Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Few questions C4 Fanblades/Razorblades

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 08:45 PM
Zekkal
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few questions C4 fanblades/Salad Shooters

Hey everyone, new member here. Just bought a set of C4 Corvette wheels 17x9.5. They appeared to be in good shape when I purchased them but when they were shipped he didn't protect them properly so the lips were damaged. At first I stripped the paint the previous owner had painted them, which was a LOT easier than I had expected.

My plan at the time was to Polish the faces and leave the windows textured. When dismounting the tires we found a crack on the inside barrel of one of them.

I began talking to my buddy at a wheel repair shop. He needed a set of wheels to drive on while he refinished his. So I agreed to let him borrow one of my extra sets while he repainted his and he said he would have one of the guys repair the crack.
So I got to work polishing the faces. The grime and grease that I couldn't get off was bothering me... along with a lot of curbage that I knew I couldn't fix.

So I gave him another call and asked what the best method to get them clean without damaging the texture in the aluminum was. He offered to fix the wheels at the shop for free because I let him borrow my wheels. So I offered him the wheels until spring when the weather is a bit nicer. That way he doesn't damage his newly painted wheels in the snow/salt and all the potholes around here. He happily agreed. I dropped them off with him last week. Apparently all 4 of them were bent in some way or another. While fixing them they even welded a bead around the outer lip and machined it back down to get rid of the Curbage. I picked them up tonight and they look amazing!

Now I have a few questions.
Where is a good place to look for replacement Center Caps (these look terrible). I'm hesitant to buy from Ebay or other places because I don't know if they will fit properly.
Next, what is the proper name of these? I've heard them called Fan Blades and Razor Blades.
I'm not even sure exactly what year they came off of. According to a link to C4 wheels I've found they came on the '90 base model. (C4 Wheels) I know they aren't the 35th Anniversary wheels, because they have the exposed lugs as opposed to the cap that covers them.

Last edited by Zekkal; 02-28-2014 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Wrong Title
Old 02-28-2014, 09:45 PM
Zekkal
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are a few pictures of the wheels being refinished. Plus a few of the finished product.

Here is one wheel after it was machined, still needs a clear coat.

Same wheel after it was Clear coated

The finished set

and 2 pictures of them I took tonight

Overall they turned out pretty nice, the lips have a few spots they didn't machine down enough, on the very edge, tire side. But I'm not going to complain.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:56 PM
solaris_vii
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow those look fantastic!

Get notified of new replies

To Few questions C4 Fanblades/Razorblades

Quick Reply: Few questions C4 Fanblades/Razorblades