Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me Save $1,200; Need 1 OEM RunFlat

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 09:44 AM
Essex Stupack
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me Save $1,200; Need 1 OEM RunFlat

Help a fellow Corvette owner save $1,200. That’s about what I’ll be spending on a new set of Michelin Run Flats if I can’t locate one good, used, Goodyear Run Flat, 245/45X17 ZR for the front left of my 2001 C5.

The original tire has a bubble in the outer sidewall. The other 3 tires, with 31,000 miles on them, look amazingly good, and have a good 10,000 miles left on them. But I can't find this tire, used, anywhere in the country. There is virtually no secondary market for Run Flats. I was hoping I wouldn’t have to buy a new set of tires for a year.

While sincere thanks go out to the few posters here who have responded to my request for this tire, thus far I haven’t found the right tire at the right price for my purposes. If anyone has the tire I need, I’d sure like to hear from you. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:05 AM
Essex Stupack
Heel & Toe

Default Still Searching

I'm still searching for this tire.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:02 AM
crosstheline
Pro

Originally Posted by Essex Stupack
Help a fellow Corvette owner save $1,200. That’s about what I’ll be spending on a new set of Michelin Run Flats if I can’t locate one good, used, Goodyear Run Flat, 245/45X17 ZR for the front left of my 2001 C5.

The original tire has a bubble in the outer sidewall. The other 3 tires, with 31,000 miles on them, look amazingly good, and have a good 10,000 miles left on them. But I can't find this tire, used, anywhere in the country. There is virtually no secondary market for Run Flats. I was hoping I wouldn’t have to buy a new set of tires for a year.

While sincere thanks go out to the few posters here who have responded to my request for this tire, thus far I haven’t found the right tire at the right price for my purposes. If anyone has the tire I need, I’d sure like to hear from you. Thanks.

I might have a full set of Goodyear Run Flats for sale. 275/40/18 and 245/45/17. The tires only have 8,000 miles on them. I would give you a deal on them.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:20 PM
Essex Stupack
Heel & Toe

Default Thanks....but

Thanks,
I sure appreciate it. But I just require one tire for about a year. I'll be buying a new set of Michelin run flats come next spring, and just need one good used OEM for the front left until then.

The perfect tire would have between 20 and 30K on it and be evenly worn, with no bubbles in the sidewalls.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:09 PM
mbroadway
Pro

Default Did you find one yet?

I just bought a 2001 coupe. It has the original Goodyear runflats on it. They currently have 22K miles on them, but still have about 1/4 inch of tread left. When I got it inspected this weekend, the guy told me I should buy new tires soon. He said they are wearing a little unevenly. What he showed me was this: if you run your hand around the tire, along the tread, you can feel that the tread surface is a little wavy. It kind of goes in and out. Not a lot, but some. He said it was probably a balance issue. This is in the circumference of the tread, not side to side.

I'm going to be buying the Michelin runflats soon, so these will be for sale. I'd like to sell all four or sell them in pairs. If you would be interested in the front pair, let me know. I know you only need one, but this way you could pick the best one. I actually only checked the right one when the guy showed me what he was talking about, so the left one may be better or worse. They seem fine on the car, just noisier than I like. And the GY tires run kind of rough, especially with the Z51 suspension I've got. If you're interested in the pair, let me know what kind of price you're trying to hit. I don't know what shipping would run, but I guess it depends on where you're located.

If you're not interested, let know, because I'll probably advertise them locally and see if I can get part of my Michelin price back.

Good luck

Michael in KC
Old 03-26-2008, 11:24 PM
Essex Stupack
Heel & Toe

Michael,
I'm looking to spend about $125 for just one tire. I doubt you could ship 2 tires for that price, nor would you probably want to. However, I thank you. Mike in 07090.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:27 PM
mbroadway
Pro

Default Good luck.

I hope you find the one you're looking for. Have you tried the tire stores in your area? Obviously they have a lot of used tires that they take off cars. You might make some calls and tell them what you're looking for. If they don't have it they can keep their eyes open for one.

Just a suggestion.

Good luck on your search.

Michael
Old 03-26-2008, 11:33 PM
Essex Stupack
Heel & Toe

Thanks. Been there, done that, all too long now. These tires go to Run Flat Heaven. I'll give it just a little more time. Serious driving season approaches and I don't want to drive any long distances on that suspect front left. Maybe we can get a deal on two sets of Michelin run flats, huh? In any case, enjoy your Corvette.

Mike
Old 03-26-2008, 11:38 PM
mbroadway
Pro

Default Maybe so...

I was surprised when I was pricing them. Sears wanted $1,300 (without mounting and balancing) and the Chevy dealer priced them at $1,166 mounted and balanced. Shocked me.

Good luck and enjoy your driving. If you get a flat, you can still drive home (if you're not over 50 miles away and keep it under 55mph.)

Michael
Old 03-26-2008, 11:52 PM
Essex Stupack
Heel & Toe

That $1,166 price is pretty much what a top notch tire place in these environs wants for a set of Michelin run flats, mounted and balanced. If the Corvette is not your daily driver, you'll have them for years.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:41 AM
mbroadway
Pro

Default Hope so...

It's not my daily driver. I've only had it for a week and a half, and I've been wanting to drive it more, but it's been raining almost every day except for two. I heard on the news tonight we're supposed to have rain every day until TUESDAY! So it will sit in my garage, all nice and clean and waxed up until Tuesday. Six days. Bummer.

I'm ready for summer.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:56 PM
Essex Stupack
Heel & Toe

Funny you should mention rain. I never take the Corvette out if it's raining. However, it's rained plenty of times after I've taken it out. Usually it rains just long enough to ruin my car wash. And of course it's rained on long trips. That's to be expected.

I joke to folks...you know how when someone selling a Vette puts in the ad, "Never driven in rain?" Well, if I ever go to sell mine, I'll write, "Only driven in rain."

Well, you'll get some dry days. I went to college in Iowa and seem to recall some rather dry weather...quite different than what you folks have been having of late.

I once had a date with a girl at a college in northern Missouri. I had a Triumph TR4A. Of course I wanted to arrive with the top down. But it started raining. So I stopped to put the top up. When it stopped, I stopped to put the top down again...maybe did that twice or thrice more. I arrived late. She told the gal at the sorority house reception desk to say she had gone. That was a long time ago.

You're going to really enjoy yourself. Not only is the car good at what it's supposed to do, but it's also a very good car. How far out of Kansas City 'til you hit country roads?

Mike
Old 04-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Essex Stupack
Heel & Toe

Fellow Corvette Enthusiasts:

I'm still looking for this tire. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Essex Stupack
Heel & Toe

Yep, the never-ending search for this tire continues.

I'm sure that somewhere, in these great United States, a fellow Corvette owner has the perfect front tire for my 2001 C5. It's evenly worn, has half its life left, has perfect sidewalls, no patches, and is priced at less than $100 plus shipping. I just know it.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Essex Stupack
Heel & Toe

Updating this post to give it some attention

Get notified of new replies

To Help me Save $1,200; Need 1 OEM RunFlat

Quick Reply: Help me Save $1,200; Need 1 OEM RunFlat