Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Refinishing chrome wheels -painting black

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 01:05 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Refinishing chrome wheels -painting black

Id like to paint my chrome base c6 wheels. I have a spray gun but would rather use rattle cans for this - cheaper, simpler (my spray gun is old and Its a hike to the store that sells automotive painting supplies), and Im not trying to be **** about a perfect finish.

The goal is a clear coated black.

After sanding down the wheels and priming, should I use a gloss black or a satin black before clear coating? Im asking because typically with a spray gun your color paint is flat and the clear gives all the gloss - Im worried about adhesion of the clear if using a gloss color coat from a can.

also what do you guys use to cover the wheel surfaces that will contact the rotors and lug nuts- just tape?

thanks!

Old 12-15-2013, 10:51 AM
l7i7o7n
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not spray paint it because the brake dust is going to tear the paint up and fast, after about 2 months it going to look like crap. You should ask around for a local powder coating company and they will do it for you for about 100 dollars a rim if you sand it down and remove the chrome. I turned my chrome rims black and i had awesome results.

Quick Reply: Refinishing chrome wheels -painting black