Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitto 05 vs 05R vs Hoosier Advice

Old 10-24-2013, 10:42 AM
Mosler MT 900S
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Nitto 05 vs 05R vs Hoosier Advice

I have been running Hoosier A-6's for 2 years now and it is time to make a change. I am really tired of two issues number one the rocks it throws on the car, and the lack of stick when it gets cold out. Another Mosler owner was using the NT-05R with a 680 HP car and he said they hooked up and did not spin. He suggested I use them on the rear and the best Michelins available on the front.

I am currently running 345/30/19 on the rear and 285/30/18 on the front. The car is a Mosler that weighs 2,400 pounds and has 800 HP at the crank.

I was hoping I could find someone with experience with these tires on the street. I called Nitto direct and one of their distributers but I had no luck for advice.

I am mostly concerned with the weaker sidewall on the R's for handling but the question I can not get a firm answer on is how bad it will actually affect handling. My un-educated thought is that it can't be that bad since it is a 30 series tire and there isn't that much sidewall to begin with.

I would appreciate any advice i can get.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:11 PM
Mosler MT 900S
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I posted this on 2 forums and there have been very few replies. Maybe with some more specific information someone here will have some recent experience they could relate.

The best advice I have been given so far is that the 05R's will connect even with the HP I have. What I am looking for here is to compare how each tire will perform under hard acceleration.

So if I switch to the 05R's I was worried that they will have week sidewalls necessary for acceleration but bad for handling.

I was told that this would not be an issue as long as I make sure the rims are 1/2 inch to 1 inch wider then the molded width of the Nitto's. This concept is new to me and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this.
Basically as I understand it this process would try to keep the sticky nature of the R tire while limiting the possible wobbling on the tire for handling.

And the last question does the 05R pick up and throw rocks like the A-6's.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,071 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by Mosler MT 900S
I posted this on 2 forums and there have been very few replies. Maybe with some more specific information someone here will have some recent experience they could relate.

The best advice I have been given so far is that the 05R's will connect even with the HP I have. What I am looking for here is to compare how each tire will perform under hard acceleration.

So if I switch to the 05R's I was worried that they will have week sidewalls necessary for acceleration but bad for handling.

I was told that this would not be an issue as long as I make sure the rims are 1/2 inch to 1 inch wider then the molded width of the Nitto's. This concept is new to me and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this.
Basically as I understand it this process would try to keep the sticky nature of the R tire while limiting the possible wobbling on the tire for handling.

And the last question does the 05R pick up and throw rocks like the A-6's.
A Nitto 05R will not give you the grip that the Hoosier A's give. They have slightly more grip ice cold but not much and after 3 corners the favor tips to the Hoosiers. I don't know how close to the limit you drive so I have no way of knowing whether or not the available grip from the Hoosier is meaningful but if you're using most and sometimes all the grip the Hoosier has you will have to adjust your driving accordingly for Nitto's lack of grip.

The wider wheel gives the sidewall more support and has shown to increase the section width of the tire and increase lateral grip. Take a look at a Porsche GT3 Cup car and the wheel tire combo they run. The wheels are much wider than the molded width of the tire. Problem is the wheels can potentially be damaged by even curbing when running a low profile tire. Even though the wider wheel will help it won't magically infuse grip into the Nitto it just does not have.

The Nitto's will not throw stones like a warm Hoosier does. They do throw some stones though.

I personally can not imagine going backward from a Hoosier or a racing slick to a Nitto anything unless you're driving it on the street back and forth to the track and in the rain. The grip levels are too different and lap times would suffer too much. If I was really concerned about the rocks I would double or even triple layer some protective film and call it good. Those are my thoughts.

Last edited by Racingswh; 11-01-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:33 AM
meinersk
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Sounds like trying to have your cake and eat it....taller nt05 r will give u great straight line acceration and not so great turning....ive heard alot of roadracers say michelin sport cups for the track...anf hoosier a6...and ive heard nittos when heated loss there grip around the tracl...im getting 35 tall nto5 for street...i have mick t for drag 45 tall and for road racing not sure
Old 12-15-2013, 01:03 PM
l7i7o7n
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mosler MT 900S
I have been running Hoosier A-6's for 2 years now and it is time to make a change. I am really tired of two issues number one the rocks it throws on the car, and the lack of stick when it gets cold out. Another Mosler owner was using the NT-05R with a 680 HP car and he said they hooked up and did not spin. He suggested I use them on the rear and the best Michelins available on the front.

I am currently running 345/30/19 on the rear and 285/30/18 on the front. The car is a Mosler that weighs 2,400 pounds and has 800 HP at the crank.

I was hoping I could find someone with experience with these tires on the street. I called Nitto direct and one of their distributers but I had no luck for advice.

I am mostly concerned with the weaker sidewall on the R's for handling but the question I can not get a firm answer on is how bad it will actually affect handling. My un-educated thought is that it can't be that bad since it is a 30 series tire and there isn't that much sidewall to begin with.

I would appreciate any advice i can get.
I have a solution for your issue. you need to go to the TOYO PROXES R888. The are great for the track when they warm up, and great in turns, and they have awesome feedback. I had tried everything and couldn't get street tire to stick. Michelin, Hankook, Nitto, then Toyo and I have a 3600 stall and boy did it wake the take off in the car up on the street and the track.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:16 PM
0philstireservice
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting array of answers. Most of which are valid in a convoluted sort of way.

Get notified of new replies

To Nitto 05 vs 05R vs Hoosier Advice

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nitto 05 vs 05R vs Hoosier Advice