Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Michelin RF looks

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 11:58 PM
C6Whatever
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Default C6 Michelin RF looks

I have read several post from Michelin tire owners that say they don't like the way they look....
What don't you like about the way they look and are they PS or AS?
I am only interested in finding out about the RFs.

Lisa
Old 10-09-2012, 10:32 AM
my50thAE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same situation that I am in. I am in the process of evaluating new tires for my '03 Anniversary Edition coupe. It still has the original GY Run Flats with 11,000 miles. What I have found is the Michelin A/S ZP tire tread width is about 1 inch narrower than the GY tires. The section width of the tire is also narrower which makes them not look as "meaty" on the car. I looked at a lot of C5 Vettes at Corvettes at Carlisle this year and talked to the owners. Not that big of a deal according to them. They love the Michelins!

I know there are other manufacturers (Hankook, BFG) and others that make tires as wide as the GY RF but they are not RF.

It's just an asthetic thing and no one else will notice. You want the safest tire you can get.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:01 PM
C6Whatever
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Craig I agree with you on getting the safest tire. I am just trying to decide between the PS and the AS. Everyone says they love their Michelins or they don't like the look or feel. Just can't get them to state whether they Re running the PS or AS...

I live in La. So mostly good hot weather but we do get some cold in the winter... It's a lot of money to me so I just want to make the right selection first time around. I still have the original OEM Goodyear on the car with 15700 miles on them

Lisa
Old 10-09-2012, 01:40 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

I have 2 sets of Michelin PS2 ZP tires - both on OE ZR1 wheels. One set is on the ZR1, and the other is on the Z06.

As far as how they look, as far as i'm concerned they look just like any other tire! Below are some pics on both cars - keep in mind that ZR1 wheels are on both cars.

I live in Florida, so the PS2 ZP works for me.

They might be more expensive, but they're going to last much longer than the OE Goodyears on the Z06 did. The PS2 ZP's on the Z06 had about 10,000 miles on the ZR1 before I got new wheels/tires for the ZR1 and put the original wheels on the Z06.

The ones on the Z06 now have about 15,000 street miles on them, and about 7 days of hard track driving, and they look like they still have 10,000 miles of tread left on them. I liked the Goodyears okay for street driving, but like the PS2 ZP's MUCH BETTER for the track!!

Bob

Old 10-09-2012, 03:47 PM
my50thAE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Whatever
Craig I agree with you on getting the safest tire. I am just trying to decide between the PS and the AS. Everyone says they love their Michelins or they don't like the look or feel. Just can't get them to state whether they Re running the PS or AS...

I live in La. So mostly good hot weather but we do get some cold in the winter... It's a lot of money to me so I just want to make the right selection first time around. I still have the original OEM Goodyear on the car with 15700 miles on them

Lisa
Lisa,
Living where you do I would probably go for the PS. Up here where I live in the North, the only reason I would even consider the A/S is because I plan to drive the Vette when it's cold out, too. No snow or ice driving, but we gets a lot of days when it's below 32 deg and they say that the A/S is better in those temps than the PS which is a "warm weather tire" From what I have read they are comparable in handling, but I am sure the PS are quieter than the A/S. Check out Tire Rack for reviews by other Vette owners if you haven't already and good luck! Hopefully someone else will respond to your post and help ease your mind. http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp

Craig
Old 10-09-2012, 07:27 PM
richp5
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I just had the A/S installed and they aren't as meaty looking from behind
as the Goodyears. I was considering the Firestone RF as they are comparable in width to the Goodyears but for $100 more for four I went with the Michelins. Very quiet so far but again I had 21K miles on my original tires.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Michelin RF looks

Quick Reply: C6 Michelin RF looks