other tires didnt tho.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:23 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

^^^ I bought them from Tire Rack (at their recommendation) and they're being drop shipped. My dealer is excellent and has my back. They are likely losing money on this saga. They're mounting the new tires for free and none of this had anything to do with them.

Everyone is amazing me here. I'm out the money and apparently it's all my fault according to the forum jury.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:34 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

^^^ I can only speak for myself but I never said it was your fault. I said it wasn't necessarily the sellers fault and there is no way to know/prove he had any knowledge of them being defective or even if they were defective in the first place.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 03-14-2017 at 11:37 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.

Get notified of new replies

To Ripped off by Jimomatic

Old 03-14-2017, 08:17 PM
snow
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 220 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '17-'18-'19

3 out of 4? seems very strange to me...
Old 03-14-2017, 08:24 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

you bought 4 ''USED'' tires,

id get them re-balanced by somebody that mounts/balances tires for a living,not the tech at a car dealer
Old 03-14-2017, 08:25 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Just an alternative perspective here, if you go to the doctor and he says you have 3 months to live, would you not go get another opinion?

Not that I believe your dealer was being dishonest with you but I would have at least tried to get them balanced elsewhere. Maybe they needed to be busted off the rim and rebalanced.

You did only pay roughly 1/2 what most used tires go for, so while it certainly sucks to feel like you were hosed, it could have been worse. Ultimately only the seller will ever know if this thread was warranted. The risk goes along with any forum purchase of used goods.

Quick Reply: Ripped off by Jimomatic