Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot SUPER Sports Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 02:02 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Default Michelin Pilot SUPER Sports Tires

I think many have extolled the virtues of the new Michelin PSS tire on the street, the track, and (mostly) in the dry. It costs less and lasts longer, yet is stickier.
Well I have just returned (alive) from a 140 mile (roundtrip) drive to DFW Airport in 22 degree weather with freezing drizzle, sleet, and yes, ICE on the ground and roads. I am (here) pleased to say that these new SUMMER, extreme performance tires are "adequate" in the conditions listed above, in that I survived. I had a slide or two, but did NOT go off road, into anything, and (mostly) maintained control. I can say that they are significantly better than (say) the Michelin PS2 and Bridgestone RE050A Pole Polition tire in "inclement" conditions. Yes, I realize that I was using this "tool" outside of it's performance envelope, but I post this "test" because occasionally we all get caught out in weather and have do with what we have at that time. Disclaimer: Your results may differ. Kids, don't try this at home...etc.

Last edited by 63Corvette; 03-02-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:50 PM
DezVette
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Nice, but I opted for the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. Even though the most extreme weather I deal with is 53 degrees and 2-3" of rain.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:18 PM
envyz06
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

good to hear, plan on switching over soon.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:36 PM
ch47d1sg
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

heard the ss tires did not perform on the track as well as the ps2 or the cups,,,
Old 03-03-2014, 08:58 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ch47d1sg
heard the ss tires did not perform on the track as well as the ps2 or the cups,,,
They (PSS) are NOT Cups............they have a UTOG of 300
Old 03-04-2014, 09:41 PM
ch47d1sg
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
They (PSS) are NOT Cups............they have a UTOG of 300
totally understand they are not cups (80) but pro drivers tested them against the PS2 on the ne C7 in pre production and they did not perform as well on the track. Maybe they changed them since then. Non slamming the tires or the mfg. just relaying observations...
Old 03-13-2014, 01:06 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

I think many have extolled the virtues of the new Michelin PSS tire on the street, the track, and (mostly) in the dry. It costs less and lasts longer, yet is stickier.
Well I have just returned (alive) from a 140 mile (roundtrip) drive to DFW Airport in 22 degree weather with freezing drizzle, sleet, and yes, ICE on the ground and roads. I am (here) pleased to say that these new SUMMER, extreme performance tires are "adequate" in the conditions listed above, in that I survived. I had a slide or two, but did NOT go off road, into anything, and (mostly) maintained control. I can say that they are significantly better than (say) the Michelin PS2 and Bridgestone RE050A Pole Polition tire in "inclement" conditions. Yes, I realize that I was using this "tool" outside of it's performance envelope, but I post this "test" because occasionally we all get caught out in weather and have do with what we have at that time. Disclaimer: Your results may differ. Kids, don't try this at home...etc.
David,

Great to read your report.

Have you had the Pilot Super Sport tires on a track in dry weather? If so, how to they handle compared to Pilot Sport PS2s?
Old 03-16-2014, 01:12 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Pumba
David,

Great to read your report.

Have you had the Pilot Super Sport tires on a track in dry weather? If so, how to they handle compared to Pilot Sport PS2s?
Pumba I run scrub slicks on the track (from forum vendor GT Racing Tire). However, most Forum members who HAVE run these tires on track say that hey are better than PS2 and are currently the best all around extreme performance tire available.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:24 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Pumba I run scrub slicks on the track (from forum vendor GT Racing Tire). However, most Forum members who HAVE run these tires on track say that hey are better than PS2 and are currently the best all around extreme performance tire available.
Thanks for the info.

I want to run some of the Ultimate Sports Car Association events and my brakes are too large to use B.F. Goodrich Rivals, so I will end up buying Pilot Super Sports in 305/30R19s for the front and 325/25R20s for the rear.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:20 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Pumba
Thanks for the info.

I want to run some of the Ultimate Sports Car Association events and my brakes are too large to use B.F. Goodrich Rivals, so I will end up buying Pilot Super Sports in 305/30R19s for the front and 325/25R20s for the rear.

Nitto NT-o1 (DOT race tire) or NT-05 (street tire) would be my recommendation, because they stick really well, and are much cheaper than the PSS.

Get notified of new replies

To Michelin Pilot SUPER Sports Tires

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot SUPER Sports Tires